Cavaliers Hornline?

I have yet to see The Cavaliers, but from listening to their APD it sounds like their ideas on brass have changed a bit. The sound is a lot more powerful and it comes across to me as quite baritone heavy. I LIKE IT!!! The power and intensity in the sound reminds me of 2000 and 2001. It sounds like they are moving some serious air as opposed to letting superior intonation carry the sound. (That's not to say the intonation is bad)

Has anyone who's actually seen them live verify a difference in the sound?

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

I saw them at a practice and at a show. I remember being struck by a realisation that the sound wasn't "crystal clear" like the brass sounds of Frameworks, Spin Cycle, etc. You all know what I mean. But their first hit, as seen and heard by me on the FSL, made my jaw drop. Wow... so loud and nice....

So to sum up, I certainly won't disagree with you. They do sound a little different than usual. This show, too, is a lot darker than the shows of the early 2000s, so that might be part of it.

didn't they increase thier hornline size by 8 to put in some euphs over the off-season?

That would probably explain some of it.

Yes - as far as I understand it, they are marching 72 horns this year as opposed to the 64 they have marched since 1993/4.

I remember seeing them earlier this season...and how huge their baritone line was...it looked like half the brass line...lol

I remember seeing them earlier this season...and how huge their baritone line was...it looked like half the brass line...lol

If I remember right from something posted earlier, I think they have 24 trumpets, 12 mellos, 16 baris, 8 euphs, and 12 tubas...

Yes - as far as I understand it, they are marching 72 horns this year as opposed to the 64 they have marched since 1993/4.

Yes, 72 horns. 24 trumpets, 12 mellos, 24 baritones, and 12 tubas. They experimented with, then cut the Yamaha euphs. The sound is still as balanced and as in tune as always - just louder.

Edited by rgortowski

Yes, 72 horns. 24 trumpets, 12 mellos, 24 baritones, and 12 tubas. They experimented with, then cut the Yamaha euphs. The sound is still as balanced and as in tune as always - just louder.

They cut out the Euphs? I don't remember hearing about this at all. I didn't pay attention to the specific horns the members were using in Lexington this year because I was watching the show itself... It's so busy! I love it!

But the sound is definitely darker...and I LOVE the volume they put out. It's still extremely in tune, too! I think this is the best thing for them...at least when they do a show concept that requires a lot of aggressive sounds.

They cut out the Euphs? I don't remember hearing about this at all. I didn't pay attention to the specific horns the members were using in Lexington this year because I was watching the show itself... It's so busy! I love it!

But the sound is definitely darker...and I LOVE the volume they put out. It's still extremely in tune, too! I think this is the best thing for them...at least when they do a show concept that requires a lot of aggressive sounds.

Yes, I believe they cut them in pre-season. Not worth the problems they encountered. For one thing, the Cavaliers drill gets so close that the length of the euphs were causing some issues.

Yes, I agree that the nature of the show calls for some "äggressive" playing! The more I hear it, the more I am appreciating this show. It has really great potential.

Edited by rgortowski