Star 93 brought controversy

im kinda interested. where? maybe its the white pants, im having a hard time seeing.

White pants highlight mistakes.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White pants highlight mistakes.

Yeah but the spacing for that show was pretty close, I'm getting distractions, where I can't tell because of overlaps.

Interesting topic. I remember 94 Cavaliers show and people suggesting that the props represented other things, and that the show was sexually suggestive. I thought that the show was very interesting, but definitely a little different from what I was used to seeing from Cavaliers. I enjoyed it, but was not my favorite Cavies show by far.

95 Blue Devils was way cool. I think about the only negative reaction was from an elderly couple at one of the later shows that season. I think they were appalled from some of the conversation I overheard from them. They seemed to feel the show was bordering on satanic. I loved the music from that show, and loved the throwbacks from the amazing 94 show. I think musically they were my favorite show from 95. Probably in my top 5 BD shows musically ever.

How exactly is an 8 time DCI world champion and a consistent top 3 finisher "plaqued" by their marching style??

I said if before and I'll say it again, there is no universally approved marching technique. I am personally not a fan of the Cavaliers marching style, even though I love their shows. It just isn't my cup of tea. But man do they march their drill well. And they are very consistent in applying their technique from performer to performer. So it's just a matter of taste, that's all. Their technique (or Cadets technique, or BD technique, or...) is no better or worse than anyone else's. It's just different. And as others have said, if it works for them, good for them!

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I believe there is a very big difference between a lack of upper body control that results in head bouce and marching style. The head bounce is not consistent, it does not occur at all times, and is not uniform across the line. That is what I beleive would need to be there for it to be considered a marching style. Bounce from a lack of upper body control during high tempos or large step sizes is just simply that - a lack of upper body control. I personally find it very distracting, and it's simply not my cup ot tea.

I have no problems agreeing to disagree about style as it relates to this particular technique. What bothers me is the phrase that states the Cadets are "plagued" by their marching style. That's stretching it IMO. A lot. You don't acheive the kind of success they've acheived if that's the case. Unless you're suggesting that the judges are deliberately looking the other way when it comes to their visual performance. If that's the case, I don't buy it for a second.

Going back to the topic, I was thinking about Cavies 94, and I love everything about the show with the possible exception of the closer. The ballad is one of my all-time favorite Cavie pieces musically. The closer seems a bit like an afterthought though. I guess I just don't think of the show as a source of controversy. I enjoyed it a lot.

BD 95 was way cool, but I can see where people thought it was a little on the dark/wierd side. I loved it though.

I have no problems agreeing to disagree about style as it relates to this particular technique. What bothers me is the phrase that states the Cadets are "plagued" by their marching style. That's stretching it IMO. A lot. You don't acheive the kind of success they've acheived if that's the case. Unless you're suggesting that the judges are deliberately looking the other way when it comes to their visual performance. If that's the case, I don't buy it for a second.

Well, again we will have to agree to disagree. I personally believe that their lack of upper body control and bounce holds them back all too often. They consistently have the potential to win visual, yet do not always manage to do so. How many times have they won visual in the past 10 years? 2 by my recollection - 98 and 05. Given their marching prowess year in and year out, I can't help but think there would be a few more visual caption awards for Cadets if they had better upper body control. That is why I say the bouce has plagued them.

Well, they won vis perf on Finals night* in 96, 98 and 05. And 1998's corps had a perfect score in VP. Three times in ten years. Pretty dang good if you ask me. In the same time period, the Cavaliers won VP 3 times, and BD has won 4 times. Seems like we've got three distinctly different styles there and each one seems to hold its own in terms of acheivement. Hardly what I would consider being "plagued"....and for the record, their style is also not my cup of tea.

* I don't recall which years there was a tournament type scoring for caption awards. Regardless, if you're winning a caption on the biggest night of the year, that's good enough for me.