Blue Stars - Gift of Freedom

Maybe because it's coming from me, but I find plenty of tangible thoughts in my rant. It's not the typical, well if you don't like it stay home. I wanted to bring a point to you that it's seemed to me you keep forgetting. The one thing on DCP everyone seems to be able to agree on is that the kids, the members, are doing great things still and that it IS still in the end about the well being of members. Well, what about the s*it you keep spouting on and on about in here? Is that with the best interest of members in mind? Doesn't seem like it to me and a lot of times, I am that kid on the field. Your thoughts and views aren't gonna change the way I feel about things, and I don't expect to change yours.

And as far as nothing left, little over dramatic don't you think? You're my then entitled to your thoughts and to even share your thoughts, so really, I just hope it makes you feel better in the end. Or how about the solution people always offer but nobody ever seems to want to take. If you don't like the direction of things, or the design of shows or whatever thing you're gonna b*tch about today, when are you gonna start a drum corps or heck, maybe your own circuit and do something about it? Or is it just that much easier to daily come on the internet and complain about it?

You bet its easier to come to the internet and complain about it. And as long as theres a forum to do so, I will. And praise what I feel like praising. And continue to go to shows, and finals and support drum corps the way I see fit. I will never keep from stating my opinion, no matter how harsh it is. I wouldnt expect you to keep from saying or doing what you feel, I expect the same courtesy. If it bothers you, dont read it. Nobody is forcing you right ?

If you at the end of theday are proud of your experiences, then great, nobody can take it away from you, and no rants on a message board can cheapen it either. But, as long as theres a palce to vent my opinions, I will.

~G~

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Without even being there I almost 100% sure I know why this happend. Judges play dumb to no end, maybe it's not even playing. You run into a lot, especially with competitive high schools doing a theme show of some sort or telling some sort of story, where you get to critique and the judges talk about how "they just didn't get the concept.." and blah blah blah. Well unfortunatly, sometimes you have to dumb things down to make sure the judges get it. Seems to me that this is the case here.

High school ?? Band ?? DUmb it down for the judges to get it ?? ...Im starting to "get it" .

<**>

~G~

I will never keep from stating my opinion, no matter how harsh it is. I wouldnt expect you to keep from saying or doing what you feel, I expect the same courtesy. If it bothers you, dont read it. Nobody is forcing you right ?

You should also realize, then, that people who vehemently disagree with your opinion are going to disagree with it in the same spirit with which you pronounce that opinion. And they aren't trying to silence you or squash discussion or anything of the sort. They are ALSO just stating their opinion about YOUR opinion.. and I guess they could say to you, "If it bothers you, don't read it. Nobody is forcing you right?" And that would be enough for you?

On most streets, traffic moves both directions.

Stef

Having just seen Blue Stars' narration last night in Stillwater, here are my thoughts (for whatever they're worth):

I really liked the narration in the beginning. I think it set up the show well, and fit very well with the opening musical motives. As for the narration that introduced each of the freedoms interspersed throughout the show, I didn't really think it added very much. If you haven't seen it, as each section commenced, the narrator would announce, "The gift of ____" and then follow with a couple of explanatory sentences. It was these expanatory sentences that I felt didn't really fit - most of the time it was covering something musical happening on the field. If the interspersed narration is to be kept, it seems like all they need is the "The gift of ____" sentence and that's it.

My $.02. Oh, and on a somewhat related, I'm really digging the body movement they've added. Very cool.

You should also realize, then, that people who vehemently disagree with your opinion are going to disagree with it in the same spirit with which you pronounce that opinion. And they aren't trying to silence you or squash discussion or anything of the sort. They are ALSO just stating their opinion about YOUR opinion.. and I guess they could say to you, "If it bothers you, don't read it. Nobody is forcing you right?" And that would be enough for you?

On most streets, traffic moves both directions.

Stef

I defend the right of everyone to state their opinions. I hae fought for those that disagree with me to still be able to be heard. I have told those that vehemently disagree with me to continue to stand up for themsleves. I encourage anyone and everyone to speak up for themselves no matter how popular or unpoular their stance is on anything. Everyone has the right to be heard and the right to express themselves.

You can run a hsitory on my posts and see numerous times I defended folks right to their opinions and how valid ALL opinions are, all sides.

Im not sure what you, Stef, are trying to add or say here, but whatever it is, wether it went over my head or not, is fine.

~G~

I defend the right of everyone to state their opinions. I hae fought for those that disagree with me to still be able to be heard. I have told those that vehemently disagree with me to continue to stand up for themsleves. I encourage anyone and everyone to speak up for themselves no matter how popular or unpoular their stance is on anything. Everyone has the right to be heard and the right to express themselves.

You can run a hsitory on my posts and see numerous times I defended folks right to their opinions and how valid ALL opinions are, all sides.

Im not sure what you, Stef, are trying to add or say here, but whatever it is, wether it went over my head or not, is fine.

~G~

I'll give you that. No doubt. We clearly see we don't agree but both here and in the past, we've at least been able to have civil discussion unlike what happens lots of times on here. But I see Stef's part too where there's times people think they can hate something and not expect the other side. Don't think that's the case in the situation.

And no, nothing you would do or say would take away from any of my experiences. I could be that kid next year running around the field with my mic singing/narrating, come back from tour and see you hate me, and that's not gonna change me in any way. But what I'm asking is why do you keep it up? You say you will support corps in any way you see fit, which I think is cool. I dont know all, for all I know you're paying for 1000 kids DCI fees. But if you dislike amps and vocals, my question is, who or what are you supporting? Seems like you should move into the DCA realm to me. You dont appear to be supporting anything that is going on in DCI right now, so why keep holding out this hope you seem to have?

With the introduction of narration to their program, have they given up on their musical abilities in a last ditch attempt to improve their score?

The design staff of the corps stated on the Blue Stars Forums that they intended to have the narration added to the show from the very beginning. It was a strategic decision on when to add it. So, to answer your question, no, it was not a last ditch effort to improve their score. besides, their scores have been improving steadily. Not leaps and bounds, but a steady increase.

Not to speak for G .... but he answered your question right here:

Im glad you can get something out of it. As a fan I still can too, when that changes, Ill decide to leave, until then. No.

~G~

Disliking something about the nature of the activity currently, even to an extreme degree, doesn't mean that the entire activity is tainted is such a way that walking away is the only acceptable recourse. How money is spent, how ovations are given (or not), how criticism is doled out, are all up the individual and doesn't necessarily mean that its time to abandon ship. Disagree all you want with the opinion, but, speaking for only myself, I'd rather have guys like G complaining about what he sess and hears rather than turning his back completely.

Not to speak for G .... but he answered your question right here:

Disliking something about the nature of the activity currently, even to an extreme degree, doesn't mean that the entire activity is tainted is such a way that walking away is the only acceptable recourse. How money is spent, how ovations are given (or not), how criticism is doled out, are all up the individual and doesn't necessarily mean that its time to abandon ship. Disagree all you want with the opinion, but, speaking for only myself, I'd rather have guys like G complaining about what he sess and hears rather than turning his back completely.

Liam, thanks. I did miss that line from him. And in response to what you said, I personally would rather have average fans that don't know the history of corps or anything but just know that what the members are doing is amazing, then a bunch of people not applauding or leaving before a show starts because of something we're gonna do. That's my thoughts as someone out there on the field. I could very well be in the minority, but hey, that's just my opinion and feelings.

Liam, thanks. I did miss that line from him. And in response to what you said, I personally would rather have average fans that don't know the history of corps or anything but just know that what the members are doing is amazing, then a bunch of people not applauding or leaving before a show starts because of something we're gonna do. That's my thoughts as someone out there on the field. I could very well be in the minority, but hey, that's just my opinion and feelings.

I agree with that. I don't like seeing people leave the stands "to get a hotdog" or whatever, or people not applauding the efforts. Honestly, that is a very small minority as far as I can see. Most folks stand and applaud the efforts, stay for all the corps, etc., and then maybe come here to rant!!! That is what DCP is for, in part. Lots of folks have heated discussions here and then still show up early at shows, stay late, and cheer for all the performances. I agree there are exceptions, but most people care enough about the activity and the members to argue so passionately about its future.