Google Video Sync?

thats probably because you need more ram

I am running an almost new iMac G5 with 500 megs of ram and using the Safari browser, so I don't think that is the problem.

Also, the sync thing gets progressively worse. Meaning the video and audio start together, but the video starts to drag. This does happen on Google video, but it also happens on the DCI website when I watch the clips in the archive. It doesn't happen on other sites.

So, saying the video is bootleg doesn't seem to be a good excuse, and saying they were recorded out of sync doesn't seem to be the correct diagnosis either.

Maybe I'll call Apple and see what is up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running an almost new iMac G5 with 500 megs of ram and using the Safari browser, so I don't think that is the problem.

Also, the sync thing gets progressively worse. Meaning the video and audio start together, but the video starts to drag. This does happen on Google video, but it also happens on the DCI website when I watch the clips in the archive. It doesn't happen on other sites.

So, saying the video is bootleg doesn't seem to be a good excuse, and saying they were recorded out of sync doesn't seem to be the correct diagnosis either.

Maybe I'll call Apple and see what is up.

try using a different browser.. i still say its a ram issue. i watch those same videos, bootlegged or not.. and i never have any issues. streaming, or the actual file locally. i have a 3200+ athlon XP 64bit with 1.5gb ddr ram.. i would normally just say that its because your on a mac :P but i dont feel like getting into a mac/pc debate lol

my bet is a ram/cpu issue.. either physical ram, cpu usage, browser memory issue, etc.. especially because you said it starts out fine, but gets worse as it goes on longer. its not a bandwidth issue.. and its not a recording sync issue (i know because i have the original videos and they work fine).. it MIGHT be a google issue, where it doesnt convert it correctly through flash, but thats not the issue either because none of the computers ive viewed it on has any issues

All these "armchair quarterback" computer techs in here!!! LOL

I better not say anymore. The video syncs fine on all of my computers, even the slow PIII500 with 256MB RAM. Perhaps it's an issue with Safari?

This issue is simple, really. It has nothing to do with your operating system, or computer, or Internet browser. It's just that someone was dumb enough not to make sure the audio and video synced up when uploading the videos. It happens with a good majority of the ones on there.

What I do is just turn down the video's sound, open the track in iTunes, and sync it up by guess and check.

They contain no sound, when it was sent online, the audio of the proceeding clip overlapped in the absence of sound in the title page. Therefore, the visual of the title page took a few second but the audio of the preceeding was assumed by the google processing to start immediately. That's why there's no sync.

That was actually my notion too, but I don't think it's the whole problem. To test it I recorded an MP3 of the music on the Boston 2000 video and then tried to play it back over the video, synching the two myself. I got the synch correct, so theoretically it should have played perfectly, but as the video went on it gradually began to phase; by the end, the marchers had finished the show and I was still hearing music.

The primary issue is that of the title screens for the videos. That right there sets up the several seconds worth of unmatched audio/video.

Beyond that, it may or may not get worse based upon outside and unrelated factors to the file of the video itself.

If that were the case, wouldn't all videos be prone to a degree of phasing? Because all but a few Google videos (even outside of drum corps shows) work for me with no noticible synch problems. I had approximately the same problem once when I burned some shows onto a CD formatted to play on DVD players; it started off correctly, but as the show went on the sound and the picture began to phase more and more. I agree that the title splash is probably a major factor, but I have a feeling that those tapes were just a little..slow when they were ripped.

If that were the case, wouldn't all videos be prone to a degree of phasing? Because all but a few Google videos (even outside of drum corps shows) work for me with no noticible synch problems. I had approximately the same problem once when I burned some shows onto a CD formatted to play on DVD players; it started off correctly, but as the show went on the sound and the picture began to phase more and more. I agree that the title splash is probably a major factor, but I have a feeling that those tapes were just a little..slow when they were ripped.

Don't worry about it, it's just the original file's encoding

All these "armchair quarterback" computer techs in here!!! LOL

I better not say anymore. The video syncs fine on all of my computers, even the slow PIII500 with 256MB RAM. Perhaps it's an issue with Safari?

thats what im saying. its a memory issue with the software.

think about it..

you have a video streaming.

person 1: has sync issues

person 2: has no sync issues

therefore.. no matter what excuse people say, its NOT a sync issue with the video. there are a lot of other possibilities.. but unless the sync is wrong for EVERYONE.. then you can say its a sync issue. until then.. you cant. its called troubleshooting.

and yes.. i am a computer tech.. as a job, and when i was in the navy.

Don't worry about it, it's just the original file's encoding

its not. i have the original files (before being uploaded to the internet) and they are sync'd properly. dont like that fact? thats not my problem.. im just telling you.. thats how it is. :)