My major gripe with the Madison Scouts 2006 show

ummmm...I found the arrangements quite similar...considering I've only listened to the APD twice and your band once...and am relatively unfamiliar with the piece altogether...but I fail to see what you're on about here. Holler at Sal tho and see if you can run your band out to practice soon so they can "show the Scouts how it's done, yo"....kind of a "You Got Served", drum corps style. :P

I really am at a loss for what you're talking about altogether...how do these two equate? are you saying the arrangement is un-drum-corps-like? or that they sound like woodwinds? sorry...very confused here... :blink:

I'm saying, adding woodwinds to drum corps would significantly change the entire sound of the activity and wouldn't even resemble what it is now.

Thank God the Bando's have figured out Drum and Bugle corps. Go tell Sal and te Scouts to scrap the show and to give up. Take your band and stat competing and see if you can fill the spot. I'm sure you are up to the task. Anyone who says Bando's do not degrade DC and only look the positives should read this and most other threads. I'm done fighting. I am now a Bando. I will go and join the Salvation Army Band and then I will have the same perspecive as the BANDO NATION!!!

RF the Bando

Thank God the Bando's have figured out Drum and Bugle corps. Go tell Sal and te Scouts to scrap the show and to give up. Take your band and stat competing and see if you can fill the spot. I'm sure you are up to the task. Anyone who says Bando's do not degrade DC and only look the positives should read this and most other threads. I'm done fighting. I am now a Bando. I will go and join the Salvation Army Band and then I will have the same perspecive as the BANDO NATION!!!

RF the Bando

Whoa there, I was just giving you guys a recording of an arrangement truer to the original piece...chill out.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Some of you guys are so full of yourselves. Read the post. The guy was just offering a different arrangement of the piece for your listening pleasure. He was not saying that his band was playing it better. Just because something comes from a band doesn't automatically make it suck. There are several high school bands that are as good if not better than some Div. 1 drum corps. If that is offensive to you, too bad. DCI is not the end all be all of marching music. I love it as much as the next guy, but not as blindly as some.

I will go and join the Salvation Army Band.

Some of the Salvation Army musicians are very good. :) Could do worse.

Some of you guys are so full of yourselves. Read the post. The guy was just offering a different arrangement of the piece for your listening pleasure. He was not saying that his band was playing it better. Just because something comes from a band doesn't automatically make it suck. There are several high school bands that are as good if not better than some Div. 1 drum corps. If that is offensive to you, too bad. DCI is not the end all be all of marching music. I love it as much as the next guy, but not as blindly as some.

No, not that my band was playing it better, at all. The ability of the Madison Scouts is lightyears ahead of any high school band in the country. There were clear intonation and other issues in that clip, I was just offering an arrangement closer to the original to show that Scouts could be doing so much more with this piece than they are now. Their arrangment makes it much less melodic and musical...and that's never good.

Edited by Hrothgar15

No, not that my band was playing it better, at all. The ability of the Madison Scouts is lightyears ahead of any high school band in the country. There were clear intonation and other issues in that clip, I was just offering an arrangement closer to the original to show that Scouts could be doing so much more with this piece than they are now. Their arrangment makes it much less melodic and musical...and that's never good.

I'm still not feelin you here...the arrangements sounded very similar to me. Granted, I didn't go through and listen to it note for note, but I find the ballad to be quite musical and as nice as anything the Scouts have done since about '95 (ballad-wise). *shrugs* Guess I'm missing the point...

• 4 weeks later...

What a horrible recording and arangment. It doesn't sound anything like the original piece. Rhythms are overly simplified and the scoring is heavy handed. At least the Scouts are sticking to the composers intent, using a soloist and ethnic percussion. In fact, its almost a direct lift (minus the oboe of course)