Balancing Drum Corps and Family

We all love this activity, and I have seen where some corps have their entire family marching. What a great way to balance Corps and Family. Unfortunately this is not the case for everyone and sometimes hard choices have to be made.

SoCal Dream had a great camp this past weekend, and we still seem to be on target to put a complete show on the field our first time out this month. However we are still short a couple horn players. Unfortunately, Sunday night after camp, we got a call that one of current upper lead sops had to make that tough choice between Corps and Family. Due to a family situation, he has had to resign his position in the corps. I am real sorry to lose him and I really hope and pray that everyone in his family gets through this situation and all will be well real soon.

I am not going into specific details because the why doesnt matter. SoCal Dream still needed one more upper lead, however with this situation, we now need two upper leads and I am sure everyone knows that time is now real short. We have 4 rehearsals left before our first show and only have one upper lead spot filled. We are looking for help to fill these spots ASAP. I watched the Renegades fill up their snare line in the past week and I know that many people helped shake the trees to find them. Following on that, I am posting here in hopes that some of you may know some players that arent commited somewhere else or may be in our area but didnt want to travel every weekend to march.

If you are reading this and know someone or might be in that category yourself, and you want to have a great summer experience, email me at membership@socaldream.org.

Thanks for reading this, SoCal Dream needs your help.

We all love this activity, and I have seen where some corps have their entire family marching. What a great way to balance Corps and Family. Unfortunately this is not the case for everyone and sometimes hard choices have to be made.

SoCal Dream had a great camp this past weekend, and we still seem to be on target to put a complete show on the field our first time out this month. However we are still short a couple horn players. Unfortunately, Sunday night after camp, we got a call that one of current upper lead sops had to make that tough choice between Corps and Family. Due to a family situation, he has had to resign his position in the corps. I am real sorry to lose him and I really hope and pray that everyone in his family gets through this situation and all will be well real soon.

I am not going into specific details because the why doesnt matter.

No it doesn't, because ultimately it's just drum corps, especially when family is involved. It's a tough loss, but good for you and your organization for understanding what the important things are - hopefully that will come back around to you and you'll get that horn spot filled ASAP!

I'll put the word out on my blog - not that ALL that many people read it, but ya never know... Good luck and look forward to seeing you guys soon!

Its always tough to plan for the summer and then people choose something else.I've been through it every year and realize it just part of business.

We're going through it ourselves, but its how you manage the tough times that count. Realizing that everyone is looking to you (corps director) for solution, be thankful they trust that the best efforts will prevail.Keeping the staff up is tough too, they also will need to trust you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have no doubt that we will get through this and do so in a fantastic way. Right now SoCal Dream is better than it has ever been. Our current staff and membership are very dedicated to the program.

No matter what happens in the next couple weeks, we will come out of the gate strong and I know we will shock a few people along the way. We are in the A class in DCA this year and plan to leave our mark in the future history of DCA A class.

I posted in the recruitment zone on soundmachine for you guys. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your show this coming season............

I posted in the recruitment zone on soundmachine for you guys. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your show this coming season............

Thanks, Richard.

Somehow, I think both SCD and Renegades will utterly ROCK DCA because of all of this.

My pleasure. Just trying to help all of us grow out here on the left coast...........

I think in all the talk of the need for an upper sop it was forgotten that we could use any sop players...

If you want to march, just ask us...We'll find a spot for you. :)

I think in all the talk of the need for an upper sop it was forgotten that we could use any sop players...

If you want to march, just ask us...We'll find a spot for you. :)

Yeah....it'd be kinda nice to not have that hole between me and Ian...

Peope...there is NO comparison between this year and previous years....this is not the Dream you're familiar with....it's a MUCH improved product. You WANT to be a part of it

You just need to find people whose family IS drum corps. Our family does Crossmen followed by Ridley Marching Band and USSBA followed by Apex/Bpex Winterguard with about two weeks off between each season. You need more nuts like us who just love the activity. Not sure where you find 'em but good luck. b**bs

Hoping hoping to see you on the field soon.