After chatting with some corps parents

I was chatting with a Phantom mom at one of the recent shows. She was telling me her son had tried out for Cavies and was cut at one of the early camps. She told me that he was told he ought to try out for either Phantom, Scouts, or Colts to gain some experience. He auditioned for Phantom and was able to make it. she was telling me there are 15 other kids that tried out for Cavies, were cut and now march Phantom.

I had always thought there was a negative vybe between Cavies and Phantom, judging from a lot of comments made on these boards, but if Cavies are sending kids to Phantom after getting cut, it sounds like things must be okay between these corps now.

So just wondering, were there big conflicts at one time between these corps, or was it just a few small conflicts between a couple of members that got blown out of proportion? And is everything cool between them now?

Also was excited to talk to Blue Devils souvie person in Dubuque. It was nice to hear all the positive things she had to say about SCV and their show(haven't seen it live yet). It is so nice to see/hear about the comraderie between these corps.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a strange bond between corps--it's the competition/rivalry thing that can be VERY heated and VERY tense...but then, there's the common link of being in a most unique sport/music/entertainment activity that in my eyes and I'm sure the eyes of performers sets you apart from the rest of the world. And when organizations at the administration/management/educational level coordinate and corroborate and get along, it DOES make for a stronger activity in my eyes.

Just don't be asking me to get friendly with any Freelancers!!!

I KID, I KID!!!!

There's a strange bond between corps--it's the competition/rivalry thing that can be VERY heated and VERY tense...but then, there's the common link of being in a most unique sport/music/entertainment activity that in my eyes and I'm sure the eyes of performers sets you apart from the rest of the world. And when organizations at the administration/management/educational level coordinate and corroborate and get along, it DOES make for a stronger activity in my eyes.

Just don't be asking me to get friendly with any Freelancers!!!

I KID, I KID!!!!

Reminds me of the VK - Kingsmen rivalry, huh Ryan?

I was chatting with a Phantom mom at one of the recent shows. She was telling me her son had tried out for Cavies and was cut at one of the early camps. She told me that he was told he ought to try out for either Phantom, Scouts, or Colts to gain some experience. He auditioned for Phantom and was able to make it. she was telling me there are 15 other kids that tried out for Cavies, were cut and now march Phantom.

I had always thought there was a negative vybe between Cavies and Phantom, judging from a lot of comments made on these boards, but if Cavies are sending kids to Phantom after getting cut, it sounds like things must be okay between these corps now.

So just wondering, were there big conflicts at one time between these corps, or was it just a few small conflicts between a couple of members that got blown out of proportion? And is everything cool between them now?

There has never been anything more than the typical competitive rivaly between the two corps. It may be a greater rivalry than some because of the geographical proximity and the fact that they're typically in the same competitive set.

However, that said, I have a completely different take when hearing that the Cavaliers may have referred their "rejects" to another top 5 corps. While it may vary somewhat from corps to corps and year to year, there is rarely a substantial difference in the overall talent & experience level of the kids in the top 5 (these days, probably even the top 8) corps. The only differences are where the kids "fit" best - i.e. style, staff, management approach, etc. If a kid needs more experience before marching with a top corps, it should be with a non-finalist corps or a Division II corps.

If any top 5 corps really did refer kids that they cut to another top 5 corps, I would take that as 1 of 3 things - 1) they view themselves as having a superior talent level to their competition 2) they were hoping to reduce the talent level of their competition or 3) the kid really was good enough to march in a top corps but he just didn't fit with the style/approach of the corps and for whatever reason the staff didn't convey the rejection that way. In the case of the Cavaliers, #3 is the only one I'd believe.

Regiment is not a corps you march to "gain experience" so you can march the Cavaliers later. I can't imagine after someone marches Regiment they would then leave to march Cavies, but I could be wrong. There is most certainly a rivalry there. It would be like someone that plays for the Red Sox leaving to play for the Yankees.

My son (Cavies) has several friends that march different corps from around this area--mainly Phantom and Cavies. One of his closest friends marches Phantom--she's my oldest son's ex-girlfriend (they are always picking on each other about their corps) and his guard instructor from school, year before last, is an instructor for Phantom (she's very proud of him for making the Cavies). His friend is pretty much the one that told him he should tryout for a Corps (this was for last season). At that time Phantom wasn't auditioning male guard members (which they ended up with one in the guard last year and have several this year) --so that's when he tried out for Bluecoats. He went to the Bluecoats tryouts. He was told he was to young. Tried out when he was 15 would have been 16 during marching season. His band instructor suggested the Cavaliers after he got back from tryouts with the Coats. So he did and made it. Coasts instructors remembered him from tryouts when they saw him on tour and always were very nice and pleasant towards him. I believe he has made the Cavaliers his home--but is always in awe of the other corps and their accomplishments.

I see the competitive comraderie between the corps--but I believe they pretty much have respect for each other and their activity. It's the time of year where they are still friends--but are also foes. Friends off the field and foes on. They were basically hired to do a job. They go out on the the field and do their job (putting friendships aside and becoming opponents temporarily) and then when the war is over they put it aside and become friends again. They pick and tease each other all the time--but I always hear the congrates when they are due. After the shows when all the corps are in the parking lot they visit with their friends from other corps and talk about the show, where they go next, how's tour, etc.....

I also see this through competitive high school band and guard competitions. I'm always amazed at how each band and guard respects what the others do. Granted they may say that they didn't particularly care for one show or the other--but they always say something positive about some aspect of each show. Same as for Corps competition.

Edited by go4it

If any top 5 corps really did refer kids that they cut to another top 5 corps, I would take that as 1 of 3 things - 1) they view themselves as having a superior talent level to their competition 2) they were hoping to reduce the talent level of their competition or 3) the kid really was good enough to march in a top corps but he just didn't fit with the style/approach of the corps and for whatever reason the staff didn't convey the rejection that way. In the case of the Cavaliers, #3 is the only one I'd believe.

Yeah, with the Cavies, I'd have a hard time believing 1 or 2 as well. It seems like another possibility might be that the Cavalier staff might simply be tryingn to help midwest kids who are interested in marching in a top Div 1 corps, get into a top Div 1 corps that's geographically close.

Full disclosure - I'm a Cavalier alumni who had some good friends in Phantom when I marched.

Eric

Full disclosure - I'm a Cavalier alumni who had some good friends in Phantom when I marched.

Eric

And I'm a PR alumni who had many great friends in Cavaliers when I marched. Did we give each other sh#! all the time? Did we want to beat them? Absolutely! But when it came down to it, we were close friends and always wished each other the best.

Regiment is not a corps you march to "gain experience" so you can march the Cavaliers later. I can't imagine after someone marches Regiment they would then leave to march Cavies, but I could be wrong. There is most certainly a rivalry there. It would be like someone that plays for the Red Sox leaving to play for the Yankees.

You mean like Babe Ruth, Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon? :P

I would imagine that the Red Sox organization would not consider themselves "feeder" to the Yankees or anyone else, but that won't stop that Yankess from feeling that the Red Sox and the rest of MLB is their feeder.

I'm glad to see that the Cavaliers are referring their cuts SOMEWHERE. I don't know if all other corps do that. There pretty much are very few active div. II/III corps in the midwest, but when there were, I wonder if they were referred to any of them.

Exactly! Except Babe Ruth was sold, so it wasn't his fault.

An old joke I had with some of my corps friends....

"I don't hate the Cavaliers as an organization, I hate each one of them individually."

Again, a joke, before you attack me.

I just have a hard time listening to the Cavaliers tell a kid to go march Regiment for experience. Regiment is a destination corps, not a resume building one.