Riverside impressions

I do not understand why a show is allowed to be held at RCC. The field, of course, is beautiful since it is new artificial turf. However in adding the track to the stadium, it pushed the box about 12-15 yards off center of the field and it will be at least 2 years until the new stands are built.

I really feel that this stadium should be removed from the acceptable list until the new stands are done. This is not to say that Yamato and RCC should not be allowed a show, but they should think about the performers and audience first and find a more sutible place even if it costs a little money.

Unfortunately there is a second show at RCC this year already scheduled. I think DCI needs to step up and say here is what you need to do to put this stadium in order for the next show. If they dont want to lose income by having to rent a stadium (even last years stadium was better than RCC currently is), at the very least, they should find a way to move the judges to the 50 yard line. I know, that doesnt afford them the protection from the sun. So put up a couple large construction lifts behind the seating (they wont lose income generating seats that way) then build a frame to put up tarps for shade.

Honestly though, I think it should be relocated until the stadium is done.

THANK YOU for saying that I have had those very same thoughts for a long time now. Relocate that show to somewhere else till adequate Stands/seating have been redone at RCC. UCR? one of those local HS footballs stadiums that actually have Stands? The Walnut show at this time seems to be the only REAL venue to have a Drum Corps show in SoCal. Why Eddie West Field In Santa Ana was removed from the Consortium, i'm not sure why. OCC used to have a show as well. Those 2 are really good examples of what the criteria should be for Socal Drum Corp show Venues.

Some reples in regards to the stadium.

Last year's WCC had problems because there wasn't enough parking available at King HS or in its surrounding areas (Orange Crest).

Santa Ana - from what I heard, businesses around the area were complaining about noise.

Cerritos - asking for too much money to host a show there... again, from what I was told.

Other stadiums in RUSD... there's only Ramona High School, which lacks both parking and size. UCR's stadium is also quite small and has a high ticket price for events... again from what I'm told. Both stadiums lack a proper press box as well.

Valley View High School has been used in the past for WCC events as well, but the location tends to take a toll on attendance. And also, the school admins has a sour taste for drum corps after something that happened to their stadium in 2004, in which they blaimed BD for after they did a rehearsal there.

The Marching Tigers get a huge break for the use of Wheelock field. granted it isn't in a condition (other than the awesome new turf field) for proper competativeness, both the Marching Tigers and Yamato are doing everything possible to make the WCC a positive experience.

The only other stadium in the area I can think of though that might be suitable for drum corps is Norta Vista High School, but I have no clue what their game is.

The Marching Tigers get a huge break for the use of Wheelock field. granted it isn't in a condition (other than the awesome new turf field) for proper competativeness, both the Marching Tigers and Yamato are doing everything possible to make the WCC a positive experience.

I can appreciate the need to save money on the facility, but if you look at the number of people that couldnt get in and the money lost on those tickets...I saw at least 200 people sitting on the stairs and hills behind the stadium (200x$10=$2000), I think you could find a better facility to use. Even if you have to go 40 miles away to Orange Coast College....hmmm that would also be cooler down by the beach. For that matter there are lots of high schools in Orange County with big stadiums.

I thank the RCC Marching Tigers and Yamato for trying to make WCC a positive experience. However, right now, holding the show at RCC is not a positive experience. It is also not very accomadating to the fans or performers. Spend some money on a bigger and better location until RCC is done. You can sell more seats and if you have to, bring the price up $2 or so to help offset the additional cost. I for one, would pay more to get the show out of that venue until they finish it. It definately is not a fan friendly location and they are the people that pay the money for tickets so you can make money for your units.

Take this for what it is worth, but I think you really need to look at other options ASAP. Maybe even before WCC II....there is still time.

Edited by Just Another Sop

I'll surely pass along the review, thanks

Some reples in regards to the stadium.

Valley View High School has been used in the past for WCC events as well, but the location tends to take a toll on attendance. And also, the school admins has a sour taste for drum corps after something that happened to their stadium in 2004, in which they blaimed BD for after they did a rehearsal there.

Yet they still let SCV stay and practice there in 2005, and they are the current home for Yamato, are they not? Maybe they are not allowed to use the staduim any longer?Maybe it's just that grassy area, and the band practice field????

That's the first I've heard of a sour taste for drum corps at VVHS. The Valley View principal is a band/music guy. He was the first band director at the school. I even saw him at RCC on Sunday night. And the VV band director for the past four years, is on the BD staff.

It is Yamato's current home. I believe the principal there now is not the same guy from the past. When I was on staff with Yamato in 2004 (when the BD incident...if there even was one... occurred, Yamato was not allowed to use the stadium at all. Last year when I was watching rehearsals, Yamato was using the bands practice field behind the school.

This year... I don't know, honestly.

I do not understand why a show is allowed to be held at RCC. The field, of course, is beautiful since it is new artificial turf. However in adding the track to the stadium, it pushed the box about 12-15 yards off center of the field and it will be at least 2 years until the new stands are built.

I really feel that this stadium should be removed from the acceptable list until the new stands are done. This is not to say that Yamato and RCC should not be allowed a show, but they should think about the performers and audience first and find a more sutible place even if it costs a little money.

Unfortunately there is a second show at RCC this year already scheduled. I think DCI needs to step up and say here is what you need to do to put this stadium in order for the next show. If they dont want to lose income by having to rent a stadium (even last years stadium was better than RCC currently is), at the very least, they should find a way to move the judges to the 50 yard line. I know, that doesnt afford them the protection from the sun. So put up a couple large construction lifts behind the seating (they wont lose income generating seats that way) then build a frame to put up tarps for shade.

Honestly though, I think it should be relocated until the stadium is done.

I can appreciate the need to save money on the facility, but if you look at the number of people that couldnt get in and the money lost on those tickets...I saw at least 200 people sitting on the stairs and hills behind the stadium (200x$10=$2000), I think you could find a better facility to use. Even if you have to go 40 miles away to Orange Coast College....hmmm that would also be cooler down by the beach. For that matter there are lots of high schools in Orange County with big stadiums.

I thank the RCC Marching Tigers and Yamato for trying to make WCC a positive experience. However, right now, holding the show at RCC is not a positive experience. It is also not very accomadating to the fans or performers. Spend some money on a bigger and better location until RCC is done. You can sell more seats and if you have to, bring the price up $2 or so to help offset the additional cost. I for one, would pay more to get the show out of that venue until they finish it. It definately is not a fan friendly location and they are the people that pay the money for tickets so you can make money for your units.

Take this for what it is worth, but I think you really need to look at other options ASAP. Maybe even before WCC II....there is still time.

^OO^ Reading these two posts, I must say I agree. Possibly too late for this season, but I appreciate Bari Benzo agreeing to pass along these dissatisfied reviews of the facility. Hopefully there can be a positive resolve to deal with it and the next WCC will be a great show...no matter where it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta say, our High school hosts a show there in sept every year, My son marched at RCC and we have been to numerous DCI shows there over the years (usually 2 a season) and this is the worst experience I have ever had. This was the only time we could let my dad see his grandson march this year as Impulse decided not to hold the annual Fan Appreciation day this year.

We paid over $100 for all of us to see this show, we picked good seats but ended on the 10 yard line anyway. And..... paid full price for some of us to sit on the field, on the field, on a metal bench pulled over at the last minute, because there is no place to get a wheelchair in the stands, and not no place in front of the stands, its gone. We had to purchase special tickets, stand in 2 separate lines and ended up sitting in the field.

There are locations in SoCal, better be or next year we will have serious problems. MSAC (Walnut show) is a good location, the show normally in Glendora has a good location, Santa Ana sucks as do several others, but there are numerous community colleges, literally dozens of colleges and universities and etc in this area.

One last comment, will shows stop giving out drinks from bottles in paper cups and suck it up to give out cans.

Dad

Edited by Impulsivedad