Non-Brass people learning horn on Drum Corps

And "they" meaning your corps brass staff...... :worthy:

Have seen a number of posts from people who played woodwinds or other non-brass instruments before they joined a corps horn line. Would like to find out what instrument you first played and what horn you have/had in corps. Also how was it determined which corps horn to play and who decided, you or corps staff?.

And "they" meaning your corps brass staff...... :worthy:

Have seen a number of posts from people who played woodwinds or other non-brass instruments before they joined a corps horn line. Would like to find out what instrument you first played and what horn you have/had in corps. Also how was it determined which corps horn to play and who decided, you or corps staff?.

Well I wanted to march in a corps after going to Finals in 03 and 04.

So I picked up a mello from my college marching band, and taught myself the horn.

I marched that following season, and this will be my age-out year.

I started on bassoon in middle school, played that for 5 years (including HS wind-ensemble), and marched tenor sax in the marching band in HS and 1 year in college.

Anything is possible :)

I played flute for...seven years. When I graduated from high school, I decided I wanted to march drum corps so I borrowed a broken alto horn from my old high schooland a broken trumpet from a friend. I played flute for a couple quarters in my college concert band. I auditioned for a mello spot because that's what I told the staff I wanted to play. They almost put me on trumpet because there were more open spots, but I ended up playing mello. Most of the time, in the corps I marched, new brass players chose what instrument they wanted to play. If the staff felt their decision wasnt the best, they would be switched.

Sax was my main instrument. I messed around a p.o.c. trombone, thus I walked into corps with a basic knowledge of low brass. They then put a v-r baritone in my hand. Talk about culture shock. A few months later I got a 2-valve.

Clarinet was my instrument. I had never even held a brass instrument before. I procured a marching baritone at the end of October, and I taught myself to play. I went to the November camp for my corps. I had never played brass with an ensemble, or done a lip slur. I was a total bag.

But I kept coming back and practiced every day and I got a contract at the March camp. Just based on improvement, dedication, and the fact that I could pay.

I wish I had switched 5 years earlier. It really wasn't that hard.

Staff doesn't "put" you anywhere, at least not in DI. You get to choose.

Same with me. I played clarinet before hand, and was given a baritone to play in my own marching band because we had no low brass and we didn't have an available mellophone for me. Sooo ... I went to the December camp with only 4 months experience and got a contract. Sometimes they look at how far you've come as in playing wise, but it really depends where you go. I was going to do senior corps and they were willing to put me anywhere, so I guess it's different everywhere you go.

I started learning baritone when I went to college, and now I'm marching where I've wanted to march. I've only got this summer and next summer, but that's a lot better than nothing B) I got an alternate spot in January and a drill spot at the beginning of April.

I've played sax since 6th grade (clarinet in 5th), and was DM my senior year of high school. I still play sax at school in the Wind Symphony.

As for why I chose baritone... I definitely couldn't get good enough at Trumpet to make the line, and I hate the sound of bad french horn players, which is exactly what I would've been on a mello. I think I chose baritone over tuba b/c I thought that I might be able to read treble clef parts on the baritone, but that didn't turn out to be the case. So I'm like 90% bass clef fluent now, heh.

I'm leaving on Friday, woohoo!

Edited by soccerguy315

So far no sops or contras (OK, OK trumpets and tubas :worthy: ) except for one near miss. All mellis and baris.... intersting and thanks for the responses so far.

Also interesting that the WWs to brass stories all seem to be occuring in the last few years. Can't remember anything like that in my day but then I didn't have much contact with Jr corps members.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

i convinced my buddy (a fellow percussion major) to audition for tuba....he is now marching tuba for a division 1 corps....a visual monster....and catching on quick with the music...

I'm a saxophonist who learned to play brass on a marching baritone from my HS this past September. It took a huge amount of practice, but I'm marching this summer. I'm leaving on June 4th.

I was going to learn tuba, but I was having trouble playing it. I could move enough air, but I couldn't get a good sound out on a huge tuba mouthpiece. Then I tried a friends euphonium and found out that I was actually able to play it pretty well, so I learned that instead.

A person I talked to when I was first learning to play told me that a friend of his learned trumpet, and 6 months later had a contract for the Cadets. Now THAT'S amazing, if it's true.