My son is looking into marching corps next year

It looks like you are also close to Rockford, have you considered Phantom? And how close are you to Toledo or Canton?

Toledo and Canton are just a little far away for his schedule-I think about 10-12 hours away. He would probably have to give up some other activities to be able to attend their camps, although he absolutely loves Bluecoats.

He would prefer to not march Phantom. Not to upset any Phantom people, but to be honest he finds them a little snobbish and rude. He was also kind of disturbed by 2 rude young women who were working their souvie booth last year. After losing a show to Scouts, they made some uncalled for remarks about the Scouts, and that kind of turned him off to them.

He would really prefer to march Cavies or SCV, his 2 favorite corps. Unfortunately Santa Clara is just too far away to be able to make camps for. I am hoping to volunteer at camps for whatever corps he auditions for(and maybe help with cook truck or souvies for a part of the tour) but that would limit the amount of vacation I would be able to take the rest of the year. So it would need to be somewhere we could drive to in 4 hours or less.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our other question is more personal in nature. My son came out as openly gay at the beginning of his freshmen year(he is just finishing his sophomore year). I have read on these boards that most corps are gay friendly, and just wondered if anyone can tell me if they have dealt with these issues.

Not once have I had any comments made about my bi-sexuality that were NOT supportive.

I think it's safe to say, that it won't be an issue.

At all.

might I suggest if he doesn't make a Div I corps the first shot, that he try a div II/III, they make great stepping stones.

I appreciate the suggestion, we have discussed DII/III. The reason he would prefer to march DI is simply the fact that he doesn't know exactly what will happen after his senior year, and whether he might be able to march again. He would love to get as much out of this next year as possible. DI perform about 30-40 shows during the summer, whereas most DII/III don't have anywhere near that many performances.

He has figured if he didn't make one of the corps he auditions for, he will definitely give II/III a shot.

Pioneer is A great corps out of Milwaukee.

I appreciate the suggestion, we have discussed DII/III. The reason he would prefer to march DI is simply the fact that he doesn't know exactly what will happen after his senior year, and whether he might be able to march again. He would love to get as much out of this next year as possible. DI perform about 30-40 shows during the summer, whereas most DII/III don't have anywhere near that many performances.

He has figured if he didn't make one of the corps he auditions for, he will definitely give II/III a shot.

It would be hard to make the cut at one of the big corps. There are alot of people trying out for corps like Cavaliers, Madison, SCV and with your son being young, it would be hard. Not impossible, but very hard to make the cut unless your son is just simply amazing for a young age. I know that the Blue Devils rarely take kids that are still in high school. The demand that these corps place not only playing but marching and for someone who has no marching experience with drumcorp...it can be overwhelming. Go to some shows this year and try to talk to some instructors and see what they expect at an audition. Good luck.

My name is Charles, and my soon to be 16 year old son is looking to join a drum corps for the 2007 season. We live in the midwest, and are within a 3-4 hour drive of Madison, Dubuque, Rosemont, Lacrosse, all of which have amazing corps. He also wants to march DI, since he doesn't know how many years he will be able to march, he wants to get the most out of the experience, and almost all of the DI corps have more shows during the summer.

We made the agreement that he would save half the money to pay for corps with his part time job he has, and I would pay the other half. He doesn't know that my wife and I are actually going to pay for the whole thing, and he can use the money he has saved for whatever extras he wants on tour.

He is just finishing up his sophomore year, playing trumpet. Although he is first chair in concert band, and a trumpet soloist for marching band, he also plays suzaphone(marching tuba) in the marching band, since they only had 2 tuba for a band of close to 200 members. So he started this years show with a trumpet solo, and then switched to a suzaphone for the rest of the show.

So my first question is, do you think he should maybe audition on trumpet, or maybe contra? He enjoys both trumpet and tuba, and picked up tuba pretty quickly. I think he could probably pick up almost any instrument fairly quickly. I know the talent level is amazing in corps, so I know it won't be easy to make it on any instrument, but he is really working hard practicing several hours a day. Do you know if it is easier to make it on soprano or contra, I have heard that there aren't as many contras at auditions as sopranos.

Our other question is more personal in nature. My son came out as openly gay at the beginning of his freshmen year(he is just finishing his sophomore year). I have read on these boards that most corps are gay friendly, and just wondered if anyone can tell me if they have dealt with these issues. I mean, 2 1/2 months is a long time to deal with people, and if the corps is not supportive of something like this, I would prefer to know now. Is it okay to contact directors to ask questions about their policies?

He would like to join either Cavaliers, Scouts, Colts, or Blue Stars- and I know at shows we have attended he has met members of different corps that have been gay, but they have mostly been in the guard, and have suggested he might march colorguard. Although he has mentioned that it looks kind of exciting, he would prefer to march hornline.

Thoughts, information, anything would be appreciated at this time.

Thank you

Charles

Well first of all, thanks for having your son's best interest in hand, you and your wife are great parents.

Your son should audition with whatever his strength is and keep an open mind. Most brass staff like kids who are flexible, especially if they already have the trumpet line filled and they like him, they can put him where they have a need.

As for being gay, I don't think it matters nowadays, as long as he does his best and he puts everything he has into the show: it wouldn't matter to me.

As for which corps to go to, let him make that decision. Most of the corps in the mid west have excellent programs so I don't think he can make a bad decision. I would talk to the corps directors and see what they say.

Your son is lucky to have parnets who have an interest in his activities.

Good luck and thanks for caring. B)

Edited by ODBC

Being gay will be no problem wherever he chooses to march. As for which instrument he should audition on I'd say go for contra just because cors are always trying to find contra players, and if hes just looking to march I'm sure hed get a spot.

this is coming from a trumpet player.

Charles,

As for the issue of being gay: it's a non issue, so let's move on.

As for the issue of which instrument... he needs to make that decision himself. Having played low brass, I will say that its more wear and tear on the back as the season progresses. And contras (tubas) obviously are a tad heavier, but after a few weeks on the road, it won't matter.

Also, I see a lot of people talking about how difficult it is to make the corps. This is pure hogwash! If your son has the dedication and can put forth 110% effort every day, he will make any corps he auditions for. The most important factor in drum corps is determening the potential and dedication in future members. A horn staff can teach your son to play better if he is willing to put in the work. I have witnessed violin players, with no brass experience at all, walk into a division I corps and make the hornline after several weeks of auditions simply becuase they possesed the determination and grit to stick with it and not give up. And remember, there is a certain amount of autrition that occurs over the winter and spring as well, leaving many corps looking for members in May and June.

My advice to you, since you are in the midwest, find out where a corps is rehearsing this summer and take him out for the day to see the corps go through the in's and outs of a typical day on tour. Any corps would be happy to let you watch and get an idea of what the experience is like. Watch the rehearsals, check out the gyms where the kids sleep, take a look at the food trucks, and follow them to a show, watch the hornline warm up, and follow them in to the stadium and watch the show. Nothing beats getting first hand knowledge.

Good luck to both of you and welcome to the world of drum corps b**bs

Edited by Newseditor44

In my experience, Phantom's members have been some of the most level headed and unarrogant corps members I have met. They're widely regarded as one of the classiest corps, in fact. There have been a few complaints about those two women working the souvenier booth, as well. There was even a thread started recently based on one persons bad experience with those two women, and how they represented the corps so terribly and un-phantom-like.

However, it sounds great that you are so supportive in so many facets of your sons life. A friend of mine recently came out, and was grounded. I still don't see how there can be any positive effect by grounding someone due to his or her sexual orientation. If only he had parents as understanding as you seem to be.

Your son should march whatever section he wants to. Contra is MUCH easier to make than trumpet since excellent tubists are few and far between, but if your son's good enough he could make trumpet.

If he doesn't make a Division I corps, there are a few Div II corps that have full summer tours. Memphis Sound, for example, is competing in 23 shows this summer including championships, and a few parades and concerts.

Good luck to him!

As a parent and grandparent, I add my congratulations to your family for your support of your son. As others have said, this activity is an open one. We have lost far too many of our brightest talents much too young to be otherwise, including a brilliant gentleman from Phantom.

From what I've seen, contras are in much greater demand than upper voices, but if your son is strongest on trumpet, that may be the equalizer. I wouldn't worry about the age issue if he has the talent and work ethic. It may be a concern for the very elite D1 programs, but below the top 3 or 4 there are many high school students. If he needs a year or two of development, there's also the DCA option. Besides MBI, the midwest is developing rapidly.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!