Someone steals from the Vanguard

I cannot come up with words describing how I feel here...

and no emoticon on here is sufficient either

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw the library at her. Additionally, make her stand in front of all three corps and admit to doing what she did(assuming that she is indeed guilty, which it certainly sounds like she is).

Stealing is pathetic period. But to steal that much from a YOUTH ORGANIZATION is definitely worthy of the stiffest penalty allowed by law.

Here, Here!!!! I completely agree. She should be made to maintain fulltime employment, and they should garnish 50% of her proceeds to help the corps for the next 15 years+

I worked bingo almost every Tuesday from the December 04 time frame to May or June of 05 for Vanguard. Towards the end of my volunteering (I sold flash - similar to scratcher tickets, paper to play the games on, and verified the winners) they changed the way they counted the flash tickets sold. Before, the flash sellers were just given tickets to sell and in a way it was an on your honor system (who would think that a Vanguard volunteer would steal from Vanguard). Once it changed, it became more accountable and all floor flash runners would have to have their ticket sales, well, in a sense, verified before they left. Its a little complicated to say. Most of the people working bingo were related to Vanguard, either marching members, alumni, or parents of marching members. Though, you would not be surprised to see some Renegades, high school band kids, or even some college sorority and fraternity members there (and this goes for social greek along with music greek). But, I never would have guessed that the lady involved in this case would do this. But, you just never know. :(

:stunned:

Where there is a will, there is a way... Just like in any business, the people you need to keep your eye on the most is the folks you think you can trust. In my job as a liquor investigator over a dozen years in a large city, I have been in thousands (and I'm not making that number up) of restaurants and bars and the number one concern of the owners time and time again is employee theft. If nothing else, this should be a wake up call to every corps fundraising programs and how they are monitored.

Come on now . . . this is America & in America you're innocent until proven guilty.

I did the math.

The article states $50,000 is missing over the 10 year period she was in charge. That makes $5,000 a year.

Breaking it down further . . . the bingo operation lost approximately $416 per month.

During each month there were 4 bingo games each week. (4 games per week x 4 weeks per month = 16)

Divide the $416 into 16 games . . . that comes out to $26.00 per game that cannot be accounted for.

Having both played and worked bingo, I can tell you thounsands upon thousands of dollars change hands. The loss of $26 over the course of the evening, while unacceptable, is understandable in that nobody is perfect and there's any number of imperfect individuals with their fingers in the pot.

This woman may only be guilty of bad bookkeeping. It'll be an interesting story to follow.

and being caught on video putting cash in her pockets