Suggestion for the mods...

Ok...can we agree that -unfortunately- negativity is going to exist as long as DCP allows anonymous posting and as long as corps continue to push the envelope? Can we also agree that a lot of people are sick and tired of the anti-amps, anti-Cadets, anti- _______ brigades?

That being said ( :P ), I propose that a thread be formed that will primarily be designed to encompass all those people who want to beetch* and moan about those types of things. That way, the beetching and moaning is self-contained, and no one can complain about it because if they open that thread, then they KNOW what they are getting into.

I know some will say that it will encourage more negativity...I don't think so. I think that the negativity is here to stay, and we might as well create a space for it to exist...

That way, any time that a new anti-whatever thread is started, it can be merged into the mega anti-everything thread. You can even create a skull-and-crossbones icon to go next to such threads to warn people of the DANGER of those things. :) (Or a radioactive icon, heh heh)

Better yet would be an entirely new board for such things, I mean...if we have a Marketplace board, a Show Review board, then you could easily make a board where those that have specific complaints can congregate, and again...if anyone beetches about such posts...you didn't have to go to that board, dummy!

This might provide an outlet for those who want to discuss these things, while also providing relief for those who want no part of them.

*I'm not mispelling, I'm writing with a Mexican accent. :P

P.S. Buy my DCI tickets so I can afford to go to the Atlanta show! I'm just a poor graduate student. :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=330002558441

Edited by The Tsar

So, basically, what you're suggesting is to make DCP a more care bear type place than it already is. If you think here is bad, mosey on over to the Current Events forums sometime. :)

Although I understand where you're coming from in regards to getting rid of the ne'er-do-wells we see here, people will use your idea to take any sort of critcism or debate and say it belongs in "the thread". :P We'd be left with 15-20 "What's the Best 3rd Soprano Section in 1905" threads you probably don't care for either.

DCP is a microcosm of the drum corps fans out there...not a big representation...but a fairly unique blend of FMM's, judges, instructors and everyone else. It reflects what is "at issue" within the activity itself.

I think it's a little disingenious to what DCP is all about to just take complaints and stick them in no mans land.

Maybe the moderation during the season can be tightened up a bit (as it only seems to be reall bad around this time of the year), and there could be some work done with the IP addresses to root out the trolls/multiple posters, though. :)

Not that I'm a big fan of regulation, but it seems that there's one thing I think should be tightened. Is it not possible to make some basic form of self-identification a requirement? When I see a post that I might respond to, I usually check out the poster's profile if there's no identifying information in the signature.

You don't know if you're replying to a 13 year old clarinet player who's never even seen a show or Dan Vanatta. I think that would help a lot in scoping a reply (or passing on one; I'd only argue with Dan over white shoes....).

My my - seems the Tsar should change his moniker to something a bit more Soviet . . . <**>

Even though he's a fellow Seminole, I don't think he's really deserving of General Secretary Nikk. OK, maybe Comrade Nikk if he buys some of last year's SCV t-shirts. :rock:

So, basically, what you're suggesting is to make DCP a more care bear type place than it already is. If you think here is bad, mosey on over to the Current Events forums sometime. :)

Although I understand where you're coming from in regards to getting rid of the ne'er-do-wells we see here, people will use your idea to take any sort of critcism or debate and say it belongs in "the thread". :P We'd be left with 15-20 "What's the Best 3rd Soprano Section in 1905" threads you probably don't care for either.

DCP is a microcosm of the drum corps fans out there...not a big representation...but a fairly unique blend of FMM's, judges, instructors and everyone else. It reflects what is "at issue" within the activity itself.

I think it's a little disingenious to what DCP is all about to just take complaints and stick them in no mans land.

Maybe the moderation during the season can be tightened up a bit (as it only seems to be reall bad around this time of the year), and there could be some work done with the IP addresses to root out the trolls/multiple posters, though. :)

I think DCP is a good balance between Care-bears (lol!) and the cesspit that is RAMD. Lots of strongly worded opinion and debate - not a lot of abusive flaming. Occaisionally I think the mods have been a little quick to shut down a thread, but I guess they are just sticking to the guidelines as they are written. Overall I like it here - haven't been on RAMD for a very, very long time......

As for DCP being a microcosm - at the risk of sounding pompous I think it's the more highly educated segment of the fans - former and current members, staff, long time fans, parents of marching members etc.

Cheers

Jim

Without dissenting opinions, this entire site would be posts from "yes people". Regardless of anyone's opinion on a certain topic, they have the opportunity to add it to any relevant discussion topic. The free-flow of ideas is much more important than separating the negative opinions from the rest. Besides, it is highly subjective how to determine which ones are negative.

I equate this kind of thinking to the idea of "you don't like it, get out". That's no way to debate an issue. Most times when people post either a positive OR negative opinion, they are offering a way to make something better than before. I find it always better to get ideas from the "devil's advocate" along with the "yes people". It prevents the dangers of "group think".

Not that I'm a big fan of regulation, but it seems that there's one thing I think should be tightened. Is it not possible to make some basic form of self-identification a requirement? When I see a post that I might respond to, I usually check out the poster's profile if there's no identifying information in the signature.

You don't know if you're replying to a 13 year old clarinet player who's never even seen a show or Dan Vanatta. I think that would help a lot in scoping a reply (or passing on one; I'd only argue with Dan over white shoes....).

Welcome to the internet.

Also, you shouldn't really base the worth of an argument on who is making it.

But then, I don't have a profile filled out, so you'll probably ignore me anyway :P