"Pre-shows"

I've seen the Bluecoats a couple of times this year - really great show. And, while I've seen "pre-shows" before, theirs has me wondering a bit about the logistics. Does anyone know:

1. How does the announcer know when to say "take the field"? Does the corps tip him off?

2. What happens if the announcer misses the timing? How much of what was originally going to be "show" then becomes "pre-show"?

3. Is "pre-show" judged at all? Or does the judging start when the announcer says, "take the field"?

Hopkins would cue the announcer...I could make out him doing that with Brandt Crocker last summer

And I don't think the judges can do anything until they hear "competition"

Hopkins would cue the announcer...I could make out him doing that with Brandt Crocker last summer

The announcer should be watching the timing/penalties judge, the chief judge, and the drum major. Each corps has a certain time period (3-4 minutes) to set up on the field and warm up before their performance. When there is one minute remaining, signaled by the timing/penalties judge, the announcer should give the official "on the field" announcement and ask if the judges are ready. Once the chief judge signals yes, the announcer then asks the drum major(s) if the corps is ready. This is usually affirmed with the DM salute, which cues the announcer to give the "you may take the field" announcement. If the corps is doing a warm-up leading into the show, judging and show timing begin immediately after the word "competition". Otherwise, judging and timing begins with the first note of the show.

The announcer should be watching the timing/penalties judge, the chief judge, and the drum major. Each corps has a certain time period (3-4 minutes) to set up on the field and warm up before their performance. When there is one minute remaining, signaled by the timing/penalties judge, the announcer should give the official "on the field" announcement and ask if the judges are ready. Once the chief judge signals yes, the announcer then asks the drum major(s) if the corps is ready. This is usually affirmed with the DM salute, which cues the announcer to give the "you may take the field" announcement. If the corps is doing a warm-up leading into the show, judging and show timing begin immediately after the word "competition". Otherwise, judging and timing begins with the first note of the show.

You are correct . The annoucer is watching the T&P judge. And the corps know when the one minute mark is .Due to TV timing is very tight and is solely in the hands of the 2 people mentioned.

It's just yet another gimmick taken from the WGI playbook.

Right, because when the Cadets did in '89 it was SUCH a gimmick... <**>

When I first read that, I thought you were saying that Hopkins was making out with Brandt Crocker. :sshh:

:lolhit: