Local shows and ticket prices...

Why do we still complain about $30 for a drum corps show? Try going to just about any other form of live entertainment and see what those cost. Here's some examples from my most recent experiences:

NASCAR Nextel race at Kansas Speedway: $200 each

Elton John concert in Kansas City: $100 each

Seats at a NY Yankees game beyond first base, second level: $56 each

A national touring cast version of Cats (how old is that show now?) in Wichita, KS: $48 each

IMHO, $30 for 6 of the top drum corps in the world is a bargain compared to most of the other live events offered.

There is no complaint.

If the tickets were 3 dollars or 300, I'd still go.

However, it does seem more than recent years...so I thought I'd see how much other people were paying for local shows around the country.

No more, no less.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Moonlight Classic show in Stockton premium seats are $35. This includes a souvie program and dinner. Prices go up. I just paid $40 bucks for a SF Giants game on the lower level down third baseline. This show is most likely a big fund raiser event for the corp. They probably also have to rent the facility. With gas prices the way they are...paying a bit more for a show is no biggie for me. They need the $$$$.

It's not the price, as much as the product. That is my biggest problem with late June/early July shows.

I'm sure it cost just as much to run a June show as it does an late July show. Am i suppose to pay less for a first showing of a Madonna concert or an Oakland Raider first game because they might not be as good at the beginning?

DCI would rather NOT have to go through Ticketmaster (DCI actually has its own relatively less expensive ticketing service) however, Ticketmaster has "discovered" our activity very recently in some of the more major venues we use (many regionals) and DCI has been contractually-bound to use Ticketmasater's services if we are to use the stadiums, which tend to add a significant cost to each ticket purchase and has also made us change the way we approach some of the aspects of our business.

There was a reason some of the regionals went up for sale later than they have in recent memory.

jeff

I didn't realize Ticketmaster had discovered DCI, but Regional shows, it's understandable why they cost more anyway, more corps. I just personally can't stand Ticketmaster and hate to have to buy tickets there for concerts and avoid it when I have to, due to all the outrageous "hidden and not so hidden fees" they like to tag on at the end. I usually go to the box offfice of where the show is (If I can) to avoid it. I also didn't know that DCI had been contractually bound to use their services..if you use stadiums. Hmm....interesting.

I won't be able to make it to any regionals this year anyway with a newborn on the way. Maybe next year we can bring our son to a show.

Anyway, Hey Jeff and thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Since folks don't want to pay money to see drum corps shows in June and early July, why don't we just cut the tour down to one month, from July 12 through August 12. That way the corps will save on gas money by not having to tour the first three or four weeks of tour, and can stay home and work on their shows.

Oh, and sorry, but there's a good chance your local drum corps show will then be cut from the schedule, because with only a month's worth of dates (minus the weekend regionals), there won't be NEARLY as many local shows.

But hey, no drum corps is better than having to watch a show that isn't quite tweaked to Finals Week perfection, right?

(And yes, I've been to very early season shows the past several years. Yes, a couple of the corps didn't have their shows completed. No, I didn't feel cheated one bit.)

Edited by oldsoprano

The thread doesn't concern whether or not a show is finished.

That's a subject for another thread, one that you're welcome to talk about by starting.

This was a vehicle to try to compare local show prices across the country to see where the median was. I though 30 dollars was a little suprising for tickets. That's the issue. No tin foil hats, no conspiracy, etc.

If talking about the above can't be accomplished, then let's go ahead and close this one.

The thread doesn't concern whether or not a show is finished.

That's a subject for another thread, one that you're welcome to talk about by starting.

This was a vehicle to try to compare local show prices across the country to see where the median was. I though 30 dollars was a little suprising for tickets. That's the issue.

Yes, and I contributed to that subject matter by posting the ticket prices for the shows I have a close knowledge of, so that a comparison could be made.

Personally, I don't think $30 is too much to pay for an evening of drum corps, especially if it's at a show sponsored by a corps. Lord knows, the corps will need all the money they can raise through their "home" shows this year, with gas prices continuing to skyrocket.

Edited by oldsoprano

that's not expensive for an evening of live entertainment. but if you want to break it down look at fuel costs (it's crown's show and they gotta gas up the buses), the number of Div. 1 corps at the show that need to get paid, (in this case the Cadets are a huge draw, why not capitalize), facility rental, staff, advertising, etc. these costs never stagnate and they never go down.

$31.50 is too high for a drumcorps show in June. While I may pay that price for 1 person. A family of 4 would probably pass.

Sorry, I love drumcorps and I want to do all I can to help, but I wouldn't pay that much for a small show.