Greatest Show on Earth - July 1 - Bridgeport, CT

Ask Kenton Clark. He basically runs the BHOF. I heard he's been calling the shots as to booking the show.

Jim the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We are such a small community and there are not a lot of local shows..Help each other out don't book against one another. No problem with BHOF. Just think of the activity as a whole and work with one another. Oh well see you in Dover.

Mike Ryan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a perfect example Liz that show bombed . . .

i'm probably not going to make a whole bunch of new friends with this but as i said earlier in the week, last year i made my thoughts on this particular show very well known on the boards. i didn't have personal knowledge of the amount of people in the stands for last year's Bridgeport show and could only go by the lack of turnout in LI, which solidified my opinion then that running two conflicting local shows on the same date was a bad idea. now after seeing a huge amount of empty seats in Bridgeport last evening, probably much to the chagrin of my corps, i will again say this shouldn't be happening. i'm sorry but the Barnum Fest Committee has hurt the great legacy and tradition of Champions on Parade by making it an exhibition and not a competition. even when they switched the format to DCI for a few years it was still a competition and very well attended.

the audience that was there last night was more than appreciative of the performances. please don't misunderstand me. they were wonderful. :)

i had the chance to talk to people who performed afterwards and one thing we all were in agreement on was that it just doesn't seem like the Barnum Fest being out on the field, looking up and seeing a huge amount empty seats. :(

the other thing i heard from some people who were spectators who went by the Barnum Festival's website was they were confused. some wondered why the Caballero competitive corps wasn't there. :wall: they WERE advertised as being there. (Bridgeport has always a very Caballero crowd, even if Hurcs are the more local corps.) i realize that the advertisment at the top of this page states it is the Caballaros Alumni, but if you click on THIS Barnum Festival link, you will see why the local spectators who don't follow drum corps the way we drum corps nuts do were confused. <**> the local spectators i spoke with also miss all the competitive corps being around to perform in the parade the following day. sure, the Hurcs, PCP, CT Alumni, etc. still march in it. but just 10 years ago you had many of the great names in both DCI and DCA corps march it. as a performer and a spectator it was incredible to see the Blue Devils warming up in Seaside Park in one place, the Cadets of Bergen County in another, the Cabs, Bush, etc. the faces and names may have changed over the years, but from everything i heard last night, the locals' love of seeing good, COMPETITIVE drum corps hasn't.

PLEASE Barnum Festival Committee, consider returning Champions on Parade to its former competitive status. otherwise i fear that sooner, rather than later, this show will just be another one of many former shows that is mentioned the history books. :(

i'm sorry if this post offends anyone, especially members or management of my current corps.

the audience that was there last night was more than appreciative of the performances. please don't misunderstand me. they were wonderful. :)

Liz,

I agree that a competition might bring more fans. So, how were the Bridgemen? And, what was the audience reaction to them?

Jim

it seemed that they liked the performance. there were standing O's. :D we played and spun our collective hearts out for them. and lastly, our staff seemed happy with the performance. another one in the books, 3 left to go. B)

Liz,

I agree that a competition might bring more fans. So, how were the Bridgemen? And, what was the audience reaction to them?

Jim

If I may add to Liz's reply...

The performance of the Bridgemen was EXCELLENT! All members of the corps, and staff were VERY, VERY pleased with the efforts of our members!

The audience reaction was absolutely PHENOMENAL, and most appreciative!!!

We had a wonderful time performing, and the audience appeared to enjoy our show as much as we did!

The crowd was slightly smaller than it was when I was last there at the Barnum Festival, ('89), but it was loud, and very receptive! There were still quite a few people in attendance.

Overall, it was a GREAT show, and a great night of drum corps!!!

JJ

I'm kind of confused as to why there would be a show being advertised on here that conflicts with a DCA show in the same area... I hope everyone has a great time and all but shouldn't the Drum corps activity be supporting one show...If it gets to spread we wind up competing for the same audience and that doesn't make a whole lot of sence to me.

Mike Ryan

Mike,

I alluded to the same issue a few months back, on another thread. I find it very disturbing that two drum corps shows are scheduled within the same geographical area, (basically), on the same date. The activity has already shrunk to an even smaller "sub-culture" than that which existed twenty years ago, and I don't understand why shows haven't been scheduled on different dates. It's not like there aren't enough "open dates, and weekends to schedule drum corps shows. Back in the day, we had a show EVERY weekend, but, now, it appears that there are a lot more open weekends, without ANY local drum corps shows.

What a shame.

A similar scenario exists in less than two weeks, on July 15th, when the Cabs' Grand Prix will be held in Clifton, and the Jersey Surf will hold their own show, down in Wildwood. Although I am very excited about performing in Wildwood at the Surf show, (1st time for me, performing in Wildwood with the Bridgemen, since 1980!), I know that I am also very disappointed that I will not be able to attend the Grand Prix! It's a GREAT show, and it provides a great opportunity to see many old, and dear friends!!!

Perhaps some better communication between corps is necessary. I'm certain that with more open, (and flexible) lines of communication, the occurence of "local" shows being held on the same date might be avoided. All local drum corps need to work together to keep our activity alive, and successful, otherwise, there could be an even greater decline in participation, from both audience, and member perspectives.

Edited by overthehillDM

If I may add to Liz's reply...

The performance of the Bridgemen was EXCELLENT! All members of the corps, and staff were VERY, VERY pleased with the efforts of our members!

The audience reaction was absolutely PHENOMENAL, and most appreciative!!!

We had a wonderful time performing, and the audience appeared to enjoy our show as much as we did!

The crowd was slightly smaller than it was when I was last there at the Barnum Festival, ('89), but it was loud, and very receptive! There were still quite a few people in attendance.

Overall, it was a GREAT show, and a great night of drum corps!!!

JJ

I had a freaking blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Liz. no worries about what you said. stop thinking that your not part of the gang.. the next show and the one after that...!!!!!! your a Bayonne hottie in the CG. and part of the family. so there :P

:blink: you so don't get what my commentary was about if that is what you think Jeff. :laugh: