Kiwanis Kavaliers

First, any day that there's an announcement that a corps has went inactive is a sad day for everyone in this activity that we all love. Best of luck Kiwanis on making it back to the field in 07.

For any of the Kiwanis family that are still in need of a home, Memphis Sound currently has a (very) few openings in the color guard (with a top notch staff - watching these guys work is mucho fun!) and one opening for a 3rd soprano. We possibly have one euph spot open. If you're looking for a home, Elvis welcomes you to his home with open arms. Contact corps director Trey Moore - he's the man. His info can be found on the Uber - cool ($1 to Heather) Memphis Sound website at www.memphisdrumcorps.org or www.mempho.org.

With new horns, new front ensemble equipment, a great staff in place and some of the coolest, dedicated kids, this promises to be the most exciting year yet for Memphis.

Wherever you decide to march this summer, please march somewhere! You can never get those few years back that you are able to march. Hope to see everyone that was involved with Kiwanis, Troopers, Marion, Canos, Bandettes, Allegiance Elite, Lake Erie Regiment, Pride of the Lions or any other unit that will not make it back to the DCI arena this season on the field somewhere soon. Best of luck to all of these units in their future endeavors.

Bobby Patrick

Memphis Sound Visual Caption Head

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, how clever. There's only one other corps left "at the bottom of the top 24" now that Troopers and KK are both sitting out. "Without naming names" - gimme a break. <**>

So you're aiming at Pioneer without mentioning the name right ?

I'd like to know from the poster where he/she gets it's knowledge....

I hear things all the time. Don't post them untill there's a good source confirming. Try to do the same.

Esperanza just posted 4 brass openings, complete with summer scholarship assistance.

http://esperanzaarts.org/news.php?ID=380&P...67dcaea2fa75b59

"Esperanza Drum & Bugle Corps is offering summer scholarships for 2006 membership in the brass section. This program will directly assist selected new members in Esperanza to offset summer fees to participate.

There are currently four opening left to fill in the brass section. Contact us immediately at mailto: Info@EsperanzaArts.org for more information about the most affordable option in Division 1.

Open auditions for 1 trumpet/mellophone, 2 baritones and 1 tuba will take place at Esperanza's annual Memorial Camp. Any interested new members only need to contact us at mailto: mailto: Info@EsperanzaArts.org for information about attending camp. Camp rehearsal begins Friday, May 26th at 6pm and ends on Monday, May 29th. "

Honestly this is not a surprise for me. The corps has been struggling a lot the past several years. My only hope is that they come back strong. I loved this corps when it was Div II. IMO they lost something very special when they made the jump up to D I.

They had some great years in Div I (1996, 1997 for example). IMO they lost that special something when they made the jump to Florida.

John Freeman is still with Seattle Cascades as the Visual Caption head, I love working with him! lol schluminahumina.

I don't know if he will remember me, but please tell John that Jim Pratt from back in his Navy League Cadet days in Guelph says "hi". (I was his guard instructor - that's how old I am......)

capital regiment has 2 tuba and 2 trumpet holes that could potentially be a good home for these unfortunately displaced kiwanis kavaliers members...capitalregiment.org for info

I don't really know any details about the cause of Kiwanis Kavaliers going inactive (or folding), but I really believe the activity would be a lot better if more businessmen were involved and these corps were ran like a business. Bill Cook was really onto something.

Too many seem to be ran by people who have a great love for the activity and the kids, but don't have the business sense to keep things solid on the backend. If you can get the right mix of bright business minds and bright musical minds, you can take over the drum corps world. Obviously this is harder to do than it is for me to type it out, but there has to be room for more drum corps out there if the right people were willing to make it happen. It really is a shame the way that Bill Cook, and Star of Indiana, were so maligned. If his lesson was learned by more people, we might still have a meaningful Quarterfinals day at Championships...or an even better idea would be having so many corps we had to have Prelims on Wednesday just to make it to Thursday.

These days, a love for the activity and the kids just isn't enough to keep the wheels moving.

I don't really know any details about the cause of Kiwanis Kavaliers going inactive (or folding), but I really believe the activity would be a lot better if more businessmen were involved and these corps were ran like a business. Bill Cook was really onto something.

Too many seem to be ran by people who have a great love for the activity and the kids, but don't have the business sense to keep things solid on the backend. If you can get the right mix of bright business minds and bright musical minds, you can take over the drum corps world. Obviously this is harder to do than it is for me to type it out, but there has to be room for more drum corps out there if the right people were willing to make it happen. It really is a shame the way that Bill Cook, and Star of Indiana, were so maligned. If his lesson was learned by more people, we might still have a meaningful Quarterfinals day at Championships...or an even better idea would be having so many corps we had to have Prelims on Wednesday just to make it to Thursday.

These days, a love for the activity and the kids just isn't enough to keep the wheels moving.

They had some great years in Div I (1996, 1997 for example). IMO they lost that special something when they made the jump to Florida.

Best of luck to those members that are looking for places to march this summer even this late in the game. I would also suggest with being based out of Florida that those members contact The Magic and Teal Sound for any open spots.

Insofar as the "jump" to Florida. KK numbers had been falling off for years up north. In 2002 they fielded a FULL corps with the support of TBT members. Since that year and many changes later the numbers have continued to fall. Why??? BUY A BIG MIRROR. Boston has been conducting camps for years, they seem to be doing just fine. (record years) Magic continues to field a full corps every year even with the new administration taking on "old" problems and Teal Sound continues to get better. Florida's not the problem so continue to feel bad for those kids that lost this summer but stop feeling bad for those who cast blame on others and let's hope they can fix the "in house" issue that has caused decision to be made and regardless where they are based and come back strong.

JVN