LOUD Mouthpieces?

spamula

I was looking forward to the new mellophone and trumpet mouthpieces being released today...

AS SO I THOUGHT!!! I just went to check the site and they bumped the date back to the 25th??

Is there a good reason, or is the mouthpiece not really ready to be sold? Any news on why he bumped it back... or how good the mouthpieces work ? A general price? I was waiting till today to decided if I wanted to try one.. But I NEED a new mouthpiece ASAP. (I dont have a 6v, and the rest of the line is using one.. so im stuck on a 3c).

SO? Is it just gonna happen again or should I just not waste my time and buy a good 'ol Bach?

You may want to try contacting Joe Murphy for a direct answer, I believe you can find his email address on the Memphis Sound staff page:

http://www.memphisdrumcorps.org/Pages/Staff.htm

or should I just not waste my time and buy a good 'ol Bach?

The Bach Mello 6 I have has the ODD shank. I have to wrap electrical tape around it two layers thick to get it to fit a mello. It's a relatively huge piece though, and plays the loudest of any I have. Range is kind of a workout. The Conn Mello 6 is a bit on the small side, but has the right shank. I actually like the way the CKB Mello 6 sounds on my powerbore sop. I need to get a 6v eventually.

I don't know about Joe's new pieces, but gwmouthpieces.com has some rather huge trumpet pieces I've considered trying on mello. But I tend to favor larger pieces in general. Being a Euph guy and all.

SO? Is it just gonna happen again or should I just not waste my time and buy a good 'ol Bach?

I just got my Monette tpt. mpc. w/a Flumpet cup. I'm going to use it on mellophone in minicorps. It really makes the mello slot a lot better than other mpcs. I've tried. Of course, they do run $315. I also will use this mpc. on my Bb tpt. in the big corps this season for part of the show.

I just got my Monette tpt. mpc. w/a Flumpet cup. I'm going to use it on mellophone in minicorps. It really makes the mello slot a lot better than other mpcs. I've tried.

This is the same way I feel about the Curry TF cup mouthpieces.

Spirit uses them.

but then again.. any $150 mouthpiece sounds better than a $30 one

They don't always sound better, but they do generally play better.

FYI, it looks like the spec pages are now up for 3 of the trumpet ones. Sometime within the past 30 minutes it looks like. It's currently 3:20pm-ish. The specs for these are fairly small. I've been wanting something in that 16.7mm-17.2mm range. And these are all lead pieces in the 15mm-16mm range. Oh well, I guess I'll keep lugging away on my cheapos.

I bought a GR 66 FD flugel MP... it sounds better than my 6v does... but then again.. any $150 mouthpiece sounds better than a $30 one

I have several GR mouthpieces. Great folks at GR. I like the GRs, but the rim just doesn't work well for me to add marching. More comfy with my Callet or Curry.