I just bought a new 30 GB iPod with video...

I have a 30gb ipod video as well, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. There are a few things that might be causing your music to sound bad. Are your headphones in good condition? Is the sound track on your ipod of a high quality, or have you compressed it? Also, you may want to check your equalizer settings.

I love the way drum corps sounds on my ipod. I have about 40 different DC audio files. They're mostly shows, but a few warmups, chord progressions, and battery warmups as well. I also have in video:

1989 SCV

1989 Phantom

I had 1989 Cadets, but I wasn't able to get the audio to synch up with the video using my converter. Watching a drum corps show where there's a 20 second split in audio and video=no fun.

1992 SCV

1995 Cavaliers

1997 BD

Cadets 2000

Cavaliers 2000

Cavaliers 2001

Cavaliers 2002

Cavaliers 2003

Blue Devils 2004

Blue Devils 2004 in a victory arc

Cavaliers 2004

Cadets 2005

I also have Battery Battle and Malaguena from Blast! in video format.

Edited by flashofthunder

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the problem is that all of the shows are not from CD and are from...somewhere else. However, these files sounded great on my older iPod.

I'd be thrilled if my ipod cranked out enough volume to make me go deaf, maybe i'm already deaf from all those hornline years lol who knows?

I have a 60GB Video iPod. Here's what I do to ensure that my drum corps is as ear shattering as I like:

1. Set the EQ to R&B. The way DCI engineers their recordings, this setting brings out the low end without hurting the middle and high end sounds.

2. Sony Fontopia headphones. I never know in-ear headphones could sound so good. If I could afford the models from Shure, I'd have those.

3. Turn off Sound Check. Having this setting on is all right when you play your iPod through a stereo, but drum corps tracks are engineered quieter than average to begin with and Sound Check drops the overall volume even more. When I said ear shattering, I wasn't kidding, so Sound Check is a no-no.

4. If you've installed the latest firmware update, raise the new Volume Limit to the highest level. If a drum corps track is actually too loud for you, you have the smarts to turn down the volume without the iPod getting in the way.

I've been using Vocal Boost based just on my subjective putzing around, but I'll try a few years of our friends in gold using R&B and see how it sounds.

Can you expand on the sound check? I've always used it to keep from uneven volume levels on burned disks.

i use Phillips virtual surround sound headphones with my 3G iPod(scroll wheel w/o the color screen). They are about $20 at best buy, and they have rubber ear things so they Actually fit in your ear and stay there. They truly block out other sounds at the gym and sound great. I believe the model number is HE592. You can find then pretty cheap on ebay if your intrested.

Apple Lossless....nuff said!

Sound check off makes normal music louder, but I've found that as far as DCI recordings go, it varies as far as making it louder/softer. Test it out....it definitely makes a difference.

I prefer the acoustic setting.....if you're interested in looking more into that, I posted a thread a while back asking about which settings people listen to DCI on their ipods on. You can probably find some helpful info there. I'll try the R&B one out next time I'm listening to my ipod.

I just bought a pair of Philips HE592's, actually....they work well, and are LOUD, but the reciever is a little too wide for my ears. I think my ears are kind of small? They indeed were $20 at Best Buy (I got them at Best Buy as well), good deal. They're probably great with people with normal or large sized ears, but that could be me speaking out of bitterness? I don't know.

I had a pair of Sony's before that, that worked really well and were EXTREMELY comfortable (flexible shell behind the part that goes in your ears, so they're much less likely to make you sore), but they stopped working in one ear. I'm going to try and get a reciept from the computer store on campus (I had lost mine.....I bought them in the computer store originally), and email Sony or something and maybe get a new pair.

P&P, are you referring to the Griffin Ear Buds? I had bought those for the old (terrible) ipod headphones, but they had the same working-in-one-ear problem. Ugh.

This may be a bit off topic.....

Oh my goodness, this just makes me lose faith in the human race! That is just as rediculous as people suing tobacco companies for them getting cancer! If you don't want to get cancer, QUIT SMOKING!!! People also sued McDonald's! If you don't want to get fat and have a heart attack, DON'T EAT AT MCDONALD'S!!!! And on the same token, if you don't want to go deaf, DON'T TURN YOUR IPOD TO DEAFENING LEVELS!!!! Headphones have been out for decades! I can't believe people can still sue Apple because they don't know how to use them responsibly! The American legal system needs to be looked at. If the problem is the consumer's fault and not the manufacturer's, DISMISS THE LAWSUIT!!!!! :huh:

Side note: Before you yell at me about how evil tobacco companies are, I smoked for a number of years and I QUIT because I don't want to get cancer and it interferes with my ability to do drum corps. My grandmother smoked 4 packs a day of unfiltered Camels for 50 years and she was able to quit. If she was able to do that, you can quit too and you have no business blaming the tobacco companies for your cancer, especially in this day and age! And if I ever do start smoking again and I die of cancer, I will blame nobody but my own stupid self!

End of rant.

Similarly off topic, but when did you quit? I could swear I just saw you smoking 2 weekends ago...you've already managed to quit since then? If so, congrats man, that's impressive, and good for you.

I agree though, people are ridiculous.

P&P, are you referring to the Griffin Ear Buds? I had bought those for the old (terrible) ipod headphones, but they had the same working-in-one-ear problem. Ugh.

Go here Jared:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nplm=M9394G%2FA

they're pretty good... comfortable, boost the bass a little, and they have multiple sized buds that you can take off or put on, so it's good for those with little ears :P