Kiwanis Kavaliers

.......all posts from KK state that the reasons KK is not fielding a corps this summer was because of staff bailing and lack of membership.

I saw one of the alleged "bailers" last weekend. There is more to the story. Of course the board isn't going to air their dirty laundry.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot to this story, and frankly, I dont think this is the place. Everyone who's been paying even a little attention knows this is the best thing for the corps right now and that BOD have some major decisions and hopeful changes to make. Otherwise, in my opinion after my many years with different parts of the KK organization and SPYE, it may finally be time to put it to rest. Is KK about personal accomplishments and name, or is it finally going to be about the members and drum corps again?

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

I'm not sure how I'm being a hypocrite...Those are the opiinions I hold...I don't think I'm a phony or a pretender...

I'm sure we could all get into name calling games if we wanted to but let's try and be adult shall we?

Anyway, Slow Adam is correct when he says there is more to the story than the press release....You've been around acquiring tshirts long enough to know there's always more than to the story than the press release...Staff and members don't just quit for fun...I don't think any of them enjoyed the experience....They would have all rather marched the season with Kiwanis...

And, yes Jim, I do kind of think you're dancing...In a public forum....

You're very proud of bringing those hundred kids to Kiwanis....And you should be...I'd like to know how you did it...

But it's one thing to recruit them...It's a whole other thing to pay the bills....Though the Kiwanis Kavaliers have got to be one of the poorest corps in Div. 1, they've always been fiscally responsible...

hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

I'm not sure how I'm being a hypocrite...Those are the opiinions I hold...I don't think I'm a phony or a pretender...

I'm sure we could all get into name calling games if we wanted to but let's try and be adult shall we?

Anyway, Slow Adam is correct when he says there is more to the story than the press release....You've been around acquiring tshirts long enough to know there's always more than to the story than the press release...Staff and members don't just quit for fun...I don't think any of them enjoyed the experience....They would have all rather marched the season with Kiwanis...

And, yes Jim, I do kind of think you're dancing...In a public forum....

You're very proud of bringing those hundred kids to Kiwanis....And you should be...I'd like to know how you did it...

But it's one thing to recruit them...It's a whole other thing to pay the bills....Though the Kiwanis Kavaliers have got to be one of the poorest corps in Div. 1, they've always been fiscally responsible...

I paid the bills for long enough.....took on personal liabilites, debt and spent a small fortune in my drum corps experience. Getting members is all about keeping your word to the kids, giving them a great experience and hiring staff that cares. These are things I have always done regardless if it was popular or not.

I think Doug and many other Directors understand at times what position we may put ourselves in for the greater good of the organization even if it means our own personal pain. I made my fair share of poor decisions but also made a difference in manys members lives for getting the chance to take part at all levels.

My original post was to simply express my thoughts on the real problem here. I respect the great things that Doug has done over the years but like every good group, your only as good as the people around you.

God Speed,

JVN

I'm surprised more hasn't been talked about on this thread about certain staff members "acting independently" or something to that extent on the press release. I know dirty laundry exists in all organizations but to me that was a bold statement to make on a press release.

And Craig--if you're still reading this thread--brother, puhleeeeeeeeze. A lawn mower and a weed whacker into a million dollar business???????? Were you being euphemistic, or literal?

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

New Equipment?? I don't remember seeing ANY new equipment in 2002. IN FACT, ALL the equipment AND uniforms used came from a merging of OLD equipment and uniforms from BOTH corps. IN FACT, I personally wore a "Kiwanis" uniform top with "Thunder" bibbers...and played on keyboards that had been with the Kavaliers since 1998. The drums were old drums that were REPAINTED, and the horns were Kiwanis' yamaha horns.

Once upon a time, this wasn't about YOU. This was about the people who march. You know, those kids that bust ### ALL summer to put on a show for the fans. This was about a love of the activity, a love of performance, NOT your personal grievances. Grow up.

and on that note...i know who painted the drums.......and i know who BAILED in Jacksonville,AL, too....we all have long memories.