Some helpful hints and techniques

The Original El Guapo

Hello all,

Through my many years playing trumpet I thought I might share some knowledge to help other brass players. If you have any please feel free to share them with everyone else.

Here is my first one. Many brass players tend to tense up when playing for long periods of time especially when in the higher range. Thus making the tone very tight and airy. One way to fix it is this. Go to the local hardware store and a pvc pipe about two inches wides and about two inches long. attach a CLEAN very small trash bag to it with tape. Now everytime you begin to tense up put down the horn pick up the tool and breathe in for four and out for four. Do this for about three to four times. Anymore and you will begin to hyperventelate. The reason for using the tool is it will open up your throat with the warm air going in and out. Then go back to the horn and you will notice that your tone will sound so much warmer and full.

El Guapo

Another tip

If you want to practice your buzzing without having to pay money for the "burp" do this. Once again go to the local hardware store and bring your mouthpiece. Go the garden center and ask if you can cut a specific length off a garden hose. It should be the length of six inches. Make sure when you put the mouthpiece in there should be a tight fit so no air can escape between the mouthpiece and the hose. when you begin to buzz you will notice a resistance and you are on your way in becoming a better player.

Also all great players do this............Bring a pencil to rehearsals.

El Guapo

Another tip

If you want to practice your buzzing without having to pay money for the "burp" do this.  Once again go to the local hardware store and bring your mouthpiece.  Go the garden center and ask if you can cut a specific length off a garden hose.  It should be the length of six inches.  Make sure when you put the mouthpiece in there should be  a tight fit so no air can escape between the mouthpiece and the hose.  when you begin to buzz you will notice a resistance and you are on your way in becoming a better player.

El Guapo

....and hold it between your lips for exercise (while not playing of course)...hold the eraser end between your lips straight out as an exercise and to build the muscles....

Take out the pencil when "hoisting" a few.

Bill

Kilts

B)

What the heII is THIS right here????

:angry:

Another tip

If you want to practice your buzzing without having to pay money for the "burp" do this.  Once again go to the local hardware store and bring your mouthpiece.  Go the garden center and ask if you can cut a specific length off a garden hose.  It should be the length of six inches.  Make sure when you put the mouthpiece in there should be  a tight fit so no air can escape between the mouthpiece and the hose.  when you begin to buzz you will notice a resistance and you are on your way in becoming a better player.

El Guapo

....and hold it between your lips for exercise (while not playing of course)...hold the eraser end between your lips straight out as an exercise and to build the muscles....

Take out the pencil when "hoisting" a few.

Bill

Kilts

B)

What the heII is THIS right here????

:angry:

Actually Bill you bring up a good point. One problem that one may have is playing with your teeth closed. You can use the pencil as a guide as how much space there should be between the teeth when playing thus not restricting the air flow. B)

El Guapo

Great advice. Let me add if I may, just like people looking for a fast way to lose weight, there is no substitution for good old diet and exercise. In the case of horn playing, there is no substitution for good old practice, at least a hour a day and seven days a week. I have had people say to take a day a week off from it, but over the 25 years of playing, I found that playing everyday is best. Not that I follow my own advice all the time.

I was taught many years ago also that if you want to play the high parts, you got to practice the high parts. I know this sounds silly, but I have seen players who think if they "save it for the show", you will have more lip left. I think you all know what I mean, and know people who practiced this.

A few things I've learned recently....

Slurs... think of the higher notes horizontally... so when you play, think further in front of you as opposed to higher up! This one REALLY worked for me.

At camp we did air and valve until I thought I'd throw up... haha BUT, I came home, and made this a part of my daily warm up... I'm also impressed with the difference this has made for me!!

Another big thing that I've learned to to try to get rid of the mental blocks againts things that I have trouble or issues with. If found that I know I can do it...it's just that I'm stressing too much about making it happen, and the moment I chill out, take a few deep breaths, it happens!!!

That's all from me at the moment...

I have a good story. During one of my private lessons my instructor told me about the monet mouthpieces. How they had a new design that made playing a little easier and more comfortable. I was like huh? Looks like a regular mouthpiece to me just with gold. Then he said the hardest octave slur to hit is F to F. He told me to try it on my regular mouthpiece on the trumpet. well sure enough I was cracking everywhere. Then he handed me the monet mouthpiece. As soon as I tried it I was hitting that octave slur like nothing. Then he told me to put my horn down and close my eyes. He switched the monet moutpiece with my old one then told me to try the slur again. Well I was still hitting the slur perfectly. As soon as I opened my eyes and was shocked to see what happening then I went back to the same old thing. I sat there speechless and all my instuctor said was nothing. He just went on to the next exerise. I could tell he was waiting for me to say something. But I knew that if I did he would know that I missed the point. Without saying anything my instructor taught me that performing is about 99% and the other 1% physical. I was doing the same perfect slurs on my regular mouthpiece than I was with the 300 dollar one. It was all in my head. I believe that I could and I did once I lost concentration I went back to the same habits.

Sorry thing went to long

All posts on here have great advice and I agree with it all 100%! Also, I am a great advocate of having a "proper" warm-up and "warming down", as well. One of my private teachers taught me that a good warm-up should consist of long tones, some nice slurring, on the lower and middle registers and some short staccato passages, to get your tongue working. Then you can add a few regular scales and some chromatic scales. All this should encompass about 15 min worth. This has always worked great for me! I feel it really primes your chops and gets you ready to go!

I also feel that a good "warm-down" is very important; especially after you've been playing for a long time or have just gotton done playing a number of very strenuous/demanding pieces of music, and your chops are very "tight". For me, a warm-down consists of some good, long tones, starting on low C and then continuing down chromatically to "peddle tones". We used to do a lot of warm downs, with both long tones on the lower register and peddle tones, when I was in Crossmen, especially in 1990, and it always helped us immensely. It's a great way to loosen up and you'll also find that, in a lot of cases, your chops are less tight the next day, when you go to play.

In my opinion, "warm-downs" are especially good for high brass players, who have been doing a lot of heavy playing in the upper register, for long periods of time.

P.S. - Bill, great idea about the "pencils"! Brings back memories for me, as we had a thing we used to do in the lead sop line in Crossmen 1990: We would take our mouthpieces out and turn them upside down, bow our heads, then put the shank of the mouthpiece between our lips and hold it there as long as we could!

Edited by FireSop1

I have a good story. During one of my private lessons my instructor told me about the monet mouthpieces. How they had a new design that made playing a little easier and more comfortable. I was like huh? Looks like a regular mouthpiece to me just with gold. Then he said the hardest octave slur to hit is F to F. He told me to try it on my regular mouthpiece on the trumpet. well sure enough I was cracking everywhere. Then he handed me the monet mouthpiece. As soon as I tried it I was hitting that octave slur like nothing. Then he told me to put my horn down and close my eyes. He switched the monet moutpiece with my old one then told me to try the slur again. Well I was still hitting the slur perfectly. As soon as I opened my eyes and was shocked to see what happening then I went back to the same old thing. I sat there speechless and all my instuctor said was nothing. He just went on to the next exerise. I could tell he was waiting for me to say something. But I knew that if I did he would know that I missed the point. Without saying anything my instructor taught me that performing is about 99% and the other 1% physical. I was doing the same perfect slurs on my regular mouthpiece than I was with the 300 dollar one. It was all in my head. I believe that I could and I did once I lost concentration I went back to the same habits.

Sorry thing went to long

Not that there is anything wrong with a $300 mouthpiece! As a matter of fact, I'm getting my Monette MF II Prana today!($315). 99% performing, 1% physical? I don't agree with that statement. Although, I will agree with you that the mental aspect of playing is the biggest part of performing. Having the right horn and mouthpiece just make it that much easier. They are important factors in playing at a high level.