BAC 99

Once you move pass a certain number of rotations (6-8) it becomes extremely difficult to control the number of those rotations with any regularity. You're much better able to judge the force of the throw and an approximate heighth than how many times the equipment will rotate. In other words, you loft the sabre into the air with good velocity and rate of spin -- sometimes you'll get 12, sometimes 14, sometimes 15 rotations. Additionally, unless a toss needs to be synchronized with the tosses of other members of the ensemble, the number of revolutions is irrelevant. I doubt that Boston's soloist planned the number of revolutions in his tosses.

Edited by ChicagoFan

• 3 months later...
Once you move pass a certain number of rotations (6-8) it becomes extremely difficult to control the number of those rotations with any regularity. You're much better able to judge the force of the throw and an approximate heighth than how many times the equipment will rotate. In other words, you loft the sabre into the air with good velocity and rate of spin -- sometimes you'll get 12, sometimes 14, sometimes 15 rotations. Additionally, unless a toss needs to be synchronized with the tosses of other members of the ensemble, the number of revolutions is irrelevant. I doubt that Boston's soloist planned the number of revolutions in his tosses.

Too true about toss regularity. I know when I was taught to toss a six especially on a sabre at the height of the toss is count three. So we would toss say "3" out loud and if it already was coming down when you said three then watch out, or plie or run away! I wonder if that correlates to tossing higher tosses......I'll have to ask my old instructor.

I perhaps doubt it was a 12 or anything above a ten...cause when you are tossing a six, the rotation slows down at the top of the toss before gravity can grab it again to come back down, tossing a 12/14/16 would require an amazing amount of wrist and arm strength (long arms would help too).....I'd have to see it to believe it...and count it. It may be the height of a 12 but prolly not the rotation....

Too true about toss regularity. I know when I was taught to toss a six especially on a sabre at the height of the toss is count three. So we would toss say "3" out loud and if it already was coming down when you said three then watch out, or plie or run away! I wonder if that correlates to tossing higher tosses......I'll have to ask my old instructor.

I perhaps doubt it was a 12 or anything above a ten...cause when you are tossing a six, the rotation slows down at the top of the toss before gravity can grab it again to come back down, tossing a 12/14/16 would require an amazing amount of wrist and arm strength (long arms would help too).....I'd have to see it to believe it...and count it. It may be the height of a 12 but prolly not the rotation....

Regarding wrist and arm strength... this isn't entirely true. If you use the correct mechanics of a toss, it has more to do with velocity than anything. If your arm and wrist moves quick enough you'd be surprised. Also, the amount of rotations does not always correlate with the height of a toss. In fact, it is much easier to toss "higher tosses" if you make the equipment spin faster and not necessarily higher. The speed at which the equipment cuts through the air will propel it higher.

12's, 14's, and yes, 16's, are not mechanicly impossible.

Interesting tidbit:

Anyone who is familiar with the BAC 99 video knows the collective "awwww" from the audience as John (sabre soloist) dropped his first toss at the beginning of the closer. The reson for the drop is John decided to embellish the solo by adding one more revolution of his body underneath the toss. He had been doing three spins underneath the massive toss all season, but decided to add a fourth Finals night! The "awww" is kind of sad, but he makes up for it at the end. Too bad we won't know just how high that last toss went, but it was ridiculous no matter what! Yay John!