why making Finals is so important

Please reconcile these two statements. You have contradicted yourself.

I will clarify.

"Excellent for DIV II" means something different than "excellence"

A corps can be "excellent for DIV II" and still not be "excellent."

For example, Magic 2002 was "excellent for DIV II" because they were good with respect to other DIV II corps. But they were not "excellent" because they were not as good as Cavaliers 2002.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So corps that have beaten the Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers fall where in your theory? Crossmen has beaten all these corps, not in finals but during a season. You only base what you think is the "best" with the top 3 in finals. I say bologna! I'm glad all corps are different and are ran differently. I wouldn't want to see all corps running around on the field with a concept like Cadets. It would get boring after while. It's like everyone having to eat the one and only flavor of ice cream. :ph34r:

Just because the Crossmen beat the Cadets in some mid-season show in the 70's does not make that particular crossmen show better than, for example, cavaliers 2002.

There are a lot of different flavors of ice cream out there right now. I think that the majority of that ice cream is of poor quality. I'm not saying make all the ice cream vanilla, I'm saying keep all the flavors, just make the ice cream better.

You win. I agree. I only care about good shows, like "BLAST!". I am a fan of "BLAST!", and anything that is of lesser quality, i.e. ALL DCI corps, isn't special to me. "BLAST!" is professional musicians performing in a Broadway Show, DCI is amateurs on a football field. NONE of them measure up to my standards of excellence. I'm going to judge every group on the same scale as "BLAST!". I'm not going to call any DCI corps excellent, unless it is as excellent as, or better than "BLAST!". "BLAST!" has set the bar. If you are like The Cadets, Blue Devils, and Cavaliers, you are not excellent. Even if you say, "well they are DCI top 3", you still can't say they are as good as "BLAST!" Any DCI corps will never be that good. Sheesh.

Blast is not similar enough to drum corps to work in this analogy.

You win. I agree. I only care about good shows, like "BLAST!". I am a fan of "BLAST!", and anything that is of lesser quality, i.e. ALL DCI corps, isn't special to me. "BLAST!" is professional musicians performing in a Broadway Show, DCI is amateurs on a football field. NONE of them measure up to my standards of excellence. I'm going to judge every group on the same scale as "BLAST!". I'm not going to call any DCI corps excellent, unless it is as excellent as, or better than "BLAST!". "BLAST!" has set the bar. If you are like The Cadets, Blue Devils, and Cavaliers, you are not excellent. Even if you say, "well they are DCI top 3", you still can't say they are as good as "BLAST!" Any DCI corps will never be that good. Sheesh.

Also I disagree with you in that I do not believe "Blast!" to be superior to some drum corps shows. I fins the visual element of "Blast!" to be far too crowded and limited as it is on a stage. Even if "Blast!" was similar enough in its formal elements I would still find inferior as a marching show to some drum corps productions. Although apparently you would not.

But is there anything in your ratings scale between "excellent" and "poor"? As with most things in life, this is where the majority falls. To lump everything that is simply "not excellent" into the "poor" category I think does a disservice to all the gains and growth opportunities in between (and maybe even diminishes your potential enjoyment of the activity, if I may be so bold). What happens when a show comes along that blows away Cavaliers 2002? Will you then bemoan Cavies 2002 as "poor quality" because it doesn't live up to Troopers 2010 (for example :) )

Part (or maybe ALL) of what makes a show (or anything) "Excellent" is that it is so far above, better, etc. than the norm. If all the shows were of the quality of the ones you mention, wouldn't we still believe that some are "more excellent than others" ?($1 to George Orwell)

A good point that any show that is considered innovative has to be done so in the context of the era - the DCI Classic Countdown is a good example. Star was real innovative in 1993; now-a-days everyone is doing the body posing, et al. Plus the judging systems change, so the 2002 Cavies might not score well at all compared to 2010 Troopers. Not to mention the 5 time DCI Champion 2015 Troopers.

Of course it is, in my opinion. It's MY standard of excellence. DCI corps don't measure up. What don't you get?

Well if "Blast!" is your personal standard of excellence and DCI corps don't measure up, would it be safe to say that you would perfer it if drum corps shows were more like "Blast!"? Since you have clearly expressed that "Blast!" is the ideal form of drum corps or activities that resemble drum corps, would I be correct in assuming that you want all drum corps to be like "Blast!"?