Star

Just did...quick question tho. How much was there member fees? I guess I don't know the difference from a corporation owning the corps than just a regular non-profit. Because Bill made it sound like the future of DCI was to have corporations own corps. What would be the impacts of a corporate owned corps vs non corporate owned?

**I am pretty sure that this wasn't in his online history book

Az, if my failing memory serves me correct, it was around $200 or $300. I don't think I could've marched at today's rates. It was actually cheaper for me to fly up there for camps than it would've been to stay in TX with the SkyRiders.

I personally have no problem with your questions. I didn't feel that you were trying to stir anything up so you're all good in my eye. Because of certain things in the past, we're a hyper-sensitive bunch so we sometimes see anomosity where there might not be any.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, guys.... why is everyone jumping all over AZEuph. If you go back and read his posts, it is fairly obvious that his intention was to ask about Star's history. And for that, you guys are jumping all over him. He never ONCE said anything negative about the orginization.

I understand Star has recieved a lot of crap in recent years, but those of us who truely understand the orginization and appreciate everything that Star has contributed to the activity, we know these alligations are false. You can't please everyone, and you have to let the naysers go.

You and I know the real history and the true contribtions, what other people say can't be controlled. And along those lines, jumping all over someone that is simply asking a question about the true upbringing of Star makes the orginization look that much worse.

If you want to share the true history behind Star of Indiana, than make it a positive. You are the ambassadors of the Star legacy, and its your job to provide a positive insight into one of the truely great youth arts orginizations that has ever graced this country. By using these forums to snap at someone with good intentions, you make yourself and Star look that much more guilty of the false rumors that are being spread by a few angry fans.

If you want to jump all over someone for starting a harmless thread, do it in a private message.

In my opinion, not cool

Word :)

Well their buses say Mandrians on them and you can see where it use to say Star on it still if you get the right lighting.

I hear ya, but this does not mean they purchased the buses. Star's bus company did that for other corps as well. For a while, Madison chartered busses from Star's bus company. They had Madison's name added to the busses and striped the busses in their colors. The back of hte busses still had the Star bus company name on them. Mandarins had thier names on busses while they chartered as well. You may be correct that Mandarins did purchase some Star busses; however, I don't think it's safe to assume this simply because of the logo on the bus.

I hear ya, but this does not mean they purchased the buses. Star's bus company did that for other corps as well. For a while, Madison chartered busses from Star's bus company. They had Madison's name added to the busses and striped the busses in their colors. The back of hte busses still had the Star bus company name on them. Mandarins had thier names on busses while they chartered as well. You may be correct that Mandarins did purchase some Star busses; however, I don't think it's safe to assume this simply because of the logo on the bus.

Oh okay, sorry about that. I just figured that since they took the decal of Star off that they owned the rights to the bus. That's a great idea, does anybody know if chartering buses makes more money than bingo? If you have the equipment why not rent them out to others.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh okay, sorry about that. I just figured that since they took the decal of Star off that they owned the rights to the bus. That's a great idea, does anybody know if chartering buses makes more money than bingo? If you have the equipment why not rent them out to others.

It was a great idea then and even better today. I don't know the details, but I would imagine that it could make a lot more than bingo does (unless you have an especially lucrative bingo business going). It would be a full year business, and combined with the air charter and travel agency business that Star had, it was a full compliment of travel services. 22 years later, I am surprised nobody else has tried a similar sort of approach.

Edited by Tekneek

NO NO NO NO

The bus business has very high overhead and very low profit margins.

A new bus? $400 grand. Parts..you dont want to know. Insurance..Disgusting.

I work in the bus industry..trust me..STAY AWAY!!

It was a great idea then and even better today. I don't know the details, but I would imagine that it could make a lot more than bingo does (unless you have an especially lucrative bingo business going). It would be a full year business, and combined with the air charter and travel agency business that Star had, it was a full compliment of travel services. 22 years later, I am surprised nobody else has tried a similar sort of approach.

WRONG..the only corps that has been able to make it work is Spartans..Corps cannot compete in the modern charter and tour market with 15 and 20 year old equipment.

NO NO NO NO

The bus business has very high overhead and very low profit margins.

A new bus? $400 grand. Parts..you dont want to know. Insurance..Disgusting.

I work in the bus industry..trust me..STAY AWAY!!

yep.

I marched Star in 1985. The dues were $100. We paid $10 a camp so we were all paid up by the time first tour started.

And with all due respect Mom Tye, I'll tell whatever stories I wish from my history with Star of Indiana. :P I of course will try not to liable anyone and will change the names to protect the innocent. Hope you are doing well!

Here's a story about buses and insurance.

We're in the brass ensemble room at corps hall one weekend all gathered around Bill Cook. He proceeds to tell us that we had a slight problem - we were having a hard time finding an insurance company to cover us. Bill's Solution? "Well, folks, I now own an insurance company!"

That's when I think I started to realize just what I was geting myself into. And it was not a pretty thought. But I have no regrets.

I think I remember a Maggie. But I believe she may have played Flugel in Pride the winter before the 85' season. It is all a bit fuzzy now, to many years and dead brain cells. As best I can recall I can remember greeting about three Pride members when we first saw 27 at DCI Southeast Durham, NC in June. The names escape me, but I remember you guys had two of our Flugels and at least one soprano (scott?) :rolleyes: Getting old sucks!

I came extremely close to marching 27' that year for you still had a couple holes in May. The fact that you guys were finalists the year before somewhat intimidated me. That and the fact that two of my favorite Pride staff from that year, Steve Suslik and Dave Tippett were at Star sort of swayed me there.

You know Maggie - she was in the guard and was really good friends with Dan Hostetler and Karen Stein. She was from Bloomington and I think her father father taught at IU. Her last name started with a G - Grunwald maybe? I think she lives in Louisville now or Lexington? She came to the reunion.