Question about 96 Cadets "HI MOM"

I'd love to try to find a clip of this.

But yeah, all three corps were scary good in 96 (PR, BD, Cadets), all three hornlines absolutely floor me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, they gave the Olympic committee everything they asked for, and it worked. Every single staff and marching member who I have spoken to about it said it was probably the coolest, most amazing drum corps experience they ever had. And if you were a corps director, and you were asked by the Olympics to do a similar type of show for such a presigious event, you'd be a FOOL not to do it the same way.

Congratulations, Cadets. You did the activity proud that night.

Indeed. Two college buddies of mine marched Cadets '96 and I don't think they'd have traded the Olympics experience for anything. How often does an opportunity like that come along? Anyone who was "offended" by their performance needs to lighten up and realize that drum corps isn't some sort of sacred cow, it's still first and foremost a summer youth activity. It certainly didn't hurt their image as far as I can tell, and for the members ... well, I'll bet that for many of them, it was one of the most incredible experiences they'd ever had as performers. So maybe it didn't gain notoriety for DCI. So what? That's not what it was meant to do. It was meant to entertain the audience, both those in attendance and those watching on TV around the world.

I agree there!

Had you not taken the time to learn the stuff for the gig, how do yo think you guys would've done at DCI...i.e....did doing the Olympics cost you the 96 title? (not that it wasn't a great tradeoff)

Learning the Olympics show did not cost us the title, a stupid frickin' ensemble tear that developed the day of finals cost us the title.

Learning the Olympics show did not cost us the title, a stupid frickin' ensemble tear that developed the day of finals cost us the title.

Ensemble tear? Where exactly did this happen? Everything on the finals recording sounds fine to me...AMAZING show by the way.

There were actually a couple pretty bad ensemble tears in that show. Yet they still won ensemble music...go figure.

As far as DCI East is concerned, didn't the Cadets perform first that evening?? I seem to recall seeing them perform their Olympic routine at J. Birney Crum. Their actual American West show seemed very flat and uninspired that night, but I can see why...they were performing first at DCI East and about to get on a bus for 22 hours.

The show they put on had absolutely nothing to do with this activity.
You're acting as if it was meant to. It was meant to be what it was. Something fun, when the band turns on its leader. Light hearted entertainment. That's what was asked for and that's what was delivered.
You may think that's good exposure, but I disagree.
Because you didn't care for what they did. But to say that a performance in front of 80,000 people and a worldwide TV audience is not good exposure is about the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard.
And while I'm sure it was great for the kids and staff, that does the average viewer at home little good.
You're looking at it as a drum corps fan who has a certain perception of what the Cadets are. You are not "the average viewer." As was mentioned earlier, the Cadets performed a portion of their competitive Amercian West program at the Olympics and received polite (if that) applause. Their Band on the Run segment was FAR more well received by the audience....of "average" viewers. The difference was striking.

Ensemble tear? Where exactly did this happen? Everything on the finals recording sounds fine to me...AMAZING show by the way.

There's one tear, probably the one everyone refers to, just before the one or two measure drum break that leads up to the fugue toward the end of the show...