How many fellow drill writers here?

I haven't written a drill in almost two decades, but it was done on paper. I still have some of that drill paper from back then. When I was writing drill, the music inspired the forms and moves. That meant I'd get little sleep, but it was worth it. I also wrote drill to the talent level of the members and challenge them with a few of the more difficult moves. I'd like to get back into it, but do know there is much new stuff to learn and stuff to catch up on.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Nikk....I've read your posts on the So Cal World of Pageantry Site. You get around!

Anyhow, I'm writing for 12 schools this fall (7 in California, 5 out of state) and when I get stuck I step away and watch drum corps or BOA tapes (I was the guy who won your 2003 tapes on Ebay). I do so not to rip off moves, but to cleanse the palette. I also liken it to working out at the gym with a trainer...when I get tired after a bunch of reps, my trainer will "assist me" along.

How did you get Pyware 4.04 already? I thought the latest Beta version (6/16) was 4.02?

Hey Nikk....I've read your posts on the So Cal World of Pageantry Site. You get around!

Anyhow, I'm writing for 12 schools this fall (7 in California, 5 out of state) and when I get stuck I step away and watch drum corps or BOA tapes (I was the guy who won your 2003 tapes on Ebay). I do so not to rip off moves, but to cleanse the palette. I also liken it to working out at the gym with a trainer...when I get tired after a bunch of reps, my trainer will "assist me" along.

How did you get Pyware 4.04 already? I thought the latest Beta version (6/16) was 4.02?

I've been communicating with Dustin a lot regarding some of the bigger issues with Pyware, and he's been letting me know about some of the updates. I think that if you've got 4.02, you can update from the program itself and install 4.04, but I'm not sure...the update feature might not have been in 4.02, maybe it was 4.03. Try going to the "Interactive" menu and "Check Updates" to see if you can update.

There's lots of things fixed or improved with 4.04...Dustin and/or his team over at PyGraphics are serious about making this version much better than previous ones. I must say that I've certainly enjoyed the 4.0 updated version...much easier to work with.

And thank you guys for all your suggestions: Writer's Block done, opener finished. Woot.

I write drill!

I write for 5 programs right now. Might take on one more though.As far as writers block. I usually just take some time off from looking at it. Maybe listen to the phrase thats troubling me and do some sketches. Or kick back and have a couple Guinness. :mmm: They can be quite inspiring some times.

Edited by shaq9195