Mini Corps

The issue of copyright is a topic the has several pages in the General DCI Corps Discussions. If you read it you will see more opinions on what constitue copyright. I STILL believe that the real problem is recordings. Some is making money off the sale and not sharing the pie. Does the company who records copyrighted music pay any royalties either to the original composer or the performers? And to the arrainger who said it was the corps responsibility, read the inside cover of most any magazine and it says "reproduction all, or in part". Any piece that I can identify is IN PART. If you are the arrainger and you sell (make money) you are who copyright was designed for, as are the people who make revenue. DCA are you making profit of the sale of recordings? This is why there are all these fees, someone has to be greased. Before mass recordings were done no one asked for money, but now Associations like DCI make great revenues . These revenues are 3rd party finances. The third party tends to be profit oriented and not part of the arrainging or performing venue. Yes, contact your state rep or your congressman and be verbal before you are relegated to "Mary had a litte lamb"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a simple question...... I think. ........If I&E participants were/are recorded by either audio or video by a contract through DCA would they (participants) have to provide the same rights to arrange and perform as all others? Liability insurance, etc? Just a question. Might have been answered somewhere on this site. (not sure) Seems to me (and my wife says I'm usually wrong) but wheather your one person or a finite number the same rules should apply.

Yes? NO? I'm confused........

LEE? .......(calling the left coast)....LEE.....

Edited by melligene

You are correct... remember... the laws of the land supercede any rules of a drum corps association...

By the laws as they now stand... everyone (individuals or small groups) must have "performance rights" of some kind to perform music written by someone else. The corps get these for a modest cost as non profit organizations. (as we all know, some refuse these rights or make it very difficult a la John Williams) Anyone profiting from these performances by selling recordings must get an entirely different "mechanical right" to the music.

A legitimate recording company trying to market these performances would INSIST on having a copy of the "performance rights" and would use these as part of their application for "mechanical rights".

the difficult thing is that the system assumes there's millions of dollars involved... you now know why a dvd or cd that you think should sell for $10, sells for $25. (Low volume of sales vs relatively high cost of getting mechanical rights)

As with everything... be careful what you wish for... there are many sides to every situation.

I have a simple question...... I think. ........If I&E participants were/are recorded by either audio or video by a contract through DCA would they (participants) have to provide the same rights to arrange and perform as all others? Liability insurance, etc? Just a question. Might have been answered somewhere on this site. (not sure) Seems to me (and my wife says I'm usually wrong) but wheather your one person or a finite number the same rules should apply.

Yes? NO? I'm confused........

The issue of copyright is a topic the has several pages in the General DCI Corps Discussions. If you read it you will see more opinions on what constitue copyright. I STILL believe that the real problem is recordings. Some is making money off the sale and not sharing the pie. Does the company who records copyrighted music pay any royalties either to the original composer or the performers? And to the arrainger who said it was the corps responsibility, read the inside cover of most any magazine and it says "reproduction all, or in part". Any piece that I can identify is IN PART. If you are the arrainger and you sell (make money) you are who copyright was designed for, as are the people who make revenue. DCA are you making profit of the sale of recordings? This is why there are all these fees, someone has to be greased. Before mass recordings were done no one asked for money, but now Associations like DCI make great revenues . These revenues are 3rd party finances. The third party tends to be profit oriented and not part of the arrainging or performing venue. Yes, contact your state rep or your congressman and be verbal before you are relegated to "Mary had a litte lamb"

Excellant post. Next question (probably would have to be answered by the recording contracted entity) Can you refuse to be recorded? O.K. I lied. Another question? (as a former photogropher) Isn't a Model release required, signed by each individual and/or a representative of that individual required before any recording, facsimille therof, etc. be published and/or sold to the general public?

Okay,

with that can of worms thoughly open and spilled out all over DCP,

now... who can suggest a good source for the insurance I'll need?

we use State Farm for a great price, they cover all of our members and alumni, about 500 people, but State Farm won't insure a group that is not legally organized,...................

You are correct... remember... the laws of the land supercede any rules of a drum corps association...

By the laws as they now stand... everyone (individuals or small groups) must have "performance rights" of some kind to perform music written by someone else. The corps get these for a modest cost as non profit organizations. (as we all know, some refuse these rights or make it very difficult a la John Williams) Anyone profiting from these performances by selling recordings must get an entirely different "mechanical right" to the music.

A legitimate recording company trying to market these performances would INSIST on having a copy of the "performance rights" and would use these as part of their application for "mechanical rights".

the difficult thing is that the system assumes there's millions of dollars involved... you now know why a dvd or cd that you think should sell for $10, sells for $25. (Low volume of sales vs relatively high cost of getting mechanical rights)

As with everything... be careful what you wish for... there are many sides to every situation.

Great post Tom......But, why should the performing groups pay for the "rights" when the performers aren't making any money of the recordings? Who makes THE MONEY off of these recordings?

Shouldn't the the people who profit from these recordings pay for these rights, or does the performers get a "kick back" from some of the sales?

Great post Tom......But, why should the performing groups pay for the "rights" when the performers aren't making any money of the recordings? Who makes THE MONEY off of these recordings?

Shouldn't the the people who profit from these recordings pay for these rights, or does the performers get a "kick back" from some of the sales?

Another good point. We seem to be paying for rights to arrange and perform and yet, monetarily we receive NADA. I questioned in an earlier post......who gives up our rights as a performer? There is such a thing called a Model Release. Unless, as I understand it, a Corps' reliquishes those rights to include all members......No One can show your face, my face my/your performance without your expressed written consent to do so compensation not withstanding. In other words.......If I have to pay to play.....so do you. Did that make any sense? I think I just confused myself......

Edited by melligene