Rain-Outs and Gym Shows

Not quite two weeks ago I was very disappointed to attend the Benson, NC show that was rained out. Even though the rain was stopping, the show was moved into the gym. After four deafening and garbled stand-still performances I went outside, to find the better show was the corps warming up in the parking lot with no rain falling. I understand that the field was probably soaked and perhaps dangerous, but I'm wondering if someone could help me understand rain-out procedures and decisions. I've heard of DCI finals performed between rain showers (Orlando), so who makes the call as to when to play inside and when to play outside?

Specifically, what about the Allentown show coming up in August? I might be able to make it to that one. If it looks like the rain is stopping or there are passing showers, will the show go on on a wet field, or will it be cancelled? Postponed?

Thanks for your help.

I'd be interested to know the answer to this one, too. I remember Crown performing in the rain in Orlando...wet flags and all! I think that there was earlier thread that stated that the corps directors get together before the show and subjectively decide whether or not to march. But what I don't know is if there are any guidelines. A standstill outside is disappointing, but a standstill in the gym is really hard to listen to.

In many cases, rain outs are simply out of the control of the corps, DCI, or the organization running the show. The school is the ultimate authority when it comes to rain outs, and that authority is often at the discretion of the athletic director. We must remember that in many, not all, cases, these schools that are used for shows and for practice are also being used by the schools football teams. Most teams are already well into 1-a-day sessions, with 2-a-day session coming at the end of the summer. Although most of these teams use practice fields, the bottom line is that many athletic directors hold the right to call a show or event in which the event, in conjunction with the weather, may cause damage to the field. It costs the school money to replace turf, fix field conditions. I am sure the corps and DCI can offer to help with the costs, but you are also talking about the time it takes for a field to recover from the damage.

So, yes, shows are usually called to protect the marching members and also to get fans inside if the threat of rain looks to be long term, but in other cases it can be that the athletic director simply says NO. The field does belong to the school, and ultimately they can say no. As far as they are concerned, the most important use for the field is for the football team. And I would tend to agree. The community forked over the tax dollars for the field, and it was primarily done so for football. We are simply guests, and beggars can't be choosers. If we don't like it, then we should build our own stadiums. But we must show respect for all school property and those fields.

If I was the athletic director at that North Carolina school system, I also would have said NO, and had them use the gym, especially considering the amount of rain that came down that day.

This is why astro-turf or artificial turn stadiums are the best for DCI purposes.

Jonathan

Not quite two weeks ago I was very

Specifically, what about the Allentown show coming up in August? I might be able to make it to that one. If it looks like the rain is stopping or there are passing showers, will the show go on on a wet field, or will it be cancelled? Postponed?

Thanks for your help.

Allentown is a regional and determines quarterfinals performance order (I think they still do it that way), so if it rains the corps will wait it out. In 2004 the Glassmen took the field at Allentown only to have to stop in the closer because of the rain (best show of my life... better than finals because the crowd was eating it up!). We had to wait out the storm and do our show again and the Cavies didn't perform until 1 in the morning or so. So, if the system is still the same, you will get to see corps at Allentown if you are willing to wait out any in climate weather.

Allentown is a regional and determines quarterfinals performance order (I think they still do it that way), so if it rains the corps will wait it out. In 2004 the Glassmen took the field at Allentown only to have to stop in the closer because of the rain (best show of my life... better than finals because the crowd was eating it up!). We had to wait out the storm and do our show again and the Cavies didn't perform until 1 in the morning or so. So, if the system is still the same, you will get to see corps at Allentown if you are willing to wait out any in climate weather.

When it started lightning is when the DCI officials called it off. LancerFi and I were soaked so we went to a near by restaurant to get some ice cream & coffee. We didn't go back, although I kind of wished we had but we thought for sure they would cancel the night.

As a performer, I marched in falling rain, wet flags and all. This was in 82, 84, and 85, when the velocity of marching was much less than today.

As someone involved with show promotion, there is nothing more agonizing than the weather playing into a show. NO ONE wins when a competition is rained out! The corps miss a valuable opportunity to be scored. The souvenir operations surely do not sell as much. The fans miss an opportunity to be entertained with a marching show.

Now, the standstill. Usually when the weather has been consistently bad for a long period of time (Benson, NC, probably Chesapeake, VA), the field, if not a well-draining field, will hold too much water for marching safety. Sure, you the fan want to see the show on the field, but is it worth it to see a member slip, fall, break a limb and miss the remainder of the season? (this happened at NightBEAT several years ago... the young lady had one week left before finals and she spent it on crutches)

From what I understand, the show promoters, the DCI representative, and the directors of the participating corps gather on the field to assess the situation. It has been my observation that the DCI rep and the directors carry the most weight. The show promoter can beg and plead (as he will be the one to catch the most heat when the corps directors and the DCI rep are well out of town), but may still be only able to offer a "musical program only" performance to the fans. This is better than NOTHING. Albeit, not a marched, scored show. Believe me, it is much easier for the corps to simply pack their trucks and move on to their next show site, and some have lobbied to do so. I've heard a show promoter really have to press the point that he needed to give his paying fans SOMETHING for their ticket dollar.

Now let's get to the dollars. The corps get paid whether they march or not. There is a contract to be paid to DCI by the show promoter, that then gets distributed to the corps. Things that do not get waived just because a show becomes a standstill: stadium rental fees, security fees, EMT fees, all promotion expenses. Just because a show is rained out doesn't mean those debts disappear.

These kids that march drum corps sometimes invest thousands of dollars each season to march. When you break down the number of judged performances they are involved in, I would venture to say that a kid marching paid MORE to be in that show than you, the ticket buyer, paid to be there to watch him/her.

Are you taking a risk when you purchase a ticket to an outdoor event? Yes. Sporting events can be rescheduled. The drum corps season is planned and locked in before it even begins.

If you are unwilling to risk being disappointed when the weather ruins a marching competition, then don't take the risk by buying a ticket. I am most certain that most policies involving drum corps show tickets state NO REFUNDS.

I believe the reason why shows are delayed or rescheduled at the DCI Finals sites is because the corps have no other shows to get to afterward.

Edited by 27SOA