A blast from the past for ya

Looks like the rotor was an option. :P

Sometimes ads can give as much history as articles.

Thansk Nanci...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2984132D

Enjoy!

--

NanciD

Historical Drum Corps Publications:

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/

Your personal DJ (via email requests)NanciD@att.net

Diceman Radio: 24/7 Old Time Drum Corps

Dialup:

http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719

Broadband:

http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719h

Thanks for this memory.... :drool:

(my comment from http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2984132D)

WOOHOO!

My first horn, (1963 Lynn Continentals, Lynn, Mass.) was the

Getzen Titlest Bass Baritone G-D and in 1965 I got the G-F rotary added to it!

Thanks NanciD!

Tony ;-)

Thanks for this memory.... :ph34r:

WOOHOO!

Thanks NanciD!

Tony ;-)

I'm no horn player, but we had to modify the tubing to go from G-D to G-F. Don't know if it required new rotors or not. Also, I think G-F's weren't legalized until '69. I remember Bill Hayes had a friend who was a plumber (literally) and he chopped up and re-soldered our horns for a fraction of the price Getzen was getting for their "mod" kits. Of course he was a plumber, not a tuner...............

Thanks for this memory.... :huh:

WOOHOO!

Thanks NanciD!

Tony ;-)

I'm no horn player, but we had to modify the tubing to go from G-D to G-F. Don't know if it required new rotors or not. Also, I think G-F's weren't legalized until '69. I remember Bill Hayes had a friend who was a plumber (literally) and he chopped up and re-soldered our horns for a fraction of the price Getzen was getting for their "mod" kits. Of course he was a plumber, not a tuner...............

Wayne,

I was 10 yrs old when I got the Getzen horn and 12 yrs old when I got the rotor added.... :huh:

No "plumbing", required that I knew of..."Legal", "not legal", on that, I don't know. The Lynn Continentals was a class B corps. (don't know if that makes any diff) By '69 Jim Centorino (our horn instructor) had "invited" me to join BAC. :ph34r:

(hoping someone else knows for sure on when the G-F rotor became legal....)

Tony B)

• 2 weeks later...

The G/F rotor was always legal. The G/F valve arrived in '67/'68. Let me explain.

The piston bugle, developed in the 1920's, allowed one to drop partials down a perfect 4th by using the valve. (Many bemoaned the end of drum corps at this point.) Thus a G horn could become a D at the push of a button. Sometime later, Jim Donnelly and Scotty Chappelle began modifying the tuning slide to slip easily, allowing for the production of half steps. In fact, if you pulled the slide far enough you could access a full step. This was controversial too, but was already being done in military units on valveless horns so the bugle sections could play in the key of F and more easily blend with the marching bands.

When the rotor was introduced around 1960, two versions were produced, one half step the other full step. The latter is the one Tony had. Often it was played by the lowest bari part, and could access notes like low A and F which were unplayable by horns with the half step rotor.

The G/F bugle introduced in the late '60s had a valve which lowered the pitch one step (to F) and a half step rotor, effectively producing the equivalent of a 2 valve G trumpet. (The doomsday prophets became more vocal now, and when the rotor was replaced by a second valve and both were positioned vertically - a much more ergonomically rational idea- the end times chorus swelled. Adding a 3rd valve sent them over the top and since the Bb bugle was approved they have been in a frenzy. Of course, the army has been using Bb bugles since the Civil War, but facts never stand in the way of idiology.)

The G/F rotor was always legal. The G/F valve arrived in '67/'68. Let me explain.

The piston bugle, developed in the 1920's, allowed one to drop partials down a perfect 4th by using the valve. (Many bemoaned the end of drum corps at this point.) Thus a G horn could become a D at the push of a button. Sometime later, Jim Donnelly and Scotty Chappelle began modifying the tuning slide to slip easily, allowing for the production of half steps. In fact, if you pulled the slide far enough you could access a full step. This was controversial too, but was already being done in military units on valveless horns so the bugle sections could play in the key of F and more easily blend with the marching bands.

When the rotor was introduced around 1960, two versions were produced, one half step the other full step. The latter is the one Tony had. Often it was played by the lowest bari part, and could access notes like low A and F which were unplayable by horns with the half step rotor.

The G/F bugle introduced in the late '60s had a valve which lowered the pitch one step (to F) and a half step rotor, effectively producing the equivalent of a 2 valve G trumpet. (The doomsday prophets became more vocal now, and when the rotor was replaced by a second valve and both were positioned vertically - a much more ergonomically rational idea- the end times chorus swelled. Adding a 3rd valve sent them over the top and since the Bb bugle was approved they have been in a frenzy. Of course, the army has been using Bb bugles since the Civil War, but facts never stand in the way of idiology.)

Thank you for this clarifitation Frank,

(though it is easier to confuse me now, as a retired Mechanial Engineer, then when I was 12 yrs old...LOL)

"Often it was played by the lowest bari part, and could access notes like low A and F which were unplayable by horns with the half step rotor."

All of our horns got the G/F rotor....even though I played 1st Bari parts...

(OK, so I played those 1st Bari parts VERY close to the ground.....ROFLMAO!)

1968 Lynn Continentals, Lynn, Mass. (far right)

lynncontinentalslynnmass4668to1.th.jpg

Tony B)

PS: Yes, we marched through a LOT of puddles....LOL

Edited by TennTux