Kiwanis Kavaliers

Hmmmmmmm....how do I put this delicately?

If I was a corps director, and I had on my desk some resume's of some people that wanted to be caption head, I would like to be assurred of one's "past" in regards to, among a litany of other things, their reliability.

But on the other hand, if I was an instructor/designer wanting to sign on with a corps to be on staff, I would want to know, among a litany of other things, how reliable THEY'LL be to me.

I'm wondering if this is a "he said, she said" type thing.

And what we can LEARN from it, not in terms of gossip, but what can be done differently to protect EVERYONE, most important, the kids that DON'T have a corps.

Does this make sense?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised more hasn't been talked about on this thread about certain staff members "acting independently" or something to that extent on the press release. I know dirty laundry exists in all organizations but to me that was a bold statement to make on a press release.

And Craig--if you're still reading this thread--brother, puhleeeeeeeeze. A lawn mower and a weed whacker into a million dollar business???????? Were you being euphemistic, or literal?

I don't know what I missed over the last several pages but I was in fact being quite literal. It's like the old axiom "how do you end up with a million dollar business, start with 2 million" You have to start somewhere and usually the less you have the better you do because you'll be more carefull with the money.

Here in Delaware we have 3 types of lawn businesses. Large which do corporate which are million dollar businesses, medium sized which work everyday with 2 or 3 helpers and make upwards of $100,000. And of course the single lawn mower guy that does the nieghborhood. Every single one started with a lawn mower.

The key to business is not starting big but starting smart. I started selling sodas in snacks at my job because the vending machine keep cheating people. They offered me the chance to put my own machines in. Many business' start small. Have a plan and grow.

Someone mentioned in this thread or another that corps running a business is bad because the focus isn't on the corps but the busines and employees. The focus is on the customer which makes the business successful. If your running decent margins of 10-20-30 percent (depending on your business) it's money that can go back into the corps. Any profitable business can put money back into the corps. It's about picking the right business or seeing the right oppurtunity.

Edited by Blackstar

As an alumni of Kiwanis Kavaliers, I can understand completely the pain that members planning on marching in the corps are feeling. When I first found out that the corps would not be fielding this season, I felt as though a close family member died or something. Even though the corps was not as competitive as they were when I was a member, at least they were on the field, giving students a place to perform for the summer, and entertaining audiences. My wife's corps folded the year after she aged-out, and there was a TON of 'dirty laundry,' ill will, and "bad guys" to her that will never change. Every year since she aged-out, she has hated the fact that she has never been able to hear/see her corps from the stands, and hated the fact that there will never be another edition of her beloved corps (though there was a one year "come-back" attempt before the cops closed it's doors for good). I had hoped that I would never have to go through what she's been going through now for almost fifteen years (geeze, we're getting old... ;)

I live in pretty much the exact opposite corner of the Kitchner, Ontario Canada corps hall, and I have not 100% up to current events. I know the corps director (as he was my corps director), but I know nothing about the current situation other than what I have heard from other alumni, past staff members, etc. One thing that helps NO ONE is to have this stuff go on in a public manner. Obviously the corps has some type of problem/s: the corps wouldn't pull out of the DCI tour in May if there wasn't something drastically wrong somewhere. It has been said that going inactive was the best decision for the corps at this moment in time. If that is true, then hopefully the corps is already on the right track to improving their situation and returning to competition. I think it does nothing but hurt the cause to see past membership, alumni, past staff or corps directors playing the "he said, she said" game, pointing fingers and placing blame. I've PM'ed a few of you closer to the situation than myself to try and figure out what's going on, and I'm appreciative with your replies. But people turning this already dark moment for the corps darker is not the solution.

Those of you who are upset about this matter, feel they have a grasp on what is going on internally, are a staff/management/marching member of the corps with a side/issue should contact the proper KK people who can help turn this situation around (board members, corps director, management, etc). If enough of you voice your concern, I'd like to think the management, board, and/or director will listen and make appropriate changes. I'm all about fixing what's wrong and getting the corps headed in the right direction; I'm all for those of you with issues airing your problems to people who can enact change.

I'm worried that the more crap that is slung in this post, the more potential harm will come to the corps, and will possibly damage any attempts to get the corps back on the field. Let's please keep this discussion civil, and try not to sling crap back and forth. I understand what members are feeling, and I can only guess at the pain you're feeling. Please resist the urge to air this stuff publicly (though, for the most part, it's been fine up until the last few pages).

Good luck to staff members and marching members; I hope you all find a good home this summer, and I hope you're able to put all of this behind you and have a great summer.

--

doug

Kiwanis Kavaliers snare 97, 98

'We are ONE'

Hey Craig...got your point. Apparently the illegals haven't made it out to Delaware yet.

That's all that are cutting lawns around here.

Hey Craig...got your point. Apparently the illegals haven't made it out to Delaware yet.

That's all that are cutting lawns around here.

Save your stereotypical viewpoint for the off-topic forums.

<**>

I'm all for those of you with issues airing your problems to people who can enact change.

I'm worried that the more crap that is slung in this post, the more potential harm will come to the corps, and will possibly damage any attempts to get the corps back on the field.

I do not know anything firsthand about the KK situation, but I personally believe perc2100 makes a lot of sense here. I assume the administration at KK has assessed where and when the main problems began to fester and will learn from them to make KK stronger.

I realize this is a forum and discuss is what we do here. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But criticizing a corps on a public forum when it's down won't help them in the future. Possibly, many people will believe and remember such negative comments. This will only make it more difficult to recruit in 2007.

If there are some who desire to give people at KK an "earfull" (whatever that may mean), it seems to me they would be more effective in getting their point across via e-mail, letter, or phone call directly to the organization.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by HISop

Ryan my friend, you make great sense but honestly, a lot of what you said really isn't applicable in this case. But dont get me wrong, I'm not discrediting your thoughts as they are right on. But really was not what happened at KK.

That's fine--I totally understand. My points were a little more in a general manner, meaning this situation got me thinking that there's always two sides to a story, and how can something be put into place to "protect" everyone.

And I ALWAYS make great sense...well...at least I think I do! :blink:

Save your stereotypical viewpoint for the off-topic forums.

<**>

Move to southern California and save yourself the embarrassment of being wrong.

All I have to say is that I am an alumnus of KK's 2002 season and was going to KK and PSYE camps since 2000. I know a lot of guys from Michigan and Canada that marched and taught at both of those organizations, some that I went to school with, and some that I later go to march with or be taught by in NorthCoast Academy. So that being said, I know Tilt has been around KK for a lot longer than most any of us. He is a great guy and spent more time doing logistical stuff for SPYE and KK than I care to imagine(the floor from "The Toys" and Luke's center-snare-admiral-hat comes to mind). So I gotta say that I believe pretty much whatever he has to say about this issue.

Edited by G-Cym