Hand Signals

CrownSoprano2000

I'm currently writing the 2006 hornline guide for my band. In it I plan to include a few warmup chords and techniques. I like warming up hornlines by signaling what I want, rather than yelling over them what to do next.

Any suggestions on appropriate hand signals for different chords?

I was thinking index finger up for Bb unison

Thumb and pinky for open 5th

Index and pinky (like hook 'em horns) for the 5th to move down and make a P4.

4 fingers for a major 7th chord built on the raised 5th

5 fingers for the major chord built on the lowered 7th scale degree

? for the pick a note

etc...

Any thoughts, any good references?

I'm currently writing the 2006 hornline guide for my band. In it I plan to include a few warmup chords and techniques. I like warming up hornlines by signaling what I want, rather than yelling over them what to do next.

Any suggestions on appropriate hand signals for different chords?

I was thinking index finger up for Bb unison

Thumb and pinky for open 5th

Index and pinky (like hook 'em horns) for the 5th to move down and make a P4.

4 fingers for a major 7th chord built on the raised 5th

5 fingers for the major chord built on the lowered 7th scale degree

? for the pick a note

etc...

Any thoughts, any good references?

If you use a Bb as your normal start chord then use 8 fingers. To drop to a 7th use your wrist and finger to point down, to go up to the full Bb do the opposite. Use the same method for your starting points like 7 fingers if starting with a major 7th. And both hands sweeping for volume from low to high(FFF) or high to low for(ppp). Very simple, but it works. Just a thought.

Edited by Jimisback

You could talk to any recent BD member or Alumni or you could watch the Dynasty of Brass DVD or you could e-mail Wayne Downey and ask him. I learned them 2 years ago from a BD ageout 02 when we taught a div. III line together but I have since forgotten all of them.

If you are interested in the BD signals, you could watch some videos of them warming up in the lot. They may have some on Blue View or Google Video or some place like that. I have seen some where they show whoever is conducting. Hope that helps, at least the pick a note is on there.

The hands signals you use don't matter a bit, just as long as everyone knows what they mean and can see what you're doing.

I was really just wondering about different exercises. I have seen all of the BD warmup videos, I just wanted some insider feedback. I think I will order the Dynasty of Brass DVD too.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback!

Edited by CrownSoprano2000

Just a note...the Dynasty of Brass DVD, which is a MUST HAVE for any serious brass instructor, does NOT include the hand signals. You can see some fleeting glimpses of them, but there's no chart or guide to them.

I constructed my own chart based on how it was done when I was at BD, and some changes and additions I have made over the years.

Edited by Kamarag

I'm basically doing just a few simple things with my group. Nothing too over their head.

You could try assigning each part (1sts, 2nds, 3rds) different notes, and then with one hand signify which part you want to change, then with your other hand point the direction of the note change (but signify half/whole step).

I'm basically doing just a few simple things with my group. Nothing too over their head.

That's always a good start.

At Upper Darby HS they will know about 18 chords and 5-6 progressions, all on hand signals. Currently, they know about half of that (hey, it's only early July). The line had a good fundamental basis when I took over as caption head, so I didn't hesitate to throw a lot at them.

I use the same stuff I use for corps, just transposed to Bb (with a few revoicings, and added woodwinds).