Cadets Question

they tied for first place in 2000... i guess they could have gotten first by themselves if they didn't fizzle :)

so you know how everyone says the cadets are an august corps... that they surge towards the end usually

well have they ever fizzled towards the end? i know in 2000 they kind of did, but are there other occurances?

Maybe 1981 ?? LOL...there really hasnt been any instances of them fizzling out in August, they either win or gain momentum, their trademark. I only say 81 because earlier in the season, they nipped the heels of the Bridgemen but fell back behind them by Montreal.

~G~

so you know how everyone says the cadets are an august corps... that they surge towards the end usually

well have they ever fizzled towards the end? i know in 2000 they kind of did, but are there other occurances?

I wish my corps could have fizzled out into a championship :P

1996 and 1999 come to mind immediately, I'm sure there are other years where they were caught rather than surpassing corps come August. Vanguard passed them in late July 2004.

What exactly happened to the Cadets in 2000? Obviously their finals performance was not as strong as their semifinals performance. That was such a great show though...what can that really be attributed to?

Edited by Hrothgar15

What exactly happened in 2000? Obviously their finals performance was not as strong as their semifinals performance. That was such a great show though...what can that really be attributed to?

According to Hop, overconfidance. I think he warned last years corps about it and used 2000 as an example.

Coming from a member of the 2000 hornline...he told me that Hop spoke to the corps right before they performed on Finals night and said "Don't be surprised if you guys come out in a tie tonight" (like a prophet or something) He said it took the wind out of their sails and they had a mediocre show. Hop ended up being right.

I'd love to tell you that is an urban legend, but he tells me that story everytime we talk about that show.

Self-fulfilling prophecy eh?

What a great thing to say to your corps just before they take the field! You can't BUY *that* kind of possitive influence!

This post has been brought to you by the ACME Sarcas-o-matic 2000.

Edited by geluf

This post has been brought to you by the ACME Sarcas-o-matic 2000.

I want my money back on this contraption. It doesn't peel garlic like you said it would!!!!! :(

Edited by Danpod

Coming from a member of the 2000 hornline...he told me that Hop spoke to the corps right before they performed on Finals night and said "Don't be surprised if you guys come out in a tie tonight" (like a prophet or something) He said it took the wind out of their sails and they had a mediocre show. Hop ended up being right.

I'd love to tell you that is an urban legend, but he tells me that story everytime we talk about that show.

I was in the stands that night and after they read BD's score, I jokingly said in a Brandt Crocker-ish voice "now we have a tie." After the announcement, some older lady turned around to me and asked "how did you know?" :laugh: