Earplugs

BD Mello Major 05

I got fitted for custom earplugs in the army band. I can't really say that they were much. if any different that the standard foam ones. Granted that half my term was up before I got fitted. If you must have some then always have some, even if it's the lawnmower foam ones. I've gotten old enough, that I've just accepted that I'm getting deaf. And several of my drill seargents in basic felt the same way, as they didn't use any ear protection, even at the M-60 range (machine gun). They justified it by the enemy "charlie" is not gonna give you time to dawn protection, so why use it. It doesn't accurately portray real time / events.

Given a choice, some protection is always better than none. I've been in several work environments, that could have benefitted from protection. And have known individuals that worked in said environments that could have used protection. But like the army, very few employers compensate for hearing loss these days. It's your ears, protect them, as nobody else will do that for you.

Yeah, if you have any doubt at all- just get something. Even the cheapest kinds will remove at least 15 dB if not more.

I lost some of my upper range in my right ear from Aluminum milling machines (8 years of it). Try to imagine putting a price on being able to hear some screeching sopranos at a really good drum corps show.

You can't.

You can get regular (non fitted) musicians earplugs at any Guitar Center. I use a pair I bought there once, they worked perfectly for playing marimba in a very live small room at my school (concrete walls, no sound absorbers).

The two big things to look for are

1. custom molded plugs

and

2. flat response

the better the plugs fit, the more the occlusion effect is avoided. In other words your own playing doesn't sound weird to you.

the flat response sounds obvious, but normal earplugs block primarily high frequencies which cuts down on clarity. clarity in music is good. flat respone earplugs provide more of that.

this company makes something like what i would use:

http://www.earinc.com/p2-specialty-musician-filt.php

you get your ear canals molded (audiologist), you send them the molds, they send you earplugs. some other companies will send you a molding kit.

this particular pair is kind of expensive, but they give you an idea of what to look for when shopping around. Even if you do go with these remember: you only get one set of ears.

A good company for this stuff is Etymotic. They've got custom ear mold plugs with changeable buttons that allow you to customize the attenuation and a network of doctors who will take the molds for you. I will be getting those someday in the future, but for now I use the er-20 high fidelity earplugs for everyday use. They're as flat as you can get without spending the big bucks on custom plugs, are comfortable, come with a neato carrying case, are only about 12 bucks, last a long time, and work really really well (for me at least).

www.etymotic.com

I'm going into recording and production so at 19 I'm already concerned with protecting my hearing. I work at a sports arena and it often gets stupidly loud in the bowl. I use the er-20's and I can still make out what people are saying to me while blocking out the insanity.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for earplugs that are best for brass playing?

Others on the board have given you excellend suggestions. I'm sure your doctor can refer you to an audiologist in your area where they can custom fit your attenuated ear plugs. They squirt a foam into your ear and let it harden before they pull them out and send them off to be molded into plastic and fit for the attenuated filters. You can choose your decibal reduction (10db, 15db, 20 db, etc.). I prefer the custom molded ear plugs for comfort. Without the special fittings, I would pull out all other ear plugs because they were uncomfortable and blocked sounds where I could not understand anyone. These specialty ear plugs cost around $100.

BT

Edited by Brent

• 3 weeks later...

GoodMorning! DCP All corps are responsible for quickening the listening ear in the mist of complaints.

CoolSite:In that www.geocities.com/vienna/3941/earplugs.htm and www.etymotic.com

giveearinthespiritTerrance

Edited by Terrance I.McGee