Cadets Question

Coming from a member of the 2000 hornline...he told me that Hop spoke to the corps right before they performed on Finals night and said "Don't be surprised if you guys come out in a tie tonight" (like a prophet or something) He said it took the wind out of their sails and they had a mediocre show. Hop ended up being right.

I'd love to tell you that is an urban legend, but he tells me that story everytime we talk about that show.

I was there, please get facts correct. He told the corps that AFTER their performance.

I was there, please get facts correct. He told the corps that AFTER their performance.

which makes it even more voo-doo-ish :laugh:

I didn't see Garfield in 1981, so I couldn't say about that. G would know better than I would. Bridgemen were mighty tough that year. From 82 on in the 80s they seemed to be able to peak at the right time. Even when they didn't win, shows like 86 really came into its own by season's end. The 1988 show, while not their strongest offering, really cleaned up and was only 1 point from a championship (Madison did not perform as well as they did in semis, or it would not have been close). And in 1989 they came in 5th, yet I am not sure the didn't peak. The problem in 1989 was too much changing of the show. Too many re-writes. They were young in 1989, and you could see the talent just ooozing from that corps...and we ALL saw it in 1990. In the 1990s I think the only time they failed to peak in August was 1999. That show sort of flattened out after all the changes.

Regardless of where they place, the one thing you can't take away from them is that they seem to know how to max things out in August and push, push, push for that ultimate show during finals week. Having said that, they, like many corps, have left some of their best performances on the field on semi finals night. A finals performance can be a nerve wracking thing, so it's not uncommon. The Blue Devils have been the kings of laying it down on finals night, more so than any other corps.

Jonathan

How bout you tell the Cadet alum that told me to get his facts straight...or better yet, you can all work it out yourself. I'm just relaying the story. He says it happened before, who knows...I was up in the stands.