"Pre-shows"

With the Bluecoats I got the feeling that it is a repeating pit part that can be adapted so that they can just kinda cut it off when they get the cue from the announcer

One thing I am wondering, if when the announcer asks, are the judges ready, and for some reason the judges aren't ready, does the corps then stop the pre-show, or do they keep going, without the first part of their show being judged? I mean, some of the pre show warmup becomes the show without a break in between.

I have seen a couple of shows over the past 20 years where for some reason one or more of the judges aren't ready when asked.

Perhaps asking the judges is more ceremonial than practical, nowadays. I mean, if something was going wrong, they would probably realize it before the announcement was even made. And what's the judge gonna do?

Judges are you ready?

No, just give us ONE second ok?

*Corps keeps going*

Drummajorsblahblabisurcorred-

BAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Or horror situation 2:

Judges are you ready?

Nope...Just hold tight and we'll be right there...lost our pencils.

*Corps keeps going*

DrumYOUmajUNorLOCKsblahbTHIlblaSdfjaDoblahOORreadyWITH THE KEY OF IMAGINATION...

I think the flying start can be effective. I loved that the Cadets actually did something meaningful with Twisted Nerve. When it's just the pit playing random notes over and over to fill the air with sound, it becomes just a bit pointless...