Greatest Show on Earth - July 1 - Bridgeport, CT

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seemed that they liked the performance. there were standing O's. :D we played and spun our collective hearts out for them. and lastly, our staff seemed happy with the performance. another one in the books, 3 left to go. B)

"Played & Spun":

Indeed you did. A really great night of drum corps, from the entrance of the newly minted PAL Buccaneers to the final FFFF blast from the hometown Park City Pride. Connecticut Royal Lancers alumni & star of TV sitcom "Cheers" John Ratzenberger got the evening off to a great start with his monolog. The very knowledgeable "Ace" Holleran handled the microphone.

Many many members of the BHOF classes of 2005/6 sitting in with Larry Kerchners "Music Express". Teriffic solo work by Bob Gaff, Johnny "Grass", Kenton Clark, Frank "TopSop" Dorrtie, "Murph", and Ruben Ariola. Loved "Cherokee".

Scout House took us back to Dream Contests of long long ago with that "Starting Line" fanfare and 'Waltzing Matilda'. HUGE drum section. Spartans had the "DCI Look" in drill and carriage. Caballeros Alumni with Jimmy Russo on the podium, their great soprano soloist and the "Three Amigos" did a fine job an an almost all new program.

"St Andrews" took us back to the great years of the Bridgemen with a program that really entertained. Loved the "Shuffle" and the "All Fall Down" stunt at the ending. Reprise of "Battle Hymm" got the crowd up out of their seats one last time for the "Bananas".

Hometown Park City Pride closed the show with a truly great performance. Great drum feature in mid program, and terriffic rifle and flag work througout. Surprise "Charge to the Stands" after the closer earned another (Well deserved) "Standing O".

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

It truly was a great show. Bigger Scout House on Canada Day. Alliance brass soooo sweet. Spartans nice 'n clean for second show of season. With props to my PCP buddies aside (yes, they are better every year), the Bridgemen absolutely rocked. And only their second performance! Massive, ballsy, GE-laden fun from the Jordanaires. Try to see this corps.

On the other hand, I am not happy with the only Barnum show being an all-alumni event. We need a competition in the Park City. PCP will be doing their second annual DCI II-III event on 7/29; it was a really nice event last year. But this ain't enough, what with a fabulous stadium and a built-in audience.

I will step on toes here, and probably p*ss a bunch of people off. Watch the feathers fly, dudes. I have already spoken to Bridgeport and Barnum people on this. My first volley will be a letter to Mayor Fabrizi, the Barnum folks and Gil Silva. I figure after over 15 years of volunteering for the BF I have some small right to vent -- and provide solutions. Stay tuned.

On the alumni thread, I have been asked by DCA to emcee the Rochester alumni show, which will be my privelege for the third straight year. Looking forward to it.

Ace Holleran

thank you so much Ace!!! :lol::blink::lol:

It truly was a great show. Bigger Scout House on Canada Day. Alliance brass soooo sweet. Spartans nice 'n clean for second show of season. With props to my PCP buddies aside (yes, they are better every year), the Bridgemen absolutely rocked. And only their second performance! Massive, ballsy, GE-laden fun from the Jordanaires. Try to see this corps.

On the other hand, I am not happy with the only Barnum show being an all-alumni event. We need a competition in the Park City. PCP will be doing their second annual DCI II-III event on 7/29; it was a really nice event last year. But this ain't enough, what with a fabulous stadium and a built-in audience.

I will step on toes here, and probably p*ss a bunch of people off. Watch the feathers fly, dudes. I have already spoken to Bridgeport and Barnum people on this. My first volley will be a letter to Mayor Fabrizi, the Barnum folks and Gil Silva. I figure after over 15 years of volunteering for the BF I have some small right to vent -- and provide solutions. Stay tuned.

On the alumni thread, I have been asked by DCA to emcee the Rochester alumni show, which will be my privelege for the third straight year. Looking forward to it.

Ace Holleran

Hey Ace,

So since you were there for ALL of the performances at the Barnum Festival, why not give us a review???

Thanks,

A similar scenario exists in less than two weeks, on July 15th, when the Cabs' Grand Prix will be held in Clifton, and the Jersey Surf will hold their own show, down in Wildwood. Although I am very excited about performing in Wildwood at the Surf show, (1st time for me, performing in Wildwood with the Bridgemen, since 1980!), I know that I am also very disappointed that I will not be able to attend the Grand Prix! It's a GREAT show, and it provides a great opportunity to see many old, and dear friends!!!

Perhaps some better communication between corps is necessary. I'm certain that with more open, (and flexible) lines of communication, the occurence of "local" shows being held on the same date might be avoided. All local drum corps need to work together to keep our activity alive, and successful, otherwise, there could be an even greater decline in participation, from both audience, and member perspectives.

Just a guess...but maybe the Saturday/Sunday Wildwood/Wayne combined weekend of div II/III shows in NJ is what drives the DCI calendar-makers. I would doubt they take DCA into consideration.

I heard a couple of years back the BF Committee decided to drop the competitive Champions on Parade for an alumni show largely because they felt corps weren't ready, and therefore fans weren't getting their money's worth.

I also heard there was a drum corps person on that committee who agreed with that position.

Is this urban legend, or is it true?

The Barnum was a one of a kind contest, and it breaks my heart to have to choose between Skyliner show in Dover and ANY Champions on Parade show in Bridgeport, be it alumni or competition corps.

I grew up in Ct., and the Barnum is in my blood.

Mark Riley

To accede to the great Ponzo....

Cabs smaller than before, but still awesome, with an almost all-new show, including killer Vesti la Giubba. Still doing full drill. Brumpitatious indeed. Now, pleeze bring back Cherry Pink (or Cha-Cha or Siboney or Les Toreadors) for an encore.

Yes, Barnum poobahs killed the show because of the poor performances in 2004.

To accede to the great Ponzo....

Cabs smaller than before, but still awesome, with an almost all-new show, including killer Vesti la Giubba. Still doing full drill. Brumpitatious indeed. Now, pleeze bring back Cherry Pink (or Cha-Cha or Siboney or Les Toreadors) for an encore.

Yes, Barnum poobahs killed the show because of the poor performances in 2004.

Thanks for the kind words on your review....but I was actually hoping for a FULL review of all the corps in the show....since I was not able to see everyone (par usual) because we usually go on so late. I always like to hear how well my co-horts in the other corps made out with their performances!!!

Anyone else want to chime in and give their opinions???

(I would LOVE to hear what Mr. John Ratzenberg (if that is how you spell his name) of "Cheers" fame thought of the show and all of the corps who performed!!!)