Blue Stars - Gift of Freedom

I have seen Blue Stars both with and without the narration. I thought their show was extremely well put together, and the narration was not needed to convey their message. It just becomes a distraction, especially when it is used to begin each piece of music.

I love the show overall, but please just put any notes in the programs handed out at the show, and don't distract from the wonderful performance your corps is putting on this year.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen Blue Stars both with and without the narration. I thought their show was extremely well put together, and the narration was not needed to convey their message. It just becomes a distraction, especially when it is used to begin each piece of music.

I love the show overall, but please just put any notes in the programs handed out at the show, and don't distract from the wonderful performance your corps is putting on this year.

Aww, that was a really beautiful way of putting it!!! Props to you! :)

I was really looking forward to seeing the return of the Blue Stars, I was a big fan. I'm still curious but............

Narration isn't just a drum corps problem. I was listening to "Young Person's Guide" on Sirius last week. The narrator wasn't a major conductor and had a rather thick accent. At the end, the Sirius announcer said "there are also several versions available without narration for those of you who want to enjoy the pure music". Made my day.

Allowing for amplification allowed for much more enjoyment of shows by a marginally small fraction of DCI fans, but allowed for much, much LESS enjoyment of shows by an exponentially larger amount. No, DCI is not just about the fans but about the performers as well, but how much more satisfaction are the performers getting now that they can perform shows using amplification? Little to none. Therein lies the problem. DCI went from being a win-win situation to a win-lose situation, and that's never good.

wow - you have the numbers to back that up? hmm I can play that too

Allowing live animals onto the field with fireworks and water slides would make every corps show more enjoyable for everyone except for one guy from guam.

Everyone in america drinks coffee, its true because I say so.

We should sell texas to Germany cause no one actually lives there, only a marginally small fraction of people.

I'm not going to argue amps cause thats a opinion, but to try and make statements like that , like their facts, wow...I think I'll leave it there cause I don't think I want to get drawn into the negativity that can exist here. I wish the best for you.

Allowing for amplification allowed for much more enjoyment of shows by a marginally small fraction of DCI fans, but allowed for much, much LESS enjoyment of shows by an exponentially larger amount. No, DCI is not just about the fans but about the performers as well, but how much more satisfaction are the performers getting now that they can perform shows using amplification? Little to none. Therein lies the problem. DCI went from being a win-win situation to a win-lose situation, and that's never good.

wow - you have the numbers to back that up? hmm I can play that too

Allowing live animals onto the field with fireworks and water slides would make every corps show more enjoyable for everyone except for one guy from guam.

Everyone in america drinks coffee, its true because I say so.

We should sell texas to Germany cause no one actually lives there, only a marginally small fraction of people.

I'm not going to argue amps cause thats a opinion, but to try and make statements like that , like their facts, wow...I think I'll leave it there cause I don't think I want to get drawn into the negativity that can exist here. I wish the best for you.

I'm impressed. Very detailed for your first post ever on DCP.

Maybe it would help to know how this show was conceived: During World War II, President Roosevelt delivered a speech to a joint session of Congress. In that speech, he outlined four freedoms enjoyed by America that should be spread throughout the world. His speech inspired Norman Rockwell to paint four portraits depicting these four freedoms. The pictures toured the country to raise money for the war effort.

The words you hear are from Roosevelt's speech.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/powers_of...r_freedoms.html

Last night in Indy marked my 4th viewing of the Blue Stars and, I must say, I much preferred the show without narration. The show is beautifully designed and the "Freedom" theme amply portrayed through the music and visual elements. I found the narration to be distracting and altogether unnecessary. I suppose one could argue that they're going for a "Lincoln Portrait" affect...and by coincidence, that just happens to be my least favorite Copland composition.

Maybe it would help to know how this show was conceived: During World War II, President Roosevelt delivered a speech to a joint session of Congress. In that speech, he outlined four freedoms enjoyed by America that should be spread throughout the world. His speech inspired Norman Rockwell to paint four portraits depicting these four freedoms. The pictures toured the country to raise money for the war effort.

The words you hear are from Roosevelt's speech.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/powers_of...r_freedoms.html

Who gives a crap!!!!! Thats where it belongs. We arent a playhouse or a musical theatre, no matter how many forward thinkers want it to be. I could care less the meaning of the "words" Tell it to me with your horns and drums. To say it is to take the easy way out. Now, give me the same conviction with a brass ensemble. Thats creativity.

Shame on you Blue Stars, you came a long way without the voclas, why put it in now.

~G~

I have been on the Blue Stars wagon on this board before - I think I just got off. This is disappointing news, I wonder how the members feel about it?

I hope they change their minds. I'm out of this thread now - plenty of discussions over the whys and wherefores elsewhere.

Wow! You have managed to encapsulate my feelings regarding the pitfalls of narration to a "t". :huh: I only wish the DCI corps directors could understand the harm they are doing to their product, and how the members deserve better.

I dont really wanna get into this amp no amp thing.. AGAIN.. but there was something in this post and knowing where it came from that I just had to drop in. How the members deserve better? Do you old school drum corps people really think narration and things bother many of the current members of DCI? Have to tell you, I've heard little to no complaining from people currently marching. Maybe it's just the people I talk to? I don't think so. I'm a big fan of the drum corps is evolving and taking on this and that. I don't particularly wanna go there. It's a tired subject. But to say the member's deserve better is a load of ####. Sorry, thats how I feel. It's nothing personal with you. I know you and your daughter lizzy. So ask her, would she be mad if there was narration added to her show? I doubt it. Maybe she would be. But to say the members "deserve better" really hits a nerve.