Suprises of 2006

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for my bad choice of words here. You might have misunderstood me. I have no issues with your design. I really have no problem how any corps designs their shows and you guys have some of the best. Consider me only as an "arm chair" fan who marched over a decade ago. What I meant in my post regarding the "big boys" had to do with I guess all the "drama" the corps has experienced especially regarding the guard and some comments I've read in member's blogs (which I don't want to get into). If I was a director with a corps who had many kids under 18 I would handle it differently than a corps that has most its members in college (big boys). Sure everyone deserves some freedom, but dealing with kids still underage is a much harder responsibility. Again I apologize!

As far as "acting like the big boys", I would say the design team shoulders a great deal of responsibility when it comes to that. Since 2004, with the addition of Wayne Dillon as program coordinator, and Jay Bocook and Jeff Sacktig of The Cadets writing for brass and drill, respectively, the musical and visual demand has been upped to something comparable to the corps far ahead of us. I will be the first to admit that the demand placed upon our group might have been above our heads and beyond our talent level, however I believe the members embraced the challenges presented to us and we did our best with what we were given. I know I sure am proud of what we were able to accomplish last year. And once again, I must insist that, as a whole, we did put a great deal of energy into what we did. If it's true that a brass staff member felt this way, he certainly didn't voice it to us.

Thank you for the compliments, though! I agree, the show did come a long way throughout the season [THANK GOD!] , and although I'm biased, it's one of my favorites on the CDs as well. Exciting stuff! :P

I'm sorry for my bad choice of words here. You might have misunderstood me. I have no issues with your design. I really have no problem how any corps designs their shows and you guys have some of the best. Consider me only as an "arm chair" fan who marched over a decade ago. What I meant in my post regarding the "big boys" had to do with I guess all the "drama" the corps has experienced especially regarding the guard and some comments I've read in member's blogs (which I don't want to get into). If I was a director with a corps who had many kids under 18 I would handle it differently than a corps that has most its members in college (big boys). Sure everyone deserves some freedom, but dealing with kids still underage is a much harder responsibility. Again I apologize!

No need to apologize, Whiskey! I did misunderstand you but now I see what you're saying. I certainly hope my reply didn't come off as harsh or angry...no disrespect intended! We had our fair share of drama over the course of the season, to be sure...although any drama that happened in the guard I tried to steer clear of as I am but a humble mellophone player! :)

I think that if Capital Regiment is to move up in the ranks, it won't become obvious until the very end of the season. I believe SCV will start to make its way back to where it has been the past several years, although that's probably not TOO surprising. I believe Blue Stars will make it into semis and as for anyone else, it's way too tight to even venture a guess!

cadets out of top 3

phantom out of top 5

vanguard out of top 6

crossmen in top 8

crown out of top 8

semis feature all former finalists.

13-spirit

14-colts

15-seattle

16-magic

17 blue stars

cadets out of top 3

phantom out of top 5

vanguard out of top 6

crossmen in top 8

crown out of top 8

semis feature all former finalists.

13-spirit

14-colts

15-seattle

16-magic

17 blue stars

If Cadets are out of the top 3, Phantom is out of the top 5, and Vanguard is out of the top 6, where do you see the rest of the corps stacking up in the top 6?

If Cadets are out of the top 3, Phantom is out of the top 5, and Vanguard is out of the top 6, where do you see the rest of the corps stacking up in the top 6?

well since you asked .

1 - Blue Devils / sound clips sound great / theyare due.

2 - Cavies / machine sounds like a great concept.

3 - Madison / in Madison / on the rebound.

4 - Cadets / same tricks as last year / a little over the top.

5 - Bluecoats / steady moving up / drums.

6 - Phantom / dont like the tunes.

7 - Vanguard / not yet.

8 - Crossmen / new visual staff / new brass arrangments.

9 - Crown / something tells me they are not telling anything for a bad reason.

10 - Blue Knights / solid.

11 - Boston / see crown.

12 - Glassmen / europe will take its toll but sneak in.

13 - Spirit

14 - Colts

15 - Seattle

16 - Magic

17 - Blue stars

just predictions . no flames.

Edited by dcifan2002

I think Glassmen will fall out of the top 12, going to Europe and coming back will always hurt a corps.

Except when Madison went to Europe in 1988 and came back to win the DCI Championships.

ContraRich77 Posted Today, 12:07 PM

QUOTE(AzEuph @ Apr 10 2006, 12:18 PM) *

I think Glassmen will fall out of the top 12, going to Europe and coming back will always hurt a corps.

Except when Madison went to Europe in 1988 and came back to win the DCI Championships.

K find me another example of when a corps went to Europe and did good. I shouldn't say always but in the recent past it has shown that way. Anyways isn't this topic titled surpirses, #### they could come back and win and that would be a surprise!

Someone on their brass staff told me personally, he was very frustrated about this and said that was their only problem, now why would a staff give up on someone...? Could it be unenthusiasm or not wanting to push and work hard enough..? Hmm

the guard staff bailing was just the cherry on top, believe me. on top of the most sour, brown, stinking ice cream sundae you've ever seen. we didn't have closer drill forever, we didn't even field the last 3 minutes of our show until JULY. we didn't even PLAY the last section of the show because it would've been too much for the guard who was learning their 3RD TAKE ON THE SHOW. a visual staff was sent home. conflict between staff was out-freakin-rageous all summer. our administration was doing about 7 different jobs each. we ended up running our own rehearsal one day with a BASS TECH running ensemble, i've heard of some pretty rank bus-break down stories, but none worse than that.

there IS more.

besides the fact that we did the whole drumcorps thing. no sleep, bus rides, rain, heat, sweat, blood, pain and agony so that we could play 11 minutes of music to people who probably weren't there to see us. you know, the "usual" crap an upcoming 14th (2004) ranked corps deals with.

i will never forget when derrick (brass caption) got up and told us that we could either quit, and coast into finals week and wing it on a hope and a prayer for semis...or pull together, set all the BULL S H I T aside and do what we came to do.

15th place biotch. and #### proud of it.

to say we didn't work hard is flat-out ignorance.

Edited by BASTimpanist

SCV's going to struggle again. Too much turnover to overcome in one season. Probably lose to BK.