Balancing Drum Corps and Family

Life is short - you just have to make choices

Though I enjoyed the competitive scene, over 25 years (on and off), and my kids grew up on Capitol Brass, we found that, since we ended the senior corps 12 years ago, the three of us have built busy, full lives, with family as well as professional and musical interests outside of drum corps.

We all miss drum corps, but would never give up all the things we've been able to have since then. The greatest thing, for me, is that both of my (now grown) kids are involved in building the mini-corps with me, where we can join together with others who have had to leave drum corps; and now still get our fix without giving everything else up.

When you think about this, you have to admire anyone who can manage to continue in this activity year after year.

I remember when we had the local corps, there was time only for the drum corps, (outside of work). The only way I managed to stay involved was that my wife and kids were also in the corps.

A 2 month respite to recharge, but really right back at it with quite a bit of time involved every week. I was running a local corps, but when you figure that many participants travel a distance and also pitch in for behind-the-scences duties, just participating is a huge time committment.

Since leaving the activity, I got re-aquainted with my (whole) family, attended music school, got more serious about my trumpet playing, started a new band and played on several, opened a new business, got re-married, built a home, put my youngest through college (not in any particular order).

There's A LOT of other stuff out there that is pretty hard to focus on while marching competition (though I know many of you manage to pull it off).

It is a GREAT activity, and I don't regret being involved, but sooner or later life has to go on.

O.K. I'm only half way through a can of Labatt's but here is my thought(s).

Look at my profile. You'll probably see a 23 year break in service. REASON: Priorities.

Only you can decided, as an individual, what your priorities are. Leaving drum corps' when I did "Purtneer" killed me as far as self esteem and who I was as a person. But guess what?

Once the kids were grown up and out of the house...........I was able to come back as though I had never left........that's the beauty of DRUM CORPS'.

Do what you have to do IMO. Your Drum Corps' Family will always be there. Sure the faces may change.......but it will always remain your family. Trust me on this........

Edited by melligene

I was born into a drum corps family.

Dad was gone all the time and Mom finnaly said enough is enough. We do this as a family or NOT. So Dad straped 2 sets of aluminum bunk beds to the sides of our van and bought a tent and porta potty.

We did it year after year and never ever complained. It was in ALL of our blood. Mothers can help in lots of ways and the kids can be utilised for odd jobs.

I just don't understand how anyone can marry someone who isn't into drum corps. Especially if the numskull is a true blue drum corps nut. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I feel no pitty for them.

Ya gotta warn them in advance before the wedding. Get them to sign a pre nup RE: never interfearing in drum corps activities. LOL

There is always Alumni corps if ya just have to do drum corps but DCA is just to busy.

Thanks everyone for sharing different stories about how you have made choices between family and corps. It is a choice each of us must make every year as the season begins.

Well being that our first show is less than 14 days away, we have come up with a solution. However, we are still looking for new members to join.

Our current solution is that I am jumping from the conductors podium to help fill in the sop line for part of the show. So eventhough I wasnt going to march the show this year, because of my knees and because I auditioned and was awarded the Drum Major position, I will now be marching part of it. I really wanted to conduct, but when the situation arose, I told the staff to use me in whatever way would benefit the corps the most. So Mike Nash will be jumping on the front podium for the parts of the show I march and I will be up there for the rest. This is actually a great solution for me. I love playing and entertaining a crowd, but I also love to conduct. Now I get the best of both worlds. I get to march, play a couple solos and conduct.

Everyone in SoCal Dream is having a lot of fun this year, and we are moving forward faster than in any previous year. I know we are all looking forward to presenting our show to the fans. I hope you all enjoy it! For those that had to prioritize life and leave us, I hope all things work out well for you and you will be able to return to us next season. You and your family are in my thoughts....take care.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

I was born into a drum corps family.<snip>

I just don't understand how anyone can marry someone who isn't into drum corps. Especially if the numskull is a true blue drum corps nut. <snip>Ya gotta warn them in advance before the wedding. Get them to sign a pre nup RE: never interfearing in drum corps activities. LOL

There is always Alumni corps if ya just have to do drum corps but DCA is just to busy.

Cindy,

I totally agree with you. I was fortunate to have a mate who loved corpsdom and got involved in her own way as The Cookie Faerie. Later, I had a partner who didn't get it. It's sooooo much easier now. I don't have to answer to anyone. My next love will be from corps or will be exposed to it and love it!

I have lived some of what Tom McD, Melligene, et al. mentioned. Drum corps can be all-consuming. I believe I'll be home 2 days in July. (Hope I can jump into some horn arcs to warm up on the road.) I've had years that I was away from corpsdom. Yep, it is still here waiting for one if you have to be "away." Corps is a special camaraderie!

If nothing else, drum corps gives you a purpose and something to do. My husband is in the corps with me so we spend our leisure time together with a common goal. He's a baritone, thank goodness, so we are not competing as players! You get what you put into it but it provides an outlet for my creative side and a sense of pride. It takes up much of my time (and money) but it's worth it. My brother and nephew also march with me so we really are one big happy family! :worthy: