why making Finals is so important

This year, like most years, the competitive battle to make the 11th and 12th spots at DCI is where the real importance is. It is here that we generally find between 6-8 Corps vying for one of these 2 Finalists spots. Why is it so important ? History tells us that the competitive battle for these 2 spots is not only a competitive battle between these Corps for one of these 2 slots, it also is a very real competition for the future long range survival of these competing 6-8 Corps. As an illustration, since the inception of DCI in 1972, no less than 26 different Corps have made the 11th or 12th position at DCI Finals.( We can contrast this with the 1st and 2nd place Corps, and we have had only 11 different Corps that have filled these 2 positions, and remarkably only 4 different Corps since 1996 ). Of the 18 Corps that made either the 11th or 12 Finalist spots from 1972 to 1886, only 6 of those 18 Corps remain. While this number is very bleak, it is infinately better than the Corps that did not make one of the 11th or 12th position Finalists spots. Those Corps almost without exception from 1972 are either no longer with us, or they have downgraded to Div 2, parade or exhibition Corps type status. That's why in my view, we need to follow the competitive battle here just as much as for the same Corps at the top competing for the Title. These 3 or 4 Corps survival abilities are in no real danger. Plus, some of the most fan friendly Corps have finished in these 11th or 12th place positions over the years. Terrific Corps like Dutch Boy, Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, 27th, Argonne Rebels, North Star ,Troopers, Freelancers, Guardsmen, Commodores, Kilties, etc ). Plus today, we have fan friendly show Corps like the Colts, Crossmen, Spirit and others vying for one of these 11th and 12th Finals position. I'm very much interested in the battle for the top with the same 4 Corps we've seen since 1996. Don't get me wrong. But I'm equally interested, if not more so, with the battle this year for the 11th and 12th positions. As history has taught us, there is much more at stake for the Drum Corps community at large with these 6-8 Corps vying for one of these important 11th and 12th positions. Your thoughts on this ?

Edited by X DM

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting argument. I agree that some of the most fan freindly corps compete for the 11-12 spots, that is one reason I love to see those corps. OF THE CORPS I'VE SEEN LIVE Both the Crossmen and Spirit have fan freindly shows and will be ballting for the last few finals spots. As far as I am concerned Boston and Crown have much better products, but their shows just don't do it for me.

I have to say that in the case of non-finalist corps going defunct, correlation does not equal causation. I am sure making finals helps a corps with recruiting (staff and members) and offer the corps some level of prestige, but it is only one factor in survival. Heck, some of today's corps are very healthy and have no long range plans of being finalist corps. Maybe this arguement was valid in years past? I know we've lost a few corps that couldn't seem to make the jump to or stay in finals (Dutch Boy and Florida Wave come to mind). But I don't think we've lost a corps recently to this phenomenon.

Athought I usually enjoy the race for 1st, and just love the performance level of every top 12 corps, there is something magical about making the Top 12 for the first time, or just edging in, or making it back. I'm looking forward to the race this year.

I think most people forget what really makes this activity important to all of us. I am very interested in the scores, placements, and the overall competitiveness of this activity but we do lose sight of what really made this experience worthwhile. Its the hours of rehearsal, bus rides, down time, and various sleeping arrangements that make this activity what really stands out in our memories. I think if directors and boards throughout this activity concentrated more on those aspects they would find themselves ahead rather than what many of them find themselves now.

Good point about some Corps who have been able to survive by simply not overreaching, but by staying within their own competitive abilities and goals. The Spartans from Nashua, NH. comes to mind as just one example. This Corps has been able to sustain themselves from the 60's very well. And there are a few others as well.......I've always thought the National touring model adopted by DCI may not have been the model that best served the long range interests, vitality and competitiveness of the activity. Maybe DCI might have been better served in the early years of it's development in only allowing Corps to regionally travel. Make the Regional Finals in 4 areas of the Country the qualifer for the Nationals. The top 3 Corps from those regionals would then go and compete in the Quarters, Semi's, Finals. It could be weighted here with maybe one region getting to send 4 Corps, and another region with less Corps in that region would send 2 Corps. It was primarily the national touring debt that sunk these Corps financially, and also hurt many of the local circuits interest and competitiveness........ Oh well, that's monday morning quarterbacking by me. I guess it's easy to be critical of what we know now, but didn't neccessarily know back then.

Edited by X DM

Making Finals was important to me because I was very performance oriented. The long rehearsals were fine and I love every single friend I've made in my 2 years on tour but for me it was all about shining up the horn, putting on that uniform and putting on a great show. Finals was just one more chance to do what I loved. It was just about having fun. We used to say, "It doesn't matter how low the score is on Finals Night. What are they gonna do? Put you in 13th?"

Besides, chances are the first time people ever see drum corps is a recording of Finals. You see all the people in the stands and see how good the corps are and they're hooked.

I'd agree with that too. There are lots of Corps that finished 12th that wished that they finished one or two spots higher. But there are more Corps much more disappointed that they finished say 13th or 14th, instead of 12th. That's a shame, because over the years, there have been some very entertaining Corps that some of us may not be that familiar with because they finished just out of the top 12. I do give DCI credit for posting the Corps just out of the top 12 on DCI Pass. There is some nice musical offerings with these Corps that finished just out of the Top 12. The Crossmen last year come immediately to mind for me.

Edited by X DM

I'm reminded of something Greg Orwoll says at camps for the Colts.

(Paraphrasing here) 'the colts have probably been the most consistant corps in the activity, placement-wise. Try to find another corps who has been consistantly 13th place come finals week.'

The Colts organization is a very healthy one, for reason stated above about directors caring more about the logistical, and living arrangements than placing top 5. It has been said that the Colts are an entry corps (meaning marching one season then "stepping up" to a "better" corps) I from many vets telling me that they may have had this in mind when they started to march Colts, they have since completely thrown that out the window and fall in love the this Corps.

It probably the greatest feeling in the world to march for the ring or just make finals, but also as said above, it really about the time spent on those horrid summer days that make drum corps what it is; A life changing event. There's the time before Drum Corps, and then there's Life after Drum Corps.

For me 2002> = BC 2003< = AC

I'm reminded of something Greg Orwoll says at camps for the Colts.

(Paraphrasing here) 'the colts have probably been the most consistant corps in the activity, placement-wise. Try to find another corps who has been consistantly 13th place come finals week.'

The Colts organization is a very healthy one, for reason stated above about directors caring more about the logistical, and living arrangements than placing top 5. It has been said that the Colts are an entry corps (meaning marching one season then "stepping up" to a "better" corps) I from many vets telling me that they may have had this in mind when they started to march Colts, they have since completely thrown that out the window and fall in love the this Corps.

It probably the greatest feeling in the world to march for the ring or just make finals, but also as said above, it really about the time spent on those horrid summer days that make drum corps what it is; A life changing event. There's the time before Drum Corps, and then there's Life after Drum Corps.

For me 2002> = BC 2003< = AC

Colts have finished 13th twice, I believe ( 2005, 1997 ) One Corps comes immediately to mind for me that might have been more " consistently in 13th place " come Finals week. Dutch Boy. They were 13th in '88 missing Finals by 2 tenths.......13th in '90 missing Finals by 9 tenths........ 13th in '91 missing Finals by 5 tenths ( finished 12th in '89 ). By '92-93 they were out of Div.1

The Troopers from '81-84 were 13th to 15th all 4 straight years just missing Finals. Like you said, the Colts are no stranger to just missing Finals either. The Colts have also showed their ability to make the Finals Night show by finishing in the 11th or 12th positions too. Probably more so than any other Corps in memory. The Colts finished in either 11th or 12th place 5 times since 1993. ( also finished 9th and 10th in '95 and '96 )

Edited by X DM

One Corps comes immediately to mind for me that might have been more " consistently in 13th place " come Finals week. Dutch Boy. They were 13th in '88 missing Finals by 2 tenths.......13th in '90 missing Finals by 9 tenths........ 13th in '91 missing Finals by 5 tenths ( finished 12th in '89 ). By '92-93 they were out of Div.1

The Troopers from '81-84 were 13th to 15th all 4 straight years just missing Finals. Like you said, the Colts are no stranger to just missing Finals either.

Actually they missed finals in 1989 and made it in 1990 - you had those two years backwards.