MN Showcase Weekend Review

The Great Up-North - April 29, 30, 2006

Minnesota must be the friendliest place in the world. Every time I get a chance to spend time there, I come away feeling a little happier knowing that there truly are a lot of wonderful people associated with the drum and bugle corps activity in “the great up-north”. I got to spend the whole weekend immersed in drum corps, representing the Kilties at the DCA-Central meeting on Saturday, and attending the Minnesota Music Showcase on Sunday.

I arrived at the Twin Cities airport and met up with Mike from Texas who was representing Frontier drum and bugle corps at the DCA-C meeting. As if Minnesota Brass director Brent Turner didn’t have enough to do, he picked Mike and myself up at the airport and brought us to Highland Park High School where Minnesota Brass was rehearsing. It was raining cats and dogs, which put the kaibashes on their planned drill rehearsal, so the great indoors had to suffice. I got the grand tour from Brent. First I witnessed quite possibly the cleanest warm up session I have ever seen out of a battery. I didn’t hear a tick the whole time I was watching. Then I got to catch a little of the front percussion ensemble rehearsal. Again, I was very impressed. But I’m a horn guy so I was really looking for the brass line. I got to watch the trumpets and mellos work the “Earth Wind and Fire” section of the show in a little horn sectional. Roger Grupp blew me away, octaving everything in sight. Then the little horns ran off to marching basics and were replaced by the big horns in the theatre. They, too, rehearsed well and sounded great.

Our afternoon at the DCA-Central meeting was productive. Reps from Frontier, Lakeshoremen, Govies, Chops, Kilties, Brass and Royal Aires, were led by charter DCA-Central coordinator Kurt “Flash” Scheibel through a busy agenda. We reviewed and approved Show Sponsor contracts and DCA Show Corps Agreement contracts. Then we reviewed and approved the DCA-C Guidelines, a consensus document that establishes how DCA-C operates. It was an extremely productive meeting and I was impressed with everyone’s spirit of cooperation and willingness to do what is in the best interest of DCA-C to insure our long term viability. Immediately after the meeting, Kurt had us all over to his “man cave” for a beer and a chat. It was great to meet Bob and Ann from Lakeshoremen, and chat with Bob from Chops and Brent from Brass (Amber from Govies and Mike from Frontier couldn’t make it to the cave, but it was great to see them at the meeting!). Flash was the perfect host and when the get together at his house ended, he took me to the Rock Bottom Brewery for a nightcap. Thanks Flash! I had a wonderful time.

Sunday morning found me as excited as a kid in a candy store. I couldn’t wait to get to Highland Park High School for the first Midwest drum corps show of the year, the 4th Annual “Minnesota Music Showcase”, hosted by Chops, Inc. I was so excited, that I arrived at 11AM for the scheduled 2PM event. That gave me plenty of time to mingle with everyone, and watch all the corps get ready for their performances. I got to chat with a couple of former Kilties, Ryan Johnson, who is playing snare with Chops, and Derek Harmon who is playing trumpet with Minnesota Brass. It was great seeing you guys again!

I was sitting in the theatre watching the MN Brass percussion section rehearse, when my old friend Pat Byrne (aka “goalieguy” on DCP) plopped himself down next to me. We staked our claim to 9th row center seats for the showcase by leaving our jackets on our seats and then went socializing. I got to welcome a bunch of Govies when they arrived at around 12:30. Amber was directing traffic for her corps, and Smoothie cruised in looking like the rock star that he is with shades and hair uncut since Labor Day. I popped my head into the Chops brass warm-ups where Chops CEO Bob Bohanek gave me the thumbs up between runs of “America/Oh Canada”. I rubbed elbows with a MAJOR celebrity, show emcee Jim Tarbox. He is such a great announcer that I was toying with the idea of titling this review “Jim Tarbox hosts the MN Showcase”. Jim was all for that idea. It was great to see “Skinny” back for his 7th stint with Brass, this time on mello. I met Skinny back around 1980 when I was marching with the Spirit of 76. He’s a great guy, and I’m going to tell you all how to subscribe to his great quarterly publication “Sidliners” at the end of this review.

Of course I had to hit souvie row, where Chops, Govies and Brass were debuting their new t-shirt and souvie designs for 2006. There was some bargain shopping to be had, too, as all of the corps were blowing out what was left of their 2005 inventory. I couldn’t live without the cool DCAC t-shirt styled like the classic ACDC rock band shirt that was on sale at the Govies booth.

At 2PM Pat and I found our way back to our seats and hunkered down for the show. Jim Turbox announced Allen J. Fisher, who did a wonderful job singing our National Anthem. We were treated to a wonderful lead-off performance by the “Zuhrah Shrine Drum and Bugle Corps”. They are in their 85th year as a marching musical unit of Zuhrah Temple. They looked great clad in their black striped pants, white satin blouses with Zuhrah Shrine sashes and classic tasseled Shriner headwear. The active Corps consists of 56 members ranging in age from 22 to 85 and all belonging to the Masonic fraternity. On Sunday they appeared with 12 brass, 3 snare, 2 triple tenor, 3 straight tenor, 2 marching xylophones, 1 bass drum and a 3 man American section. Their classic repertoire was performed wonderfully. They opened up with “Bullfighter” which featured a nice soprano solo and nice mellophone solo. The drum solo that followed was highlighted by the cool stick work of the straight tenor section whose drum sticks were decorated with black and silver streamers resulting in a very cool visual effect. They continued with a medley of drum corps classics including my personnel favorite “Roll out the Barrel”! I loved the great arrangement of their closing number, “America the Beautiful”. The show was greeted with raucous applause as the corps marched off the stage to their cool parade street beat.

The 2005 DCA mini-corps champion “Minne-Brass” was next to take the stage. In fact they did more than just take the stage. They “commanded” the stage. If you were lucky enough to see their 2005 performance at the 2005 Mini-corps competition in Scranton last year, you know that this talented group took the mini-corps genre to places it has never seen by including a heavy dose of pure improvisation into their production. The 14 brass and single trap set percussionist proved their versatility, talent and thirst to musically explore as they led off their performance with a piece by the “Horn Heads” called “Can’t Quite Put My Finger On It”. The unique piece featured great improv solos from the trumpets, some cool muting effects, and a really cool “percussion feature” from the horn line where the brass players used the palms of their hands to bop their mouthpieces making cool, louder than you’d think percussion sounds. Roger Grupp directed much of their second selection, Addagio and Scherzo from West Side Story. They concluded their performance with a wonderful original chart written by Brass’s own Andy Classen named “Count on the Blues”. The tune reminded me a little of some of the Stan Kenton literature from his famous “mellophonium” experiments. The 3 trumpet solos were fantastic. Minne-Brass was rewarded with a fantastic round of applause for their efforts. Look for them to contend for their second straight title at the 2006 Mini Corps championships in Rochester this summer.

Next, the crowd was treated to a great performance by the oldest continuously active competing drum and bugle corps in the Milky Way, and quite possibly the Universe, the St. Peter Governaires. The Govies are sticking with what has worked so well for them recently, a high entertainment value book competently performed by a well taught, experienced brass, percussion section and guard. The corps staged 15 brass, 4 bass drums, 2 snare, 1 quad, 5 pit and the one and only John Mayer as Drum Major. Their 2006 Production is titled “Get On the Bus”. The brass line got my attention before they even began their show music by demonstrating wonderful pitch, blend and balance during their playing of their on-field warm up. Then DM John Mayer introduced the 2006 Govies to the audience the way that only John can, and they were off and running with their opener, “Magical Mystery Tour”. Don’t let the size of this corps fool you. They pack the punch of a much larger corps because their music is well written and well played. My favorite song in their 2006 production was “Birdland” by Weather Report. I just love that tune, and it was performed wonderfully. Next up was a song called “Lust”. It wasn’t quite a ballad, but it sort of was. It kind of reminded me of something along the lines of “Tiger of Sanchez” for some reason. They finished big with “Big Noise from Winnetka” which featured a nice soprano solo from rock star Smoothie, and a cool false ending that allows John Mayer to squeeze every last ounce out of the crowd. They even played their crowd trooping clap along tune and everyone clapped along indeed. Their performance was greeted with another wonderful and well deserved ovation.

Following the announcement of a whole slew of door prize winners by Jim Tarbox, our Showcase hosts, Chops, Inc. took the stage. Their 2006 production is titled “I Never Kissed Winnie Cooper”. The sun-glasses clad defending DCA Class A Champions staged 15 brass, 4 snare, 3 quads, 3 bass drums, 3 pit and they began their performance with 5 rifles out front. The show itself is well written. I didn’t recognize every musical selection, but the opener was well performed and featured a really nice baritone solo. The opener also featured the equipment work of the rifle line which was very cool. Their second tune featured the percussion section, which will be a strength for this corps again in 2006. They followed that up with a nice ballad which included another wonderful baritone solo. I recognized portions of Stevie Wonder’s “You Can Feel It All Over” and Joe Cocker’s arrangement of the Beatles classic “Little help from my friends” in their closing medley. The show definitely has the potential to put Chops right back at the top of Class A this summer. The crowd loved them, and rewarded them with a great ovation!

Minnesota Brass took the stage and proceeded to pretty much peal the skin off my face. What a powerful show! Their 2006 production is titled “Fantasy: A Drum Corps Dream”. The show features one classic after another, performed at an often frenetic pace highlighted by incredible octaving and solo work in the lead trumpet section and fantastic percussion. They staged 42 brass, 6 snare, 4 quad, 5 bass, 3 cymbals and 9 pit. Solo work by the one and only Roger Grupp from the balcony opened the production of Chase’s “Open Up Wide/Get it On” medley. All I can say is WOW!!! I almost died of goose-bump poisoning! The “Earth Wind and Fire” medley that follows features the percussion. During this number, the snare line turns around and plays roto-toms mounted on props that are actually mounted over their head. The roto-tom feature is extremely cool and will illicit lots of “Wowwage” this summer. “Soul of a Child” by Tower of Power was captivating. The show was capped with Stevie Wonder’s “Uptight” mixed with some classic drum corps melodies. It was a very powerful and dramatic close to a great performance.

The last musical unit of the evening was the Brian Boru Irish Pipe Band. Their performance kind of made this Kiltie feel right at home. It was highlighted by the performance of emcee Jim Turbox on bass drum! Great job Jim!

Members of the four Minnesota Drum Corps capped a wonderful show with the mass playing of “Ameica / Oh Canada”.

After the show everyone headed to “Champs” sports bar for dinner and a good old fashioned drum corps get together. I talked with so many people that I know I’m going to forget to mention everyone I’d like to. Skinny was my gracious host and chauffeur for the evening, and I got to visit with Brent and his son, Maranda (the mellophone from Winnepeg), Jim TurBox, Derek Harmon, Brass contra Tish and his lovely fiancée and bari Carol, Bob Bohanek from Chops and tons of other. I was touched when Jim and Skinny put their arms on my shoulders and included me in the singing of Brass’s beautiful corps song, “For All We Know”. It really made me feel like a member of their extended drum corps family. I was indeed honored.

Thanks again to everyone for making my trip one to remember!

Til Next Time,

JC

P.S. As promised, here’s how to get Skinney’s wonderful “Sideliners” quarterly newsletter delivered to your house:

Send your name, address, phone number and email address along with a $20 “Sideliners” membership donation to:

Sideliners

2046 Marion Streen

Saint Paul, MN 55113.

(Make checks payable to “Sideliners”)

Wow, J.C. Thanks for the nice review of Minne-Brass!

And thanks for coming to MN for the weekend. Glad you had a good time.

It's people like you who support drum corps with such passion that make

things all worthwhile.

-Todd Tanji (co-director of Minne-Brass with Roger Grupp :) )

JC,

You are definately the epitome of everything good about drum corps. It was my privilege to be your driver and host for just a short part of your trip. Thanks for giving the MN corps your honest review. You are always welcome in the MBI family.

create peace,

Brent

JC,

Thank you as well from myself and the Chops family. It was a pleasure to meet you. People just like you are what brought me back to the activity after so many years.

Thank you for your insight during the meetings on Saturday and your great review of all that were there. I got to see Govies and MBI as we very definitely made a conscious effort to allow the corps to see each other. After your review I wish I could have seen it all. I have a thing in my hear for pipes too and if Chops ever kicks me out, I might go learn them. :-)

My only thoughts as to the actual shows are: ITS GOING TO BE A GREAT DRUM CORPS SEASON up here in DCA-C. Govies, MBI and Us are looking forward to the summer and welcoming Kilties, Frontier and LakeShoreMen back later in the summer for a weekend of drum corps heaven.

Cheers,

Bob

Good to see you representing, JC. I'll see you this summer.

Smoothy with a "y"

I'm always amazed at your energy and enthusiasm for Midwest drum corps, and how you can put it into words so well. Writing is such a struggle for me. You keep pouring out the prose and keeping everyone informed.

Thank you for all the great work you do for all of us.

So glad you enjoyed the Showcase.

------------------

I really liked playing my opening solo up in the darkened balcony. There was a railing I could lean on for support for some of the high notes. That's a luxury I won't have for the rest of the season.

That sounds like a wonderful time, and deffinatly there are some AMAZING drum corps out there, all be it that the batteries were all a little smaller then i expected, sounds like a great product, and i look forward to seeing you all in my home town in September!

:laugh:

I will concur with Roger about your uncanny ability to use the printed word, my friend.

It was again a pleasure to gab and reminisce with you and our brothers and sisters. I want to also address my pleasure meeting Roark Haver (roark1) for the first time, and hope that the next time you come back, that Lisa should accompany you.

It's going to be an interesting summer..Maybe I should run down to watch a Kiltie camp, and grab me a Kewpies or 2... :P

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

GoalieGuy

It was very nice to fianlly meet you and J.C. also, albiet too briefly. Great preformances by all!

(Drum corps people are cool)

GoalieGuy

It was very nice to fianlly meet you and J.C. also, albiet too briefly. Great preformances by all!

(Drum corps people are cool)

Roark,

thanks for your kind words. I missed you on Sunday in the hustle and bustle! I hope to see you at a few camps and shows this summer.

MYNWA,

Brent

Madison Scouts 87-96