Drum Corps and Life

That sort of answers my questions, but why do I feel so burnt out?

It's just a transitional phase. I used to feel that way at the beginning of the season. Once you start performing and the juices start flowing, you'll feel completely different.

In terms of preparation for college, think about this:

1. You will probably perform in front of more people this summer than you will in 4 years of college.

2. You're a vet. There are younger and less experienced members looking to you for leadership. That kind of experience is hard to come by.

3. You're going to college to become a professional. Professionalism means doing the job whether you feel like it or not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another new challenge might be to start seeing yourself as more of a leader/teacher. Practice being a mentor to the younger kids. Those are skills that are not as easy to develop as playing skills and will definitely help you in many ways throughout your life. Many orchestral players make a large part of their living teaching.

Another new challenge might be to start seeing yourself as more of a leader/teacher. Practice being a mentor to the younger kids. Those are skills that are not as easy to develop as playing skills and will definitely help you in many ways throughout your life. Many orchestral players make a large part of their living teaching.

:music:

There are lots of valid points in response to your dilemna.

And the rewards are that much greater when you know that you have helped someone else reach the same goals that you have set for yourself.

When you hit the wall, you have a choice to make-do you simply walk away from it and always wonder what was on the other side? Or do you find a way to go over, through or around the wall and find out for yourself? :music:

Hang in there for another summer and then make a decision-you have people who depend on you, whether you know it or not. Don't go through your life wishing that you'd stuck it out. NO REGRETS!

Good luck in your decision and your season.

I'm going to add my .02 here and it's not going to be popular. (as usual)

Life goes on. Drum corps is just a small part of it. If you are burnt, maybe it's time to do something else. Redirect your energy toward things you will find rewarding and exciting, and yes, good for your future. I didn't march my age out year and have no regrets whatsoever. Once you've had your fill, there's no reason to rehash the same old stuff, been there, done that, grown from it, move on.

Ask yourself... What will I learn this year in corps that I didn't already know, what will I do that I haven't already done? If you find that queston hard to answer, then maybe it's time.

It's just a transitional phase. I used to feel that way at the beginning of the season. Once you start performing and the juices start flowing, you'll feel completely different.

In terms of preparation for college, think about this:

1. You will probably perform in front of more people this summer than you will in 4 years of college.

2. You're a vet. There are younger and less experienced members looking to you for leadership. That kind of experience is hard to come by.

3. You're going to college to become a professional. Professionalism means doing the job whether you feel like it or not.

Nailed it ++

Wow, some good points here. But I guess my situation is different. I am now attending a summer semester program at the Caroll Center for the Blind. It's a certificate program where I learn how to cross streets on my own with my long, white cane, cook on my own, and read braille music. I graduate from the program July sixth, so I think I am just tired of studying and traveling to rehearsal alot. I am in a div three corps, which means that I will move in and live with a host family until tour. As a totally blind kid, it takes my new host parents a little bit of getting used to. I have lived with a total of seventeen host families in my marching and student career. I just miss my own family alot sometimes. I have had a lot of bad situations come up due to my disability, but the corps I am with now is awesome! It would kill me to leave them, but I am just so burnt out and I miss my family.

You shouldn't worry about your blindness. If anything, it's totally inspiration to your fellow marchers.

The decision to stay or leave is yours however.

My recommendation is to finish THIS season, though. And then in a year, you'll smell some diesel and fresh grass, and you'll absolutely ACHE to be on the field.

I'm going to add my .02 here and it's not going to be popular. (as usual)

Life goes on. Drum corps is just a small part of it. If you are burnt, maybe it's time to do something else. Redirect your energy toward things you will find rewarding and exciting, and yes, good for your future. I didn't march my age out year and have no regrets whatsoever. Once you've had your fill, there's no reason to rehash the same old stuff, been there, done that, grown from it, move on.

Ask yourself... What will I learn this year in corps that I didn't already know, what will I do that I haven't already done? If you find that queston hard to answer, then maybe it's time.

I agree with this 100%. Your life is your own and you should do what you want. If you no longer enjoy Drum Corps then don't waste your summer marching. I recommend that you go do something that you know you will enjoy. Is it selfish? No, it's doing what's best for you.

This doesn't mean you can't enjoy talking about drum corps. You're no less of a person for not wanting to march.

Edited by MadisonDude

Sounds a little bit like what I went thru in 1979. I was graduating that December and trying to figure out if I should live at home for a while or move out right away. The distance between college and home made things harder. The corps changed horn staff that year and because I couldn't make too many rehearsals it was like being instructed by strangers. Many times I thought I was out of my mind for staying in corps that year because I had more important things going on in my life. I stayed the whole season because I hated to break my promise but it was not easy at times. About an hour after Finals I turned in my horn and uniform without any regrets.

And remember if you do walk away for a while, hopefully you might be able to come back.