Class Acts In Drum Corps

In 1998 we (Emerald Knights) were down in Florida and we heard that a corps from Quebec was having bus problems & ran out of food. We quickly befriended them, shared a couple of meals with them and gave them blocks of cheeze and crackers and juice for the road. When we heard their bus driver quit, one of our parents drove their bus back to Quebec for them.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it might be nice to share stories about the "flip side." What classy things have you witnessed, been involved with, or heard about, either concering members, staff, or a corps as a whole that you would care to share?

I honestly don't know what part of the above paragraph could possibly be confusing or may be misunderstood. I even provided an example. I THOUGHT I wrote very clearly and easy to understand. However, somehow, this positive thread was taken VERY WRONG with out of nowhere negative comments, and I was unfairly criticized. I was truly amazed. It went downhill after that. To his credit, he did the right thing and appologized.

..(HiSop... you are no doubt looking like this: :beer: )

Absolutely! It's unbelieveable, isn't it, GG?!! It's just so very sad that even a positive thread has to become negative and poisoned with attacks.

Its a shame we can't even give corps their props without getting personal or turning this into a slam fest.

You're absolutely correct, GlassFan. It is truly a shame!

<**>

Could have been a good thread, SHOULD have been a good thread...

Eh, oh well - Welcome to DCP!

"Welcome to DCP" is right! I can see why there are not any more regular posters on DCP than there are. Next time I post a thread topic, it will probably seem like it was written by a child so that no one could possibly misunderstand my meaning and intention. Yeah, I know, someone will spin it negatively anyway and away we go again. I think it would be nice if people would just lighten up. Not sure of a thread's meaning? Simply ask. Thinking before posting might help, too. DCP is starting to be not very much fun for me.

Edited by HISop

In 2004, Phoenix (NJ - Div 3 corps) went inactive in May. By this point most corps were full, shows were on the field, etc. At the time I was Visual Caption head for Phoenix. I was on the phone with Bob Jacobs, director of Jersey Surf, even before we told the kids that we were not going to field the corps (they knew the chance was high already). That same afternoon I drove up from Brick to New Brunswick with about a dozen Phoenix members. We watched Surf's final run-through and Bob spent some time talking to the members about what happened and how Surf was already working on finding ways to get the Phoenix kids into the organization (rewrites, design changes, etc.).

He also allowed me to stay on as a Visual Tech with Surf for the summer and I felt accepted by the other staff and members even though I was a new instructor showing up in May to tech.

A few of those Phoenix kids will be aging out with Surf this summer and truly consider Surf their home now.