• Phantom Regiment
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Stars
  3. 3. Best looking shako

• Blue Devils
    • Cadets
    • Southwind
    • Carolina Crown

The difference between a Cavalier and a Musketeer??? The Cavalier used to be a cigarette by R.J.Reynolds. The Musketeer, a candy bar by the Mars & Mars Candy Co. :P

Actually, cavaliers were soldiers, usually armed with swords and pistols. Musketeers, armed with swords and matchlock muskets. Both wore "cavalier-style" hats, which were the fashion of the day. "Aussie" hats, as the name suggests, come from cavalry of the British Empire, most specifically Australian. B)

The difference between a Cavalier and a Musketeer??? The Cavalier used to be a cigarette by R.J.Reynolds. The Musketeer, a candy bar by the Mars & Mars Candy Co. :P

Actually, cavaliers were soldiers, usually armed with swords and pistols. Musketeers, armed with swords and matchlock muskets. Both wore "cavalier-style" hats, which were the fashion of the day. "Aussie" hats, as the name suggests, come from cavalry of the British Empire, most specifically Australian. B)

Cool. Thanks for the info. I've actually wondered about that before.

When I think of best headware I think of something distinctive and, in that respect, most corps today are more generic than distinctive, though the helmets worn by a handful of corps are unique.

I have fond memories of the bearskin hats worn by the guards of 27 and Guardsmen, the very tall shakos of the Guardsmen and, as others have mentioned, the one-of-a-kind helmets with the tall horsehair plume of the Black Knights. I'm somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned the Racine Scouts, whose chrome headgear has to be among the most distinctive in the activity today.

Chicago Fan- Looking at your avatar, I would have thought you'd have mentioned the Trooper's 'felt hat.'

If I'm not mistaken, the bearskin hats you mention, are in fact 'feather bonnets.' (common with Scottish, and some Irish units). Only the Grenadier Guards of Buckingham Palace tradition, wore the bearskin cover. (and yes, I have seen 'imitation' bearskin in many old high school and college band photos.)

Nice call on Racines'chrome domes'. (originally worn by French dragoons in the Napoleanic era) :)

"Upon further review..." I incorrectly implied that 27th's guard wore feather bonnets, when they did wear 'bearskin'. My bad.

Edited by markdewine

An early drum instructor I had, used to tell me to,"Put on your thinking cap." I have since, misplaced it. But I remember what it looked like. It was sorta like a leather fighter pilot's helmet, with antenna sticking out, and lights on it !!! b**bs

first of all they're called "sharkos" :)

second of all I thought they were a really neat approach and added alot to the "Distorted Imagination" and really helped the corps sell the show concept..infact had S-dub had the normal cookie cutter solid black shakos, I dont think the show would have been as unique.

same goes for Cadets' hat from '05

Come on man,

Just because something is different, doesn't (I repeat) doesn't make it innovative or cool.

Now, we can argue back and forth between the definition of the word cool, but I won't.

Shoving a long glittering plant in the side of shako does not make you cool and looks stupid on the field. There are different ways you can do things if you want to go for a certain effect that would make it better than that.

Like having a quality program for starters...

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

Come on man,

Just because something is different, doesn't (I repeat) doesn't make it innovative or cool.

Now, we can argue back and forth between the definition of the word cool, but I won't.

Shoving a long glittering plant in the side of shako does not make you cool and looks stupid on the field. There are different ways you can do things if you want to go for a certain effect that would make it better than that.

Like having a quality program for starters...

That's a low blow :sshh:

Well...that is very professional of you. <**> Its not like they aren't out there working hundreds of hours and spending thousands of dollars to entertain you. As a drum corps fan I appreciate everything that is done to give the audience something fresh and new, but that is just me...anybody else feel that way? Sure their shakos aren't the greatest thing out there, but a shako doesn't make a corps.

Thanks for listening. :)

Edited by gbrassboy

Well...that is very professional of you. <**> Its not like they aren't out there working hundreds of hours and spending thousands of dollars to entertain you. As a drum corps fan I appreciate everything that is done to give the audience something fresh and new, but that is just me...anybody else feel that way? Sure their shakos aren't the greatest thing out there, but a shako doesn't make a corps.

Thanks for listening. :)

:laugh::worthy::laugh: