Purchasing a Marimba

Maestro767

May I suggest this:

Adams 4.3 Octave Zelon Marimba

This is probably your best bet for under $4000. It is a very sturdy instrument, and will last you a long time. I am very partial to Adams over Musser. Musser keys crack very easily, and the frames warp over a short amount of time. Adams instruments are built much better, with more attention to detail. This is one case where cheaper is NOT better.

Just my $4.37

Evan

Interesting you say that about Musser boards, as one of the guys on our perc staff says he's never seen an Adams board that doesn't have a cracked key. :P

Interesting you say that about Musser boards, as one of the guys on our perc staff says he's never seen an Adams board that doesn't have a cracked key. :P

Heh, I swear by Adams and Yamaha keyboards. Musser keyboards in a high school setting do not last more than 3 years, the keys are pretty durable, but they splinter (I meant to say that the first time, the only time I have ever seen a key crack was when an idiot used a xylo mallet on a high C on a marimba.). Adams keyboards are a very respectable brand in the professional percussion world (their timpani are the best IMHO). Not only do you get a great sounding instrument, but the craftsmanship is far superior to Musser instruments. When you by a keyboard, you go for the total package. Musser frames fall apart, you don't want to have band parents rebuild a frame from scratch. It is all about crafstmanship. I believe the Glassmen are still using Adams keyboards, isn't Phantom too?

Ok, Just my $12.72

Evan

:P

Glassmen are using Dynasty boards now.

Adams frames are also terribly unergonomic--if you can't grab the handles for whatever reason, the rest of the frame is like grabbing sharp sheet metal.

Dynasty frames dont' have that much of the sharp corners (except the plates for the casters...grrrrr) but they're insanely heavy.

Bill.

you may want to have your director check with the dealer about any school discounts. that helped us tremendously at West Perry