Div 1 Snarelines

kylerogers

Has anyone noticed alot of snarelines are going to 8 instead of 9 or 10 in the past.

Of all the Div 1 corps who have pictures on the internet, these have 8 snares:

Blue Devils

Crusaders

Cavies

Crossmen

Mandarins

Pioneer

SCV

Southwind

(there are probably more)

Cadets, Scouts and Magic have 9.

Have you noticed, and why do you think this is happening?

Edited by kylerogers

Has anyone noticed alot of snarelines are going to 8 instead of 9 or 10 in the past.

Of all the Div 1 corps who have pictures on the internet, these have 8 snares:

Blue Devils

Crusaders

Cavies

Crossmen

Mandarins

Pioneer

SCV

Southwind

(there are probably more)

Cadets, Scouts and Magic have 9.

Have you noticed, and why do you think this is happening?

Cadets and Coats have 10. I've heard that Cap Regiment has 10, too. PR, Southwind, Scouts have 9.

Mike in OH

this goes up and down every 6 to t years....nothing new...this has been going on for the past 30 years. some years its popular to march 7-5-5, other years 10-5-5...some possible reasons is talent and what they want to achieve with the line/show...no sense in having 6 returning members and fielding 10 snares if the talent isnt there, its easier to add 1 or 2 (probably from bass vet) than train someone entirely new.

my experience...seven usually meant you lost snaredrummers either due to knees or other issues (though it could be lack of talent). It always seemed harder to keep a snareline together and healthy than a quad line. I theorized it was always us fatties on the quadline whose knees could take anything compared to the skinnies on the snareline who all had knee braces by the end of the summer. But remember, just cause they march a small number doesn't usually mean they wanted it that way.

Cap Reg is at 10 snares this year.

personally a larger snare/tenor line will not net you higher results, no matter how clean, how expressive...the only thing it CAN do is net you lower results, due to cleaning such a large spread. I would rather see more melodic-tonal representation, than huge drumlines on the field. Star of Indiana won GE percussion and almost won drums over Cadets in 1990 with 5 snares, 4 tenors and 5 basses. (they won drums in 91 and 93 with one of the smallest battery perc in top 12) remember, the battery only plays an equal role along with the front in today's scoring system.

however, i marched in a line 10-5-5 and it is thrilling!

however, i marched in a line 10-5-5 and it is thrilling!

Which drumline was that?