I march with a certain corps...

I just recently decided to include my corps experience in my signature. I don't want people to think I represent anything other than myself so for a long time I didn't include it. Then I was like, eh, I'm not ashamed of it so why not let people know where my biases come from. Does that mean I would come on here and say things like "KK is gonna win DCI" before they folded? Heck no. I was probably one of the most critical people of them when they went inactive. But that doesn't change who I am and my experiences there and with others.

Hmm...I dunno why some are so private. I've very proud, and even more so honored, of my corps experience. It's nice to know where people are coming from online. I think it can give you a even greater appreciation of their corps. I've always felt that way about the Phantom Regiment alums that post on here.

Also gives a greater appreciation of peoples' dedication for this activity. When I see someone listing a long time period, weather if be as a marcher, support or even fan the feeling is ^OO^

Have also found people I marched against which starts some interesting posts.

I understand one not wanting to seem as though they speak for their corps when they post, but shouldn't anyone with half a brain be able to realize that you ONLY speak for yourself? Corps directors and DMs are the only ones I know of with the power to be the voice of a corps.

Also, (and this is STRICTLY a rhetorical question (kids, look it up if you don't know what it means)) is there REALLY such a thing as an "unbiased opinion?" I mean, aren't ALL opinions biased to some degree???

And does anyone know which corps disapprove of DCP postings???

Just curious... :worthy:

Just curious... :worthy:

I know the Santa Clara Vanguard has asked active members not to post on here for at least a couple of Summers now.

Every once in a while one of them will send me a message on here though. And sometimes I even get to meet them when I'm volunteering with the corps! :)

I think that if you want to put your corps name in your signature or avatar...more power to you. You were a member...you worked and sweated all summer...you paid your membership does...its the least deserve. However, understand that people are going to think of your corps whenever they read your post...and vice versa...so make sure you represent said organization well.

However, I respect people that want to keep their corps private/semi-private. I have the utmost pride and respect for the corps that I have marched...but throwing their names around really doesnt benefit me that much here online.

I've always sort of resented people that use their corps' reputation to validate their opinions...whether they are right or not. And sometimes...I have a hard time believing an opinion is impartial if I know someone is an alumnus (though I'm biased myself as well...as hard as I try not to be).

totally agree...if you have an opinion, just say it...just because you won a championship ring (or whatever) doesn't have a thing to do with your argument/discussion...

I understand one not wanting to seem as though they speak for their corps when they post, but shouldn't anyone with half a brain be able to realize that you ONLY speak for yourself? Corps directors and DMs are the only ones I know of with the power to be the voice of a corps.

Also, (and this is STRICTLY a rhetorical question (kids, look it up if you don't know what it means)) is there REALLY such a thing as an "unbiased opinion?" I mean, aren't ALL opinions biased to some degree???

Just curious... :rock:

Glassmen don't ban it outright, but there is a strong discouragement to identify oneself with the corps in any way while posting. That includes camp news, announcements, and such. Southwind was somewhat the same way. To me it seems to come from two different angles: 1) controlling the release of information, including camp reports, show announcements, and such, and 2) preventing people from "posting stupid" and reflecting negatively on the corps. The whole "half a brain" thing makes sense on the face of it, but imagine seeing someone acting like a jerk at a show while wearing a corps jacket. It's not hard to realize that people form their opinions of corps based on the way their members act.

When I was a member, I posted anonymously--my screenname was generic, and my signature only identifies that I was marching somewhere, but not where. The staff of my corps knew who I was online (they watch this place pretty closely), and I made it a point to never post anything that could remotely be construed as "insider information." Now that I'm all aged out and don't have insider information, I'm proud to state my affiliations in my signature, but knowing that, I avoid posting in a "stupid jerk" manner.

That was a bit longwinded, and I apologize, but I hope that makes sense.