Riverside impressions

:P Well, I'm a old fart and seems that most of the shows don't thrill me like they used to but I still love the activity. This review will be short, and give more impressions of the corps than a detailed review. I've been part of the activity since 72 with gaps as life dictated. Okay, here goes.

First a impression on the scores, the spreads are right on but the scores are about 2-3 points too high on this night.

Side Note: Only full standing ovation was given to Academy. Sorry but BD and SCV got Standing O's but not everyone jumped up like they did for Academy.

My seats (by reading the small print on the DCI site) were great, they redid the stadium and pushed the field about 20 yards west, so my Seats in Section 4 was on the 45 yard line where as in the past these seats would of been on the 25-30 yard line....I imagine those in sec. 2-3 who thought they were still on the 50 were miffed...:)

Weather....was hot and freaking humid to this dry desert rat....had to be miserable on the corps....

on with the impressions:

Dream Senior, Better than last year....like the Uniforms, some good licks here and there, some of the soloists were off but good job overall for this early in the season for them....good effort and enjoyable show.

Jester: Small but enjoyable, they had think 10 horns for most of the show until one sidelined (assuming they hadn't finished the drill) The show compared to what the staff gave them last year was 1000 times better and the kids actually were enjoying themselves. They worked hard and had some nice individual brass moments. Hopefully they can grow this corps.

Mystical: Still one of the best looking uniforms on the field. They performed well for this time of year, the members looked to be enjoying themselves. They have good technique, good field coverage and lots of exposure on the drums and decent tuning of the percussion. Should be very enjoyable by Madison.

Hawthorne Gold: Good performance by the kids but overall the product with brass colored horns and black uni's with gold piping didin't make alot of visual impressions. If they can play with more emotion and get some "wow" visually the show should progress nicely.

Impulse: Smaller than last year, this years show right now doesn't do it for me....seemed very imcomplete and the arrangements had a few sparks here and there where the "fun" came thru but majority of the show seemed to be very tentative. The kids gave a good solid performance of what they had to work with hopefully they will get the show finished and add the "fun" back in by Madison.

The Academy - WOW....I would of loved to see what they would of scored on Div Sheets.... They Deserved the score they got on the II sheets, guard was large and once clean will certainly be the frosting on this show. The percusssion was solid for this time of year, lots of dirt to clean in the drill. The horn line was on fire....lots of licks, double tonguing, runs, cords, melodies...this show flowed from start to finish. Once they clean I really don't think the East Coast Div II big boys will catch them.

Esperanza, Lots of glocks :) smaller than last year....this years show just seems to lack the "ooph" factor Good sections all around, guard dominated the show, but wasn't where they used to be in terms of execution. Kids performed well for june....lots to be done before Madison.

Pacific Crest - This year is certainly more straight forward Drum Corps Show.....Guard Uniforms set the mood they werre fairly clean but still alot to fix and perform better. Brass sounded big and full tonight, altho some lower and higher voice issues here and there...they should do well in Madison

Mandrin's: Loved the old uniforms, new uniforms are very sanitized...kinda of a burnt orange top with a bronze metallic stripe on the chest....one thing positive on the new uniform...under the lights they looked and stood out very nicely on the field....down site....alot of the dirt was more visable. Horns had a nice sound and good impacts throughtout the show. Show itself left alot to be desired compared to other mandrin shows...didn't see any of that "innovative" thinking they usually have in this years show.

Blue Knights: Big, Loud, and you know they are on the field to perform. Unfortuneately to me at least the entire show on the horn book, just seemed to be fanfares, runs, accelerations, endings and park and blows.....I really can't recall any lasting melodies in this show. Drill featured lots of body movements and good field coverage, drums need to clean but seemed to have the talent to surprise a few down the road.

SCV - Well I'll go against all the hype here, I don't see this as being anywhere near a championship show. This is a very good corps, and talent is there but they just don't see to have the "it" factor, but I'll reserve judgement until san antonio, Drill to me (seating low) I'll just say that they missed alot of sets, most of the straight lines weren't, guard had issued all show. Horn line had power, and talent just not a winning horn book...could be some rewrites coming. SCV could stay where they finished last year....there isn't "magic" here.....but think 8-5 is where they'' end up

BD - Okay, they came to play tonight....they cover the field like I really never recall a BD corps doing before. The show itself, I want to say if they "tell a story" a little better will be an fan favorite by Madison, there are parts you don't get until you see the flags with fish bones, horses heads etc.... drums are tight, horns were cooking but even at that they had alot of dirt out there, show was performed well.....ending needs something......

SCORES.....I think all the scores were about 1-2 points to high.....BD in my opinion was 78-79 for what its worth....

Can't wait until DCI comes west next year.

*The Above Is My Old Opinion.....take it with a grain of salt....:)

Well, even an "old school" review is better than none at all.

so where exactly were the judges? I'm assuming because of the shift in field, they weren't in the press box?

so where exactly were the judges? I'm assuming because of the shift in field, they weren't in the press box?

The Judges were...on top off the press box, on the stairs to the press box, and yes in the press box.

It made for a very fun time to put the horns to the box.

Reminded me of Santa Barbara HS just at a difeerent angle.

I do not understand why a show is allowed to be held at RCC. The field, of course, is beautiful since it is new artificial turf. However in adding the track to the stadium, it pushed the box about 12-15 yards off center of the field and it will be at least 2 years until the new stands are built.

I really feel that this stadium should be removed from the acceptable list until the new stands are done. This is not to say that Yamato and RCC should not be allowed a show, but they should think about the performers and audience first and find a more sutible place even if it costs a little money.

Unfortunately there is a second show at RCC this year already scheduled. I think DCI needs to step up and say here is what you need to do to put this stadium in order for the next show. If they dont want to lose income by having to rent a stadium (even last years stadium was better than RCC currently is), at the very least, they should find a way to move the judges to the 50 yard line. I know, that doesnt afford them the protection from the sun. So put up a couple large construction lifts behind the seating (they wont lose income generating seats that way) then build a frame to put up tarps for shade.

Honestly though, I think it should be relocated until the stadium is done.

I do not understand why a show is allowed to be held at RCC. The field, of course, is beautiful since it is new artificial turf. However in adding the track to the stadium, it pushed the box about 12-15 yards off center of the field and it will be at least 2 years until the new stands are built.

I really feel that this stadium should be removed from the acceptable list until the new stands are done. This is not to say that Yamato and RCC should not be allowed a show, but they should think about the performers and audience first and find a more sutible place even if it costs a little money.

Unfortunately there is a second show at RCC this year already scheduled. I think DCI needs to step up and say here is what you need to do to put this stadium in order for the next show. If they dont want to lose income by having to rent a stadium (even last years stadium was better than RCC currently is), at the very least, they should find a way to move the judges to the 50 yard line. I know, that doesnt afford them the protection from the sun. So put up a couple large construction lifts behind the seating (they wont lose income generating seats that way) then build a frame to put up tarps for shade.

Honestly though, I think it should be relocated until the stadium is done.

RCC is really not a great place for a show right now. The field was great, but the stands are way too small. They were about 3/4 full when we (Dream) went on. Then with the box offset from the 50, I caught myself several times point my horn in the wrong direction (and I'd imagine there were many other times I didn't notice). The crowd respose was great though. It was nice to see so many people showed up early enough to see us. I'll just have to remember when we go back out there in a couple weeks to oil my valves before before heading to the field. I've never had all three valves stick in a show before. :laugh:

I agree, they should move the show. I liked last year's site better too. But they still need something bigger for this show, if their stadium isn't going to be ready for next year.

When we got there it was sold out, and they only had seats on the other side of the stadium. A large group of people walked away without tickets in front of us. We bought seats for $10. each, instead of the usual $15. we intended to buy them for, and found a way to the good side to watch Vanguard, and BD, when the time came. They lost a lot of money because people watched the show from the stairs, or the fence or wherever they could find a little window on the 'right' side of the field. And because I was on the other side, I never bought a program, either. Dang, I forgot about that! I wanted one too!