BEST BRASS SEASONS

Vanguard07

PR '90,'91,'92,'93,'94,'95,'96,'97,'98,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 (did i miss any?)

'89 B)

oh my goodness yes that was the first DCI DVD i ever bought, well acctually my mom boought but yeah i have watched taht a thosand times i even ripped the DVD off and put it on my computer and converted it all to .mp4 and then put it on my iPod i may be the only one in the world that watches Star Daily no matter where i am!!

Wow that is awsome, but I hope you have some room on the iPod for some of the suggestions here. Paricularly the Devils, Cadets, and Vanguard years. You can learn alot about great brass playing by studying those shows. I believe there are two DVD Blue Devil Collections which would be outstanding.

Since you are Star fan, you might enjoy the three cd volumes of Star's Brass Theater years. They may not be on grass, but there was some great playing in those years. You can usually find them in a well stocked music dealer or online.

So not to change the subject, but it was a thought that just came to mind. Does anyone have any opinions about what is the best brass year top to bottom (performance, choice of music, arrangements, etc.)?

I just thought of this, and it's boggling my mind as to how to come to a decision. But before really thinking about my own question the first year that really pops into my head is 2000? Cadets were stellar with Gino, Cavs had an amazing deep, rich sonority. BD book was amazing! SCV played the crap out of their book, Boston, Phantom, Xmen!!!

So not to change the subject, but it was a thought that just came to mind. Does anyone have any opinions about what is the best brass year top to bottom (performance, choice of music, arrangements, etc.)?

I just thought of this, and it's boggling my mind as to how to come to a decision. But before really thinking about my own question the first year that really pops into my head is 2000? Cadets were stellar with Gino, Cavs had an amazing deep, rich sonority. BD book was amazing! SCV played the crap out of their book, Boston, Phantom, Xmen!!!

A truly stellar year top to bottom would be 1984 (top 3 were separated by .6).

Garfield Cadets - West Side Story at it's musical best

Blue Devils - La Fiesta anyone? I had a new part in my hair from this show

SCV - Brass heaven, Fanfare and Allegro was amazing as was all the Copland

Phantom - 1812 and killer double tonguing in the Scythian Suite opener

Madison - Ballet in Brass and Walt of the Mushroom Hunters - searing

Spirit - Blues in the Night was on fire

Suncoast - killer brass line with the Vietnam show

Cavies - Pines of Rome closer was awesome

Freelancers - Some awesome TOP tunes

Crossmen - Russlan and Ludmilla was hot - some serious notes

27 - a fantastic opener - Seahawk

VK - NBC Chimes Festival was great fun

84 still gets a lot of play time on my CD deck - perhaps my favorite year top to bottom for the top 12.

alright i would like everyone to know that with my purchase of Vanguard's 1975 performance my santa clara vanguard Collection is complete (not counting 2006, even though i have some clips) but now i am working on my BD collection, Cadets, Scouts as well as some other random corps and years thank you all for all your help and i look forward to some more suggestions!! now i must jam out! :huh::huh::huh: