How many fellow drill writers here?

I'm just curious...

I know this is a busy time of the year for all of us, and was wondering just how many drill writers there are out there on DCP.

I'm not talking about a one-shot-and-done type of drill writer (Example: the band director who writes his own school's drill), but rather, the drill writers who write for more than 1 school or organization, and do so for money...

I'm writing for only four bands this year (so far, at least...you never know when someone needs last minute drill), and I just got past one of the worst cases of writers' block I've ever had writing drill.

I'm curious what some of you other guys do (particularly drum corps guys) when you've got a page that just won't come out. What is your process? Do you go through several versions of the drill, or does everything flow readily for you?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a slow year for me, mercifully, I am only writing six shows - three competitive.

The writer's block thing comes up - for me at least - more often with the larger groups. The myriad of options when working with larger numbers tends to create the impasse in my brain. As always, the music leads to the way out of the block. Staying true to the musical source I have to work with usually leads to a way out. If not, then it's off to the arranger for a subtle rewrite if possible on their end of things.

gil

Consulting for 2 and maybe a 3rd... Only doing one drill writing gig. Large group though with SERIOUS insturmentation problems. Staging is giving me nightmares. Plus I have duling band directors with that group... One wants lots of motion (which I find easier to write) the other wants less (which is what they need to do).... Geez... get you #### straight.

As far as the block... I'll go watch a movie at a theater or go hit a quick 18 holes. On the way back home, listen to the source over and over the I find I can write away. Been my solution everytime I have had any case of block.

Now I have drill writers block less then any other though.... Mainly all the writing I've done in the past is rewrites on impossible to preform drill. When I write, I actually like doing my own phrasing charts, it actually helps me get things to come together visually in my head. I'll jot down some ideas then I aproach the director(s) I'm working with (help that they are 5 minutes away). If they agree and like... It's all good.

Now the problem I have now... They have not gave me the final breakdown on insturmentation, just an estimate... Man... 200 piece band with 4 tubas!!!! YIKES!!!!

Edited by bssop97

I wrote 18 band shows last year.

This year I'm backing off some. As of right now, I've got commitments from 12 but still hope to pick up a few more.

I also wrote Memphis Sound's show this season.

When I get stuck, I walk away from the computer for a few mins. and try to come back with a clear head. if that doesn't work... I work on a different show for a while.

Edited by cavalier81

Write for a few --LOL

I watch other things. Anything visual outside our activity. I leave the house for a while . I watch TV . BUt i NEVER sit and stare at the screen without an idea of where i am going.

The music and arrangements make a world of difference also. Working with Chuck as long as i have makes it easier most of the time. As he has developed an eye and understanding of visual arranging.

Input from and about the guard helps a bunch as far as developing something.

The dots are logistics so if you dont have an idea of how you want to develope a phrase into a paragraph , then you will spin your wheels for days .

But the most helpful thing is seeing other visual things . Check out some art work to see how the lines flow. Look at some buildings see what lines and arcs were used.These have always helped me most.

JB

Write for a few --LOL

I watch other things. Anything visual outside our activity. I leave the house for a while . I watch TV . BUt i NEVER sit and stare at the screen without an idea of where i am going.

The music and arrangements make a world of difference also. Working with Chuck as long as i have makes it easier most of the time. As he has developed an eye and understanding of visual arranging.

Input from and about the guard helps a bunch as far as developing something.

The dots are logistics so if you dont have an idea of how you want to develope a phrase into a paragraph , then you will spin your wheels for days .

But the most helpful thing is seeing other visual things . Check out some art work to see how the lines flow. Look at some buildings see what lines and arcs were used.These have always helped me most.

JB

Oh....

The group I'm writing for is using Chuck.

He almost does the work for you when you look at the charts. Plus the music itself kicks ###.

Yeah... Having cool music helps too.

I wrote drill for a novice class winterguard this winter. But I'd love to do more. Can I be in the club?

Edited by frontline99

I was for about 3 years for some high school indoor lines and marching bands. But I got tired of it so I stopped.

I find a good solution to writers block (at least for when you get stuck on one page) is to watch everything leading up to that page in fast forward with the music in your head. Usually the lead-in flow combined with the musical passage renders a clear image of where the drill should go for me. I reckon this is a little easier with pyware than visualizing it all in your head in fast-mo, but that works too. Then again I don't write dozens of shows every year so who knows. Just my 2 cents.