Cadets Ballad

Just got the APD today. My first reaction was that the singer worked quite well with the pit during the introduction, but not so well with the horns in the ballad. She's set in quite a low register for a female soloist and I think that contributes to the way her timbre and vibrato are shifting all over the place. At any rate, you never hear real clarity to the vocal line set against the brass ensemble. Also, the singer had some performance/technique issues - when she sustains her note after the horn cutoff at 09:30, the wonky intonation and lack of support are pretty evident.

I quite like the brass in the ballad, though, and maybe they'll refine both the technicalities and the techique of the singer over the rest of the summer.

Sorry, but this ballad, IMHO, is VERY mediocre. I am a big fan of ballads in drum corps shows. Last year's Cadets ballad may be my all-time favorite. It certainly ranked a 10. I've listened to this year's a few time (to give it a chance) and it is a 5 at best. Of the shows I've heard this year I feel the ballads for Bluecoats, Phantom, Scouts,

Cavies, and Crossmen are much better than this.

I generally dont like vocals in shows but the Cadets ballad this yeah HAS to have them. I was familiar with the original well before I heard the Cadets play it this year

The original is called "Sanvean" ('I am your Shadow') by Lisa Gerrard (the lady that sang in the Gladiator).

IMO it woud not make sense w/o vocals. Find or downlaod the original and I think a lot of you will see what I mean. It is beautiful

Edited by 90'sMelloguy